S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Replacing Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Clutch

OK, I'm considering buying a 2000 S4. There aren't many up here in Alaska, but this car is clean and has 81k miles, not too bad for ten years.

The seller says that the clutch is going out soon and will include a clutch kit (OEM Clutch Kit, 02-045) and new brake pads too. So it looks like I have a bit of work to do if I buy it.

I feel that I can do it myself, and the shop down the street pretty much confirmed the idea that I will do it myself if I do buy. They claim to want $1k for labor alone.

Any opinions? Anyone have an idea how hard and how long it will take to throw the new kit in? I have access to a lift and entire shop.

Anyone have access to an Online 2000 Audi S4 Manual?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A clutch in a B5 S4 is no small simple job man...... Regardless of whether you have access to a lift and full shop DO NOT go into this thinking it's some easy cake walk job, because it's anything but easy. The job is a royal pain in the ***** even if you've done it before (that coming from a Audi/VW tech who's done several clutch/flywheel jobs on B5 S4's). Something else that should be noted is that f you have plans of doing ANY kind of mods to the car regardless of however small you may think they are, an OEM stock replacement clutch isn't going to cut it at all. There are several different levels of clutch upgrades to choose from at various different price points. If you don't plan on doing a ton of mods, but do want to do some an RS4 PP & Disc is a good option that won't hit you as hard as a Spec, Clutchmasters, etc kit will........ I could keep going and going......

Moral of the story is that NOTHING WHAT-SO-EVER is ever simple on a B5 S4! Can I get an AMEN from anyone?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go for it. I changed mine on four jack stands with two jacks. Regardless of what you may think - you're best best is to remove the transmission with the engine. Took me about 40hrs until it was all said and done, but that included all new fluids, coilovers, timing belt and CV boot replacements.

My stock clutch went out at ~170k miles and it was chipped since 100k so I'm suprised he thinks the clutch is shot. If he hasn't bought it, get a cermaic Stg 3 clutch from VAST - you'll love it.

While you're at it you may want to do the following:

1. 4:1 diff
2. VAST electric fan kit
3. CV boots in the front
4. new engine mounts
5. LWFW
6. DTS with new transmission mounts
7. Timing belt w/ water pump

There's plenty of help on AW and quattroworld when you get going.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK I get the vibe that it's a pain in the butt to throw in a new clutch. Do you guys know of a place on the internet where I can see some pictures of the work? A service manual or something. If I buy the car I'm going to get a hard copy manual, but for now I'd like to see what I'm getting into.

I really wouldn't have the time to keep it on a lift for two days and I'm hoping that the project wouldn't last but maybe six hours at the most. I know you guys say that it's a pain in the butt, but I really only care to throw the clutch in and nothing else at this present time. At least while it's winter up here I don't care to be clowning around in the garage. The clutch kit has already been bought, and if I want to upgrade it later I will buy a better clutch.

Also, he said the car is drivable and the clutch works fine, but if you get on it the clutch starts to slip.

I've only replaced one clutch and that was on a Honda... I'm sure that an Audi is more involved.