S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Rear Wheel Bearing replacement write-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned mainly US cars/trucks until now and comparing this writeup and experience replacing about 15 GM/FD/CC bearings: 1. This is a PITA compared to GM cars and trucks 2. must be made to tighter tolerances on smoother roads compared to what the US offers 3. The german wheel bearings have about the same or shorter life. 4. maybe this is a difference between wide roller and 2 all bearings. 5. the big 3 anticipate the need to swap and require no press.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the excellent write-up Mark! Really appreciate it, I was helping a friend of mine with a rear wheel bearing change on his '05 A4. Caliper frame bolts were rusted so bad had to cut the heads off with a gas axe. The bearings didn't require pressing though, tapped them out with a wooden drift. Installation of the new bearing was just as easy. My problem came about when torqueing up the bearing retaining bolt. As soon as you put 80 ft-lbs of torque on the bearing you can no longer turn it, didn't even bother trying to get the 180 deg turn after assembly. Had it off and on again twice, cleaning in-between attempts and applying a fresh coat of grease to aid installation with the exact same results. As soon as the torque is applied to the bolt the bearing will not turn. I'm starting to think it might be the wrong bearing. Am I missing something?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bbgun
Thanks for the excellent write-up Mark! Really appreciate it, I was helping a friend of mine with a rear wheel bearing change on his '05 A4. Caliper frame bolts were rusted so bad had to cut the heads off with a gas axe. The bearings didn't require pressing though, tapped them out with a wooden drift. Installation of the new bearing was just as easy. My problem came about when torqueing up the bearing retaining bolt. As soon as you put 80 ft-lbs of torque on the bearing you can no longer turn it, didn't even bother trying to get the 180 deg turn after assembly. Had it off and on again twice, cleaning in-between attempts and applying a fresh coat of grease to aid installation with the exact same results. As soon as the torque is applied to the bolt the bearing will not turn. I'm starting to think it might be the wrong bearing. Am I missing something?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
did you get it figured out?
Old 01-20-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Casey, yes I did. Sorry for not updating, bad bearing from the manufacturer. Ordered another and it bolted right up with no binding issues.