S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

RS4 Suspension on S4... impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright... my reason use is to make it more track worthy...

I go to performance driving school and track the car a few times a year (1.5hr on track each time) ... a good suspension is a must.

Want something with better turn in, less body roll, and less understeer. AT THE SAME TIME, GOOD RIDE QUALITY.

The challenge is to get the performance with decent ride for normal driving days. I track 5-6 times a year, and drive regularly the rest of the year, so good ride is essential.

That's why I thought RS4 suspension would be a good compromise (with the right price) as it's designed for daily driving and been tested to ride fine on streets. I just dont think any aftermarket company has the same resources to do as much testing and engineering into their products, as they usually have suspension for hundreds of cars and can NOT possibly test all of em to the same extent.

So, if my analogy is wrong, and RS4 suspension is crap... then pls tell me what suspension would fit the bill for me?

Thnx
Old 03-31-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "The cadillac ride qualities went away! I just want to slam it with no change in ride quality"

:-p
Old 03-31-2007, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eibach makes stock.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default RS4 on RS4 compared to KW V3 for RS4 on S4

The stock RS4 suspension is good but the KW V3 coilover for RS4 has better steering / turn in.

The KW V3 for RS4 has about 800 lb spring front and 500 lb rear. I don't know what RS4 stock spring rates are

KW V3 Advantages
- Sharper steering
- compression adjustable to suit tire profile and side wall stiffness. Ride in rear better than stock S4 !
-rebound adjustable to suit road surface
- Much better build quality
- Adjustable ride height

KW V3 Disadvantages
-Stock RS4 system has been tuned so that the suspension has no vibration resonance. KW suspension has some noticeable vibration modes, but nothing that effects handling
- Very hard over speed bumps

Stock RS4 disadvantages

- The quality of the OEM RS4 Sachs made shocks is VW standard !
- 2 years ago, the stock rear shocks were unobtainable from Audi dealers in Germany

Note 2 years ago I decided to go for an "economy" suspension with Eibach springs and RS4 OEM shocks which had good reviews on German Audi forums. I ordered the shocks but only received the front ones. The rear ones never came. I then scrapped the whole plan and went with the KW V3 for RS4. I have been very happy with it. Each time I mount different tires I adjust the compression to match the stiffnes of the new tire. I also have DIY in cabin remote control of the rebound
Old 04-01-2007, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default classy!!!

Thanks a bunch guys... just because I am relatively new to S4 doesn't mean I am a ricer or know nothing about cars.

We conducted spring and shock testing on vwvortex for more than a year, tested almost every shock and spring available for MK4 including rebound and compression graphs... so I DO KNOW A THING OR TWO about suspension.

Throughout that whole experience, we realized no other suspension could provide decent ride and handling at the same time, and the case was most problematic where the balance between front and rear came into question. Suspensions when properly designed, create the same oscillation front to rear, which even makes a stiff and very high spring rate suspension, relatively comfortable as it doesn't bounce unnecessarily, the whole suspension moves smoothly together.

That's why I started this whole thread. Just wanted to know if aftermarket guys on S4 got it right or not... The KW response on top, WAS GREAT... helped me understand... the vibration piece was interesting, exactly what I have noticed in the past.

Oh well, I guess can't expect any civilized feedback around here no more... just gotto try ride an RS4 car to see if it does what I intend for it. Although hard to find a car like that around...

Thnx
Old 04-01-2007, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks a lot man, it was GREATLY appreciated and very helpful... exactly what I thought...

one question, is KW externally adjustable? I got some Koni in the past and it was a bitch to adjust it as i had to pull the rear shocks out (mk4).
Old 04-01-2007, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Porsche like ride quality & handling. those do both very well. FIRM but no bouncing either
Old 04-01-2007, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default KW's are adjustable in place

On the front shocks, you have to drill a hole from the top of the shock tower through the cross bar. The hole just needs to be big enough for an allen wrench to pass through to adjust the rebound. Then you only need to open the hood to adjust the rebound. The front compression is easily reachable with the wheel off. In the rear both compression and rebound are easily accessible with the wheel off.

Note KW V3 for RS4 has springs about 8 % stiffer than the S4 kit
Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers
Old 04-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default There are plenty of good options. Take a look at Vogtland and eibach pro street s....

Those two won't break the bank.

Then there's the Stasis Motosrsport w/ Ohlins for ultimate, but bank breaking. :-p

Quick Reply: RS4 Suspension on S4... impressions?