S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tips or Advice on running '00s4 that hasn't been started since november?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips or Advice on running '00s4 that hasn't been started since november?

Moved from Ohio to Colorado this fall but left the dream machine home until I understood the area better with my brother's car. Left s4 sitting next to my mom's house this whole time.

I was home for Thanksgiving and ran it for about two days and I may have refilled the tank, besides that I didnt do a thing to it. Since then its just been sitting there collecting snow.

Im going home this saturday and want to drive it back out here when I come back and was wondering what things I should do to get her ready to roll.

Im already plan on going to this local denver shop that does the altitude tuning and seeing whats up with that, but gotta get her here first.

I remember last summer one or two of the wheels or brakes had that squeaky dust thing going on, where it would squeak at low speeds, wheel bearings?
And the brakes were pretty crunchy, but I've been to the dealer before about that and they always tell me its just rust or whatever and after a few hard brakes or some constant driving it should go away- always thought that was BS but never been worried that brakes have always been solid.
The turbos/chipping though I've always been worried about. Its a used car and Ive always thought its been chipped but never looked into it, just did standard audi maintenance. I think it would benefit with a better exhaust and intake and everything, like maybe the dude cheaped out and sold all the parts seperately and then tried to make it seem stock, but def need to look into that.
Also the first gear seems to rev super fast get me no where, and sometimes there a sound almost like a leak or tear somewhere in the pipes when Im trying to boost like at 2800-3500 or so and feels like it should be boosting more but its losing the charge somewhere.

Anyways besides that any other things I should look into when I get back?

Im gonna order a new air filter I think cause the new ones ancient. I did an oil change and stuff but no new tires in a year or three. Anything else I should get now and get someone to put in if I get a chance to take it to a shop while in town? Spark plugs or anything like that? I had to get a new battery recently and that felt like it gave the car a lil pep? Any of those fuel additives that are supposed to clean the engine work?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so far 78 views no replies.....
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do an oil change before you start the car. Make sure you don't start just yet. Disconnect the ignitors on top of your airbox (four connectors). Turn the ignition on but do not start, this should prime the fuel system bringing everything back up to pressue. Now crank the engine. This should allow the engine to crank but not start as the ignition is unplugged. The purpose of this is to allow the oil to flow without a complete start as the engine may be "dry". Then re-connect the ignitors and start the car up. This is what I have done after my car sat for months on end. I hope I help, and maybe someone else could offer their input as well.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Get in, turn key, let idle 2 minutes, drive easy until it warms up. The rotors will be rusty so do some brake dragging for a few hundred feet to clear it off. Be easy on the next couple stops they may be a little long. Then go top off the tank and bring it home. This is a well built car, why would anyone think sitting for a few months hurts it? I don't even use stabilizer in my two classics and they sit from Nov to April every year. Never had a problem even in NY. Have a safe trip.

Last edited by MonroeS4; 03-26-2011 at 12:45 PM.