S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tips at what to look for when buying an s4

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honestly...

Originally Posted by FireOnIce
You think $7700 is too much?

I bought mine stock for $8k in December w/ 160k mi., but looks like its in great condition and very well maintained with a recent tranny job.

I had to replace a gasket and valve to stop an oil leak, but seems to run great now.
Yes I do. being that high of mileage and a ten year old car...

A lot of ppl mis-interpret what "good condition" really means... No offense... I'm only saying. So they say it looks better than it really does. My car said it was in excellent condition... blah blah blah... fine bought the car.. never having looked at it, being 3300 miles away. and turns out its dinged, pitted and scratched.. with none working mirror dimmer, driver seat heater, abs/esp issues (which I already knew about)... "No leaks"... My ***!!!!... First start up right off the carrier truck, I let it warm up a bit, wanted to hear for any noises while I inspected the rest of the car... come back to the front... no joke.. literally plumes and plumes of plastic type smoke and oil smoke... I'm thinking oh ****... wth...

Turned out, it does leak oil.. a good amount too... also who ever changed the booster 90 degree hose, left the old one in there and it landed on the right hand turbo.. thus smoking.
The stupid **** ppl do, I dont understand why it's so difficult to use common sense.

Anyways that's my .02 cents... Understand why now?
Chris
Old 07-26-2011, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought mine from a friend and I was in a pinch. Moved back to the US and needed a car.

I took it to a mechanic for inspection and he confirmed that it was in great condition, even though I'm now having radio issues.

If I can get 50k miles out of it, I'd consider it a pretty good deal.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Man you can get a whole lotta miles out of this car if it's taken care of.

Some guys here have over 300k on their S4's... That's mighty impressive for a turbo car. My old 92 honda accord, has over 500k before showing any signs of wear.

Anyways I'm having radio issues also... mine is cutting out for about 3 seconds then sound comes back. I haven't looked at it while it does this (cuz I'm driving) so I don't know if the radio is actually shutting off... or if some where there's a connection that's cutting off sound. I had something similar before when I installed my USA SPEC Ipod adapter, turned out it was a plug that was pissed off. So I get to bust out the radio tools and pull the radio out and see what's going on inside there...

Lovely... it's almost never ending. lol But I still love my car.

The other night I took a buddy of mine out for a lil fun. He's riden in it and driven it before, he had fun. By the time we were into our second leg. He was saying "I'm buying one... I'm getting this car. I don't like small cars, I'm a truck guy". I told him the same thing.. I like trucks also, but this car ya just can't say no to. He finally stopped fighting me, and the S4... and gave in... "I want one" he said. LMAO!!! Coming around a loop off the fwy, he couldn't contain himself. It was very comical. "I want ONE!!" lol Then we shot through a few nice right hand turns, "I love how it hooks around any turn you throw at it". I kept laughing, and grinning.

Anyways good luck with the radio issue.. hopefully it's something totally stupid and mundane but simple to fix.

Chris
Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your hope helped. Turns out it was minor.

The wires from the XM radio were causing interference. Easy fix.

Next dilemma... to chip or not to chip. I don't have a lot of spare cash to pay for expensive repairs, so longevity is my main goal. I'm already at 170k on original turbos. I have all the maintenance records and the car doesn't seem to have any issues at the moment. Previous owners were both responsible adults.

To what degree of additional stress would chipping the car at 170k mi. cause? Last thing I want is to chip it and have parts start breaking down.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got my S4 2 years ago for $7.8k.
It had an MTM chip already, but needed some front suspension work. Other than that it has been fine.

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
The other night I took a buddy of mine out for a lil fun. He's riden in it and driven it before, he had fun. By the time we were into our second leg. He was saying "I'm buying one... I'm getting this car. I don't like small cars, I'm a truck guy". Chris
One of my acquaintances is also a "truck guy".
But after driving the S4, he said if he had to get a car it would be an Audi.
This, coming from someone who has previously owned a tuned-up '67 Mustang, as well.

Last edited by conall; 07-26-2011 at 01:55 PM.