S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Survey: preferences on Sport vs. Stealth, out of 100

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-1999, 06:30 AM
mpm

Default If memory serves me, you're getting silver also, why not swap the front end? Then...

with a 99.5 A4 front end, and halogen bulbs, you'll have the ultimate S4 stealthmobile!
Old 09-12-1999, 08:01 AM
AvramD

Default Rumor is that S4 has bigger radiator & won't fit under A4 front end...

Either a bigger radiator, or more radiators, not sure which. Anyone know for sure?

You all probably heard the earlier rumors that S4s were having overheating problems, so the suggestion that the extra air intake is realy function and not form seems quite plausible!

Maybe it's just that the S4 needs more air going into the radiator it has. So, I guess you could put an A4 front end on, and then not drive it very hard!

I guess that's like the Air Force's new ultimate stealth fighter - completely undetectable to *any* current or future enemy radar! The way it works is it never leaves the airbase! The only drawback is that it can't deliver any payload either...
Old 09-12-1999, 09:24 AM
Scott D.

Default 33/67 -- Unmodified Nogaro Blue S4...

The whole point of getting a sport sedan (rather than a sports car) is practicality and sheer CLASS. The S4 does this perfectly.

When I'm making 5 times the salary, maybe I'll think about a Porsche 911 Turbo... ;-)
Old 09-12-1999, 01:37 PM
AvramD

Default If I had money to burn, my sunday driver would be an ///M Roadster

I honestly think it's the best looking car that's ever been made. It's the Jag XK120 of the '90s.

It will beat *any* Porche b/c the Porche will spin out in the puddles of drool from bystanders 8-)

Alas for now, I'll hold on to my del sol VTEC as my sunday driver. Trouble is, the S4 will be so much faster, that I may never want to drive the Honda again!

On the other hand, I'll need the del sol to satisfy my need for high RPM performance - 8250 rpm redline, peak torque at 7500! Winding it up to 90 mph in 3rd gear is such a hoot 8-)
Old 09-12-1999, 01:49 PM
Scott D.

Default If high revs are what you want...

then why not get Honda's new S2000, with a redline around 1500 higher than your del sol???
Old 09-12-1999, 02:18 PM
Vijay

Default Re:60/40...more...

Great topic for discussion. I want a car that conveys a sense of awesome performance, yet sophistication. I need the practicality of a sedan and AWD. I couldn't afford two cars of this caliber, hence the S4. Ideally, I would buy an M roadster and a Subaru Outback, but I don't have $70,000 to spend on two more cars (my wife already drives an A6 Avant), or a three car garage. I love red, but since I tend to drive somewhat on the faster side, I didn't want a car that the police could spot a mile away. I did wan't a car that would turn a few heads as it went by, or when parked, however. I'm too old for the slammed, body kitted Honda with 20" wheels boy racer look. Black is awesome...the few minutes it manages to stay clean. I settled, then, on a Nogaro Blue S4. I'll get a subtle rear wing and nicer 17 or 18" wheels. That's all for the exterior mods.
Old 09-12-1999, 03:45 PM
AvramD

Default b/c the S2000 would price me out of the S4 market! (more)

Don't think I didn't consider trading my del sol for an S2000, and keeping my 4kq! But it came down to this: I can own two cars, I want to maximize performance (foul weather included), utility and stealth. Oh, and I want a convertible in there too.

So regardless of how you weight my critera, S4 + del sol beats S2000 + 4kq!

1) S4 blows all other entries away wet & dry
2) del sol trunk is 2x size of S2000 trunk
3) del sol VTEC is way stealth vs. S2000
* 90% of del sols are *not* VTEC,
* 75% are owned by women.
* base del sol cost $14k, so there will always
be way more of them than the $30+k S2000
It's wierd - I thought the sporty little del sol would attract a lot of attention. It turns out that non-VTEC ones don't have interesting performance, and Honda primarily marketed del sols towards women. As a result, cops don't give them a second thought.

Also, completely subjectively, I've driven a 2-seater as my primary car for 5 years now. In fact, I just made the final payment on the del sol *yesterday*! So, I am way ready for 2-fan sedan land!
Old 09-12-1999, 04:43 PM
mpm

Yeah, but I think our northern neighbors are being told no zenons,and the 99.5 front end
Old 09-12-1999, 04:56 PM
Scott D.

Default I guess I assumed you were one of those who made a high 6 figure salary...

So I can understand why you'd stick with the del sol and add the S4.

I'm curious, though, about your VERY strong need for "stealth" in the cars you drive. Have you been nailed by cops a lot? Or do you drive in a fashion which attracts their attention?
Old 09-12-1999, 06:29 PM
Sandy

Absolutely correct: 33/67 Thanks

Quick Reply: Survey: preferences on Sport vs. Stealth, out of 100