S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Strange Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Electrical Issue

When I turn the ignition to the ready position the EPC and Check-Engine light start flashing on and off rapidly, not like a real warning signal, but like the readiness check gets interrupted, starts again, and so on. The car turns over but will not start.

This happened a few days ago for the first time after the car simply cut off while driving. I called a tow and while waiting I tinkered around a bit and thought I found a loose wire from the zeitronix install I just performed. I disconnected the zeitronix from power and the car started up again.

Drive it around for a few days with no issues. So today I decide to figure out the problem - I put it the garage, look at all the electronic connections - everything seems to be in order. I try to start the car: flashing EPC and check-engine light. So I do what I did last time and disconnect the zeitronix again. No difference.

I have uninstalled everything related to the zeitronix completely and still the same problem. Clearly the zeitronix stuff was not the issue the first time but why would disconnecting it from power temporarily solve the issue?

Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by donromani
When I turn the ignition to the ready position the EPC and Check-Engine light start flashing on and off rapidly, not like a real warning signal, but like the readiness check gets interrupted, starts again, and so on. The car turns over but will not start.

This happened a few days ago for the first time after the car simply cut off while driving. I called a tow and while waiting I tinkered around a bit and thought I found a loose wire from the zeitronix install I just performed. I disconnected the zeitronix from power and the car started up again.

Drive it around for a few days with no issues. So today I decide to figure out the problem - I put it the garage, look at all the electronic connections - everything seems to be in order. I try to start the car: flashing EPC and check-engine light. So I do what I did last time and disconnect the zeitronix again. No difference.

I have uninstalled everything related to the zeitronix completely and still the same problem. Clearly the zeitronix stuff was not the issue the first time but why would disconnecting it from power temporarily solve the issue?

Any ideas?
Do you have a chip? Its connections may be going bad: this has happened to me and can cause intermittent problems of the sort you describe.

Rory
Old 02-08-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good call. I think Don is running a flashed tune. But he may have sprung for the APR licensed tech. Vast tune?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had to have it towed to the shop in the meantime. The AAA guy managed to tear a hole in the oilpan, so now that has to be done before the diagnosis can start. The shop owner mentioned that the ECU could be the issue as well.

I do have a VAST RS6 tune about 4 months old at this point. Reflashed as far as I know. All the shipping to and fro could have cause the chip to wiggle loose maybe?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You have to open it up. But every stage 3 tune I've seen. (recent anyway, and not APR or APR licesned tech.) they don't do any work to the ecu. Just bench flash.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, no way to tell without opening the box then. After 2 days looking at every visible sensor, fuse and electrical connection my money is on the ECU, but before I send it to VAST I would like to be sure.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Follow-up

So, it was just a loose main ground wire....must have been loose for a while, maybe since the turbo swap, and the last few bumps in the road were enough to wiggle it free. Good news, but I still feel stupid for missing it.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A shop missed it too. Which one? The ground on the head?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I didn't get to talk to the mechanic and the guy behind the counter could only say it was under the hood and off of the main wiring harness, which doesn't help much because everything is off of the main harness.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donromani
So, it was just a loose main ground wire....must have been loose for a while, maybe since the turbo swap, and the last few bumps in the road were enough to wiggle it free. Good news, but I still feel stupid for missing it.
just curious, did you have any trouble with starting the motor? ive had grounding trouble before on another car

Quick Reply: Strange Electrical Issue