S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Stoptech compared to STaSIS: Truths and Facts

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech compared to STaSIS: Truths and Facts

Matrix Engineering 2nd time(M2): First off, I would like to say that we have great respect for Stoptech's product and its value to their targeted market space. While we do not want to get in a nit-picking mess with Stoptech, we have an obligation to respond to their post on behalf of our suppliers.

Stoptech 1st time(S1): I'll address his points one by one:

Matrix Engineering 1st time(M1): 1. "Stasis S8 calipers (same as on Ferrari 355) are made by Brembo. Stoptech calipers are a cheap copy of the Brembo caliper and are made overseas in Taiwan."

(S1): Brembo does make the S8 calipers, though it is not the same as the 355 Ferrari. StopTech buys castings made to our specification from a QS-9000 registered supplier in Taiwan. We do all critical finish machining, assembly and testing at our facility in Torrance, CA. Our calipers share common piston sizes and seals with Brembo calipers, including Porsche and Ferrari units. All similarities end there, as we use a different pad shape and different pad retaining abutment plates as well as our patented bridge. You cannot bolt a Brembo caliper half to our caliper half.

(M2): I apologize for the "cheap copy" statement. I think the wrong connotation was taken. By "cheap copy" I meant to refer to it as an "inexpensive" version, allowing Stoptech to bring an affordable entry-level brake kit to market.

The STaSIS Street Sport kits, using Brembo components, are designed to compete with Stoptech's kits. The STaSIS Track Sport kits, which use Alcon components, are a definite step above. For those who are unaware, here's some background on Alcon:

Alcon is currently First, Second and Third in Trans Am
Alcon is currently First and Second in IRL (Team Penske)
Alcon is currently First, Second and Third in Busch Grand National
Alcon is currently Third in CART (Team Kool Green)
Alcon is currently First and Second in VA Touring Cars (Asia)
Alcon is currently First and Second in WRC (Subaru, Peugeot, Hyundai)
Alcon is currently run on the Toyota Formula 1 cars

Out of curiosity, what teams are running Stoptech components?

(M1): 2. "The Stasis calipers flex less than Stoptech's since they're better quality, resulting in a better pedal feel."

(S1): Stasis supplies a caliper made by Brembo, call it a Brembo or S8 caliper; Stasis sells it, they don't make it. We have been awarded a patent on our bolt-in bridge, the main function being to stiffen the caliper. What test did you run to get your numbers? Did you actually run a test yourself? If you did it on a car did you have a pressure gauge in the line? We have not tested an S8 caliper, but have tested several competing calipers including a Brembo F50. We put calipers on a pressure test bench using a digital pressure gage and our calipers have shown to have 1/2 the flex of any similar units. There is also a caliper distortion that can only be calculated using an FEA computer model to simulate the effect the rotor has twisting the caliper. Again, our bridge dramatically reduces this. As for better pedal feel, not only is caliper stiffness an issue, piston sizing is critical to pedal travel, stiffness and pedal modulation as well. We test with several different piston size combinations to fine tune not only pure straight line stopping, but other variables such as pedal stroke and firmness. Have you ever tried a Brembo kit with different piston sizes just to see if it might be better? We have. On nice hot days on an asphalt airstrip changing hot brakes time and again, taking data, analyzing and seeing if we could make improvements. Believe me, it's not as glamorous as
it sounds...

(M2): STaSIS does not "make" brake components because they would much rather use products from a company who dedicates their entire existence on engineering and manufacturing brakes for such motorsport levels as Formula 1; Alcon. STaSIS would rather spend their time taking the best brake technology from Alcon, and integrate that knowledge into working on numerous Audi's while
retaining OEM brake bias.

BTW---could you explain how the caliper bridge works? By the looks of the bridge, it's strength is in compression. I would also suspect the bridge would increase torsional rigidity of the caliper but the forces of braking would put the bridge in tension..??

And while we find it exciting that you were awarded a patent for your unique bridge, does a patent insure a quality component or one that functions correctly?

If I'm not mistaken, when you test your calipers, the force is applied from within the caliper (the space the rotor and pads occupy) and then deflection is measured? As an example, Alcon tests calipers at their 400 deg F operating temperature by measuring the volume of fluid displaced with braking pressure. Loan me your best ST-40 and we'll get it bench tested by Alcon in England in their F1 facility. We'll see how it compares to a Brembo F-50, Brembo S8, Alcon Type B, Alcon 6 Piston, Alcon MMC F1 Caliper, etc....

If Audi customers are interested in the latest and greatest and highest technical brake offerings, STaSIS is worth a close look. With 4 and 6 piston brake kits in 13" and 14" sizes, there are many options such as an Alcon Type B WRC caliper with external temperature gauges, Winston Cup rotors, mono-block calipers...the list goes on. In basic terms, STaSIS kits start where Stoptech kits end.

(M1): 3. "Stasis Winston Cup rotors ($200.00 option) are the real-deal Brembo units that are used by top Winston Cup teams, made in Italy."

(S1): What is the base price on a rotor before the $200.00 price increase? Our rotors are the real-deal units, Made in the USA that have won in World Challenge, Grand-Am, GS Grand AM Cup (Don Istook's winning S4),US Touring Car as well as having run the entire 24 hours of Daytona, plus 2 1/2 hours of practice and qualifying. Sorry, we don't have a $200.00 upgrade. Winston Cup is brutal on brakes, but do you really need that level of heavy-duty component for your weekend track day? What is the weight of the Cup rotor?
They are typically heavier than a road racing part. Oh, by the way, the Winston Cup Rule Book specifically prohibits the use of floating rotors; so how does that work?

(M2): We are talking about entry-level brake kits that start at $2000 here. For those who want to get more serious about their brakes, what is a $200 upgrade for Winston Cup rotors that are used by the top race teams?

Enthusiasts who are truly serious about brakes are spending a lot more than $1995.

FYI, the Winston Cup rotors weigh 16lbs--the same as the Stoptech rotors.

TRW (Stoptech) does make good rotors, but in our opinion, they are not the quality of Brembo Winston Cup rotors. Look at any price-is-no-object Winston Cup race team---are they running TRW rotors? No. They are running the Brembo WC rotors and they must be doing so for a reason. And FWIW, we were just informed by a Winston Cup team in North Carolina that floating rotors are indeed legal.

(M1): 4. "The S4 calipers are nice since they're factory units and can be serviced by an Audi dealer if necessary."

(S1): Under any type of warranty? Doubtful, but you can always pay Audi dealer shop rates and Audi OE replacement part prices.

(M2): I think you meant S8 there....

But no, they are not under warranty. However, any Audi dealer can service the calipers and provide pads if the need arises. I really can't see them having Stoptech calipers or pads available.

(M1): 5. "Moreover, the S8 caliper can use the factory pads and wear sensors. No other brake kits that I'm aware of allow you to do this."

(S1): Consider yourself now informed and aware that the pad StopTech uses in our calipers can be adapted to use a pad wear sensor.

(M2): That is great news! How is this the case?

(M1): 7. "Stoptech might tell you that their rotors are floating rotors, but they are not---they are fixed in place. This doesn't allow the rotor to self center or change with thermal expansion"

(S1): You need to take a moment to educate yourself on exactly what is a "floating rotor". You can take a detailed look at our floating system on the FAQ section of our website. Here's the link:
http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq18.html

(M2): That's an interesting FAQ. The single Bellville washer you spec in your rotors allows for as much as .012" of growth if I'm not mistaken. The washer and fastener have .002" of tolerance each. Depending on which batch of washers and fasteners you order, you may lose up to a 1/3 of your thermal growth ability in tolerance alone. In addition, the single Bellville has to accommodate the growth of the rotor AND hat. From our experience with Stoptech, Brembo and STaSIS brake kits, Stoptech's allow the least amount of float while STaSIS kits offer the greatest amount of float. With ~216 lb of force on the washer at .0115" of deflection, the Stoptech assembly is not very willing to float. Brembo, on the other hand, has about ~15 lb of force at .010" of deflection with their "leaf" spring. STaSIS is in between with 30 lb of force at up to .030" of deflection with a triple Bellville arrangement. Stoptech also takes a different approach from Brembo and STaSIS with Bellville's on every fastener; Brembo and STaSIS use them on every other fastener. Brembo runs their motorsport rotors full-floating as noise is not a concern; with about .010" of growth ability in Brembo or Stoptech semi-floating (sprung) street setups, the rotor seizing from thermal growth is a concern hence the choice of full-floating for Brembo racing applications. So in the Stoptech vs. STaSIS debate, not only does Stoptech have almost 8 times the force on the Bellville's, but the fact that they also have double the number of Bellville's which insures that the rotor is MUCH less likely to float in real-world situations. Furthermore, if the Stoptech rotor does float, it will likely seize due to the lack of deflection in the single Bellville. FWIW, the same triple Bellville setup that we ship with Street Sport/Track Sport brake kits is currently used on the STaSIS World Challenge Touring Audi A4.

(M1): 8. "It is much easier to change pads on the Stasis kit vs. the Stoptech. Why? Because the Stoptech kit has hex screws/bolts that tend to get seized up when the brakes get hot. You have to reach around the back of the wheel, loosen the hex bolts, then remove the bridge(this can be tough sometimes too b/c it's such a tight fit). With the Stasis calipers, all you have to do is pull two clips, then pull the pin, and the pads drop out. Ryan at Stasis estimates that it takes longer to take off the wheel than change the pads on the Stasis kit."

(S1): A StopTech pad swap will take less than 5 minutes per side even if you take your time, after which the driver gets the benefit from having the stiffest 4-piston caliper made.

(M2): In the top tier world of metal-matrix castings, borite aluminum alloys, and honeycomb stiffening plates, I can't tell you who is winning the battle between Alcon and Brembo Racing, but I can factually tell you that the stiffest 4 piston caliper is not made by Stoptech.

(M1): 10. "Stasis Winston Cup rotors are drop dead SEXY!!!!!!!!"

(S1): For that price, they better be.

(M2): That they are. Functional too. We feel it's nice to offer our customers options. Winston Cup teams run them for a reason you know.... ;-)

(S1): StopTech has proven to be a high quality, competitively priced brake system capable of competing with the best the world has to offer. Take a look at the current Car & Driver article testing 15 of the hottest super cars in the country. A StopTech equipped Dodge Viper had the 3rd shortest stopping distance from 150-0. Only a Porsche 996 Twin Turbo prepped by Autothority and riding on shaved Michelin Sport tires and a 2200# mid-engine Mosler sports car had better stopping performance. We out performed cars equipped
with the best systems companies such as Brembo, AP, Wilwood had to offer.

(M2): No doubt Stoptech makes a competitively priced brake kit. But as far as competing with the best, that doesn't mean Stoptech's will win. ;-)

And we've seen the C&D results:

C&D test results from 150-0 MPH:

#1 Porsche 996 TT; 3492 lbs.; with STOCK Brembo 4 piston 13" brakes 640Ft.
#2 Mosler; 2189 lbs.; with Wilwood 6 piston 13.5" brakes 656Ft.
#3 Dodge Viper; 3600 lbs.; with Stoptech 4 piston 14" brakes 670Ft.
#4 Chevy Corvette; 3484 lbs.; with Brembo 4 piston 14" brakes 688Ft.

(S1): I don't typically take such a personal tone in a public forum, but your post is so full of falsehoods and innuendo meant to demean something myself and others have spent the last 3 ½ years working our asses off on, I have to put it out there. I make all the above statements with no hesitation and a willingness to back each and every word anytime, anyplace.

(M2): As I stated above, loan us your best ST-40 and we'll get it bench tested by Alcon in England in their F1 facility.

(S1): Let me close by saying Stasis does a fine job of specifying, manufacturing and packaging components and delivering them to the marketplace to fill in what customer's are looking for. They have a great, well earned reputation and we have conferred with them many times. I also understand Matrix has experience in racing and developing products for the street and track and has a loyal following in some performance enthusiast circles; but as far as knowledge of StopTech is concerned, you couldn't be further off base. I don't quite understand where you're coming from in your post, I'd be happy to discuss any issue with you to further clarify any confusion.

(M2): We appreciate the kind words. I'm certain STaSIS does too.

And let me say that in closing, we are in no way saying that Stoptech makes an substandard product. While not being the ultimate brake solution, they do provide a well thought-out, entry-level product---a big step up from the previously used Porsche mismatched bias setups.

However, the question I meant to first pose is, IS THERE SOMETHING BETTER FOR SIMILAR MONEY? It is our opinion (and we have the facts to back that opinion), that for the street enthusiast or weekend racer, STaSIS' Street Sport kit is a better option for those who are looking for higher quality componentry and factory parts at a similar cost. Now, for those who are more serious about the latest innovations in motorsport brake technology, STaSIS also offers their Track Sport and Motorsport kits which contain components produced by Alcon, the leading innovator and manufacturer of the most technologically advanced braking components in the world.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Williams
Co-Owner & General Manager
Old 09-06-2002, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default duck it's a pissing contest, Gesch that's a LOT of information...

interesting to see both sides of the coin..
Old 09-06-2002, 09:43 AM

Thanks, I am getting killed on this Forum for even mentioning the "B" word.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:44 AM

Consider yourself fortunate to not be myopic on this issue.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:45 AM

Yeah, this is starting to go full circle...doubt there will be a clear end.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I hear ya LOL!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here are the previous message threads....

...for those that would like to follow this thread, here's how it all started:
<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/946290.phtml" target="_Blank">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/946290.phtml</a>

And here's StopTech's response:
<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/947624.phtml" target="_Blank">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/947624.phtml</a>
Old 09-06-2002, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

good lord that's a lot to absorb
Old 09-06-2002, 09:48 AM
Elder Member

Wow. I just learned so much about brakes..more then I think I will ever need. 8-O
Old 09-06-2002, 09:51 AM

*gets popcorn* .... who has the drinks?

Quick Reply: Stoptech compared to STaSIS: Truths and Facts