S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Reprogramming Key Fob after Battery Replacement?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogramming Key Fob after Battery Replacement?

Hey guys,

I've done a bunch of searching through other threads and forums and am having issues finding something that works.

So, I've got ONE key fob and no others. I attempted to replace the battery just to be safe, and after taking the fob apart I found I had the wrong key. Both batteries fell out when taking it apart.

I've got it all back together, but the key fob will no longer unlock/lock my doors. Car starts & runs fine (no immobilizer in my B5 S4 apparently) but doors will not unlock.

I've tried holding lock/unlock while putting the key into the ignition, pressing all kinds of buttons before unlocking/locking via the keyhole, but nothing has been working.

I've heard so many different ways I can apparently do this with one key, but nothing has worked so far.

Anyone aware of anything I'm missing.. or anything that worked for them? Remember, I only have ONE key, so I can not program it with another in the ignition.

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For these cars you MUST have 2 keys. You put one in the ignition key on. Then you get out and put the other key in the drivers door and do a sequence. I cant remember if off hand, but its easily searched on google. B5 A4 program key fob.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pandemicandy
Hey guys,

I've done a bunch of searching through other threads and forums and am having issues finding something that works.

So, I've got ONE key fob and no others. I attempted to replace the battery just to be safe, and after taking the fob apart I found I had the wrong key. Both batteries fell out when taking it apart.

I've got it all back together, but the key fob will no longer unlock/lock my doors. Car starts & runs fine (no immobilizer in my B5 S4 apparently) but doors will not unlock.

I've tried holding lock/unlock while putting the key into the ignition, pressing all kinds of buttons before unlocking/locking via the keyhole, but nothing has been working.

I've heard so many different ways I can apparently do this with one key, but nothing has worked so far.

Anyone aware of anything I'm missing.. or anything that worked for them? Remember, I only have ONE key, so I can not program it with another in the ignition.

Thanks a lot guys!

Batteries went dead on my key fob yesterday. Replaced batteries and no lock response from buttons. Read section in manual...Push one of the buttons and within one minute insert key into door and turn key either way. Remote works fine now. You don't need two keys to program when all you are doing is replacing batteries in a previously working remote.