S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

STUCK!!....Engine almost out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STUCK!!....Engine almost out!

hey guys i need some pointers on what to do now everything is off and ready to be taken out but i cant see the bellhousing bolts under the car (already removed the top bolts from the top) that need to be removed in order for the engine to be taken off the tranny so i proceeded to try and take the tranny out with the engine but the driveshaft 6mm allen bolts are stuck on and now im frustrated any advice u guys have so i can get this thing out ive been working on it for 2 days now and im too the point where my 20oz sledge will do more work to the car then me getting this engine out
Old 09-06-2011, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got a Bently?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What do you mean by the driveshaft bolts are stuck on? They get torqued pretty good, and if I recall correctly they initially have the red loctite on them, but they obviously should come out. Is it that you can't get enough leverage to break them free?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had the exact same issue with couple of bolts. You have to either weld a nut on top of the bolt and undo it that way or (easier) go to autozone/whatever and buy their "bolt out" kit which consists of several sockets for taking stripped bolts out. They are designed with tapering counter clockwise helical "thread" inside the socket to cut into bolts asyou unscrew them.

One of the sockets fits perfectly over the allen bolt and you can undo it that way. Saved my *** few times to date as I tend to strip these as well.

As to replacement bolts, I found exact size/material grade in pepboy's hardware drawer.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I guess I don't have enough leverage to break them loose cuz no matter how hard I go they don't break loose then I give up cuz my hand has the outline of a wrench lool
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, don't tell me you're using little L shaped allen wrenches to undo these bolts... You need to get 3/8 ratchet and proper hex bit to easily undo these bolts.

If you're using little allen keys, at least use extension pipe (slip it over the wrench) to amplify your torque!

When you get around to front CV shafts, you needs a proper 12 point bit as well, these are not allen bolts.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nope I'm using a wrench and they still won't come loose and yeah I know about the cv I bought a set of 12 points for that
Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I first break those lose I use an impact gun, 3/8 6mm allen socket and an extension. You could even use an impact swivel to get more clearance from the exhaust. Probably have to rotate the axle so each bolt is at the bottom. If the E brake wont hold the axle in place because the torque remove a rear wheel and have a friend hold a prybar between two of the wheel bolts. Oh and you would need to take the cover off the transmission there. It's just the two bolts and they can be a huge pain. My driver side bolt was on so tight that the whole mount broke off when I removed it.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you can get the hex socket onto a breaker bar you may be able to apply torque to the bolt and then tap the head of the breaker bar with a metal hammer. Doing that has helped me to break loose bolts that were 'frozen' solid.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

use an extension like PVC or iron pipe over the wrench... if you happen to strip a bolt, then use bolt out set or weld a nut on top.

You can also just grind down the bolts and deal with the remains once the tranny is out. These bolts are one use so it would make sense to replace them anyway. Remember that you will have a sizable amount of each threaded section sticking out of housing once the prop shaft is not on it so removal of what effectively will be studs then should be fairly uncomplicated.

Quick Reply: STUCK!!....Engine almost out!