S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

seized engine at 107k? need advice!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seized engine at 107k? need advice!! (long)

i've been the loving owner of an 01.5 nogaro blue 6spd for the past 5 years, and due to going back to school, had mostly sold my car. so, driving down vail pass yesterday to deliver my car to its new owner, 5 min from his house lost all power, but electronics were good. no CELs, no lights except those that come on when the engine turns off. I hadn't been driving hard, oil temp was normal, coolant temp normal, all things groovy. had been driving perfectly fine, and all fluid levels were fine (checked/replaced 24 hours previous with no leaks). finally coasted to a stop, for about 5 tries the engine turned over, then it wouldn't.

When it died, i was coasting at about 2500 rpm, no throttle. sort of clunked and when I pushed the pedal, nothing, and when i clutched the engine died. when i let the clutch out, the engine would spin at the appropriate rpm for coasting in whatever gear, but not stay running.

Got the car towed to a shop recommended by my insurance company as the nearest audi dealer was 50 miles away and my house was 20 miles away. the shop owner was getting into his b6 s4, so i felt pretty good about his knowledge. I thought it was the fuel pump and so left for the east coast b/c the buyer said he still wanted it once it was fixed.

Shop called today and said engine was seized, despite being full of oil. Said that climbing high altitude mountain passes is rough on the crankshaft bearings, and that one probably came out of place and blocked an oil line or something, causing starvation. claimed that he put a breaker bar on the crank with the serpentine belt off and still couldn't move it.

is this at all feasible or likely? As i am nowhere near the car, I have to trust these shops. It is going in for a second opinion at a different place in vail who claims to be certified to work on audis, but speaking to a nearby audi dealer, they said they've never seen a 2.7t engine seize like this one supposedly has.

For more information, oil is always changed every 5k with castrol syntec; I changed the timing belt and all related items at 65k, changed serpentine a week ago, and have done all regularly scheduled maintenance and then some (afterrun pump, valve cover gaskets, etc). does have apr 91 program and homemade piggies.

if anyone thinks this is possible that it seized at such relatively low mileage, is it worth rebuilding the engine? i have a low mileage s60r waiting for me, so i'm ready to be done with this car, but don't want to take a bath on it. should I sell as a parts car? i'm at a loss for what to do right now. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

brian
336-905-0436
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skibrian213
i've been the loving owner of an 01.5 nogaro blue 6spd for the past 5 years, and due to going back to school, had mostly sold my car. so, driving down vail pass yesterday to deliver my car to its new owner, 5 min from his house lost all power, but electronics were good. no CELs, no lights except those that come on when the engine turns off. I hadn't been driving hard, oil temp was normal, coolant temp normal, all things groovy. had been driving perfectly fine, and all fluid levels were fine (checked/replaced 24 hours previous with no leaks). finally coasted to a stop, for about 5 tries the engine turned over, then it wouldn't.

When it died, i was coasting at about 2500 rpm, no throttle. sort of clunked and when I pushed the pedal, nothing, and when i clutched the engine died. when i let the clutch out, the engine would spin at the appropriate rpm for coasting in whatever gear, but not stay running.

Got the car towed to a shop recommended by my insurance company as the nearest audi dealer was 50 miles away and my house was 20 miles away. the shop owner was getting into his b6 s4, so i felt pretty good about his knowledge. I thought it was the fuel pump and so left for the east coast b/c the buyer said he still wanted it once it was fixed.

Shop called today and said engine was seized, despite being full of oil. Said that climbing high altitude mountain passes is rough on the crankshaft bearings, and that one probably came out of place and blocked an oil line or something, causing starvation. claimed that he put a breaker bar on the crank with the serpentine belt off and still couldn't move it.

is this at all feasible or likely? As i am nowhere near the car, I have to trust these shops. It is going in for a second opinion at a different place in vail who claims to be certified to work on audis, but speaking to a nearby audi dealer, they said they've never seen a 2.7t engine seize like this one supposedly has.

For more information, oil is always changed every 5k with castrol syntec; I changed the timing belt and all related items at 65k, changed serpentine a week ago, and have done all regularly scheduled maintenance and then some (afterrun pump, valve cover gaskets, etc). does have apr 91 program and homemade piggies.

if anyone thinks this is possible that it seized at such relatively low mileage, is it worth rebuilding the engine? i have a low mileage s60r waiting for me, so i'm ready to be done with this car, but don't want to take a bath on it. should I sell as a parts car? i'm at a loss for what to do right now. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

brian
336-905-0436
Maybe the drive chain to the oil pump broke or jumped off? I would sell the car as a repair project to someone who can change the engine. Also are you sure the timing belt or one of the camshaft chains didn't break and bent a valve to lock up the engine?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Honestly, sounds more like a pinched ring. Rings can break at random, very rare but still possible. What's the mileage now?

The oil pump is a good possibility, though you would have an oil light kick on the moment you lost the oil pump due to lack of oil pressure.

A complete tear down is whats in order here... sadly. That or replace the motor with one from ebay for 1500 to 2000 bucks. Weight the options.

Sadly at this point the car worth almost nothing now.

Good luck, let us know if ya need anything...
Chris
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default after having a better shop look

at the car, it turns out the timing belt snapped with just 40k miles on it. thanks for the replies, i'm thinking of just doing a swap to try and recoup my losses.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at the car, it turns out the timing belt snapped with just 40k miles on it. thanks for the replies, i'm thinking of just doing a swap to try and recoup my losses.
Did a pulley, idler or water pump seize breaking the timing belt?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

oem belt or aftermarket??I only use oem parts when It comes to the valve train.
Originally Posted by Peter Badore
Did a pulley, idler or water pump seize breaking the timing belt?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by EuroXS4
oem belt or aftermarket??I only use oem parts when It comes to the valve train.
i replaced all the shenanigans at 65k with a kit from ecstuning believe. sent them an email, obviously a bit not happy, and never got a reply. good customer service lol. totally on your boat though, never will use non-OEM for serious bits in the future
Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i replaced all the shenanigans at 65k with a kit from ecstuning believe. sent them an email, obviously a bit not happy, and never got a reply. good customer service lol. totally on your boat though, never will use non-OEM for serious bits in the future

i bought a kit from ecstuning and did timing belt and now car is totaled.... I'll never buy from those suckers again!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Im not one to preach about using non oem parts.I mean sure just about everything for these cars is expensive so why not save some money I can understand that.Everyone wants to save a little money here and there.The one thing you dont want to do is install aftermarket parts when It comes to timing belt and serp belt and so on on these cars.Something as simple as that could grenade your engine.

Sorry to hear about your experiences.I hope it works out for the better.

Dont get me wrong ecs does carry some good parts.I just will never use non oem parts when it comes to timing on any motor.OEM is the way to go.

Originally Posted by jondin2000
i bought a kit from ecstuning and did timing belt and now car is totaled.... I'll never buy from those suckers again!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be more than happy to build anyone a timing belt kit that includes all OEM genuine Audi parts.

A timing belt job should never be attempted by just anyone. All it takes is the timing to be off just 3 degrees and you can destroy an engine.

Jason

Quick Reply: seized engine at 107k? need advice!! (long)