S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Thanksgiving morning and my car wont start! YAY

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanksgiving morning and my car wont start! YAY

Can anyone help me?
I went to start my car today and It went into limp mode. For whatever reason it keeps occasionally blowing fuse # 34 (the ecu fuse) Im perplexed. Thought I had this fixed, but...obviously not.

I cant pull up any codes, im currently without my scanner, however, any suggestions on what would relate to this would be a big help if I can get on the right track.

I think it may be related to the security system or perhaps a security wire on the radio thats touching metal? I think the previous owner was messing with the radio. Just a guess however.

Sorry to make this jumpy and short, but the turkeys almost done!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and have a Great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

have you checked your grounds?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yup
Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

start unplugging electronics under the hood until the fuse stops popping,

maf - n75 - if its a tip also the air pumps,
also the rear o2 sensors

if you search on here theres a list of stuff to unplug,

i feel you, we went through this with my friends tip wagon, he eventually traded it in ftl
Old 11-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys!

Today I was all over the car trying to locate the problem. There is a ****load of obd codes, so this can be anything. I checked out all the engine bay wires for rubbing and damage. Nothing. Pulled out the ecu, checked the plugs, all the wires in there. Nothing. Checked the fuel pump plug. (I recently had this problem and a local shop I took the car to claimed it was a bad pump) $700 later...obviously it wasnt. Anways, I checked the plug, it seemed loose, put it back on. Nothing. I was getting frustrated by this time, i figured screw it, Ill have to tow it to the stealership, sigh... I put the ecu cover partially on, slightly screwed the coolant reservoir, closed the hood. I went into the back and put the lower back seat in, (popped it out to check the wires) I was about to close the door when I hear the key chime start going off...this hadnt been going off before...I went to start the car, turned the key..fired right up! I just sat there shaking my head. I have no idea what is going on here....

So I guess next week Im off to the stealership to have this fixed right. Im considering selling the car, but I love it and Im not ready to quit just yet. I hope its something simple and CHEAP!