S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 Contract available, #2 car in New Jersey...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-1999, 07:01 PM
Roveer

Default S4 Contract available, #2 car in New Jersey...

I'm not an expert on this stuff, as I'm posting for my brother. Early this year he put money down on a contract for a S4 to be delivered later this year. He's now decided to lease an A6. He's told that the S4 contract guarentees him the #2 S4 in New Jersey. Since he doesn't wan the S4, he's wondering if there is any value to this 'contract'. If there's any interest, please e-mail at address supplied.

Please advise. My thanks.

Roveer
Old 09-09-1999, 08:44 PM
Steve S.

Default Somehow I have a problem with this situation

I just don't like the idea of someone taking advantage in this way. I would just be a nice guy and let the car go to whomever wants that color/options/etc. Or am I the only one that feels this way?. Several people on the TT board are trying to sell their spots for TTQ and 225 TTQs....I just feel that something is not right. Its like buying up all the names on the net for $75 each and then selling them for $10K or more. It feels sleasy to me...of course this is just my humble opinion. :-)

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
00 S4 (when?)
Old 09-09-1999, 09:22 PM
del

Default The demand for the S4 isn't that high right now.

I don't think your friend could get a dime for it. From what I have seen the demand for the S4 isn't that high. Yeah, there are the people who are mad crazy for one, but I bet you go to most dealers and you could have one pretty quick.

I know Cutter still has 2 available in the first batch. #1 and #3, I am #2.
Old 09-09-1999, 09:32 PM
Adam T

Default Your contract holds no value, unless it includes a deposit.

If you do find a person that bites, consider yourself lucky to get your money back.

There is too many S4s out their/coming to be trying to do what you are doing.

Adam
Old 09-10-1999, 03:32 AM
Another Drew

Same here, many of the dealers around here have a few S4's unspoken for.
Old 09-10-1999, 03:56 AM
AvramD

Default Sounds to me like this guy was just asking a question (now if it was an RS4 slot...)

He wanted to know if it had value. We said "no." No problem.

Now if the car his friend ordered just *happened* to be Santorin Blue with *every* option other than the phone, I just might be willing to throw him fifty bucks to get out of waiting until Oct/Nov for mine.

But since the car is already built, and is most likely *not* equipped exactly the way any of us wants it, the "slot" has no value.

Now if it was an RS4, it would be a whole different game...
Old 09-10-1999, 05:32 AM
Scott D.

Default My humble opinions...

I think if the person's original <b> intent </b> was to speculate on the financial gain from such an action, then it's worse than "sleazy". It's taking advantage of the system. If everyone did this, we'd have market chaos.

I hate Internet domain name squatters, and hope they all have their names stripped away from them without compensation.

OTOH, if he really intended to buy the car and has now changed his mind, maybe it isn't all that bad that he sees a potential opportunity to benefit from his current situation.

My $0.02.

'00 S4 (whenever my dealer gets around to updating me on it's production status, etc. :-(
Old 09-10-1999, 06:27 AM
Roveer

Default Re: Somehow I have a problem with this situation

It's the difference in getting a car NOW, or waiting 7/8 months... That to me creates a free market in which 'some' people (obviously not yourself), would be willing to pay some amount of money to reduce the time in which they would have to wait to drive an automobile.

It appears that there is no real demand for the S4, so this 'free market', does not exist. I'm checking right now to see if this is an S4, or an SR4. If it is an SR4, I'll get additional details and post again.

Regards,

Roveer
Old 09-10-1999, 06:55 AM
Roveer

Default Re: My humble opinions...

Your line of thinking is similar to mine. I too hate domain name squatters, and laugh when they apear on eBay and people bid them up to 9 million dollers just to show what a joke the whole thing is.

I can assure you that it was my brothers intention to buy the S4 when he entered the contract, but with all the waiting, he's gone on to looking at the A6 and now has decided to lease. I think my BMW 528i made him think bigger, but he is steadfast that "all wheel drive" is a absolute requirement. I do have to admit, that my car will most likely stay in the garage while he is fully mobile on those snowy days.

Regards,

Roveer
Old 09-10-1999, 09:46 AM
johnj

Default Re: Somehow I have a problem with this situation

Steve: agree-there is no value-what a bunch of crap!

Quick Reply: S4 Contract available, #2 car in New Jersey...