S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tune options for B5 S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune options for B5 S4

Hi everyone, happy new year!

I have a 2002 S4 B5 that I picked up, and I'm trying to figure out what to get for a tune. What are my options? The car came with upgraded DVs and cat back Miltek exhaust. I have a Tiptronic as well.

I was looking into getting a Tip Chip, and saw someone selling GIAC Tip Chips on Ebay for $500. Are there any cautions against getting one on Ebay? The person said they needed the part number from my TCU and transmission code found on a green label?

Also, I want to get a performance ECU tune. What are your recommendations for my setup (basically stock, with cat back exhaust and DVs)?

So far I've come across APR and GIAC. APR from my understanding I have to take my car to an authorized dealer...which I was surprised I can get done at a local VW car dealer. I'm thinking I would want something like stock tune and a 93 octane tune. Is a race gas tune even worth it with pretty much no mods done to my car?

I think GIAC offers a handheld flasher unit? Is this route more cost effective if I plan on wanting to flash my car more times in the future?

I have also come across terms like A-Box and M-box. What do these mean? Does that mean for an automatic car or manual car?

I would like someone to break it down for me. I appreciate any help.

Thank you
Old 01-24-2015, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

You could get those off ebay, but for $500, you should double check wiht APR or GIAC to see what they cost direclty. I think APR was about that cost when i checked about 10 or so years ago.

The other thing about getting direct from APR, as an example, is if anything goes wrong with the ECU, they warranty it.

So far as I understand it, most of these ECU tunes for cars without turbo swaps simply raise boost levels and use the existing ECU fuel maps. That may have changed in the past decade.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

APR isn't too bad in terms of pricing for their tunes. I was like $500 for three tunes, flashed at a local dealer.

The stage 1 tunes aren't that impressive, I think you are right about them just raising the boost a little and possibly the redline shift point. I'm actually considering learning how to make my own stage 1 tune. I found a resource on the net that teaches how to code and flash ME7 for a B5 S4.

Do you know anyone else that offers a Tip Chip? A tune for the Tiptronic transmission? I think it's just GIAC that offers it. From what I could find, I think a GIAC Tip Chip tune is like $1000 or $1500. So the $500 ebay deal didn't seem to bad. The ebay guy also gives you a whole new ECU to swap out, so if I ever sell the car I can sell that Tip Chip separately and recoup some money back on it....
Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi S4 EPL Stage III Tiptronic Tune | eBay

I'll throw in the tip chip from GIAC for free.