S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

turbo failure? come on....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo failure? come on....

Guys, what is going on with all of the strange happenings with your turbos? Are most of you with "failures" or strange noises chipped? What do you attribute the failure to? I got my Nogaro S4 on 4/5 and just sent my ECU to APR. You guys are making me freak, to be honest.

Any thoughts?

Steve
Old 04-17-2001, 08:46 AM

Default ok, guys.....

I'm just buggin' out a little. I KNOW that you guys are reading this post. Anyone have any thoughts on the failures?
Old 04-17-2001, 08:56 AM

Default Re: ok, guys.....

I tend to think about the number to ease my mind. For the number of people who own an S4 the number that have turbo failure is rather small. remember you generally only hear about the failures. It would be a waste of bandwidth is everyone posted saying their car was perfect today. Hope that make you feel a little better.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:58 AM

I drive like hell and have no maintence problems with the car or the dealership. Knock on wood!!!
Old 04-17-2001, 08:59 AM

Default Thanks....

Yeah, that's what my friend said (who drives a 225TTR). These cars have to be pretty durable. I think a lot of people are paranoid, and it's making me paranoid, too!

Thanks, Mr. Stealth.

Steve
Old 04-17-2001, 08:59 AM

Default good point...

i think it also makes sense that if you at least realize that audi built the car one way, and they did a good job. sure, chips add power, but at what cost? of course its going to do something adverse to the engine, but as long as you treat the car well, i think its relatively negligible. people that just drive an s4 with the gas always floored, hold it in redline all the time, never let it warm up, dont get it serviced, etc... that will have problems. treat your car well, drive it well, and you should have no problems with chipping. (am i right?)
Old 04-17-2001, 09:00 AM

Sounds right to me! Good call, gentlemen.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:01 AM

i feel so proud. now all i need is an S4.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If I were you , I would not chip for awhile. Let any defects come to light, fixed, then move on

you will still be taking a chance, but these are good cars, but IMO high maintenance, even in stock form. If you wanted gobs of power with no warranty issues and almost immediate hard driving only to shut off the engine at your destination then you would have a different car.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:22 AM

Default Turbos have gone bad on both stock and chipped cars.

There's been much speculation as to why the Turbos go bad, but no one has the definitive answer. My feeling is that cars with bad turbos will go bad eventually, the chip will only accelerate the failure so it happens while you're still under warranty. Seriously though, chipped or stock, bad turbos seem to break pretty early on (less than 20,000 miles).

Note: This is all just my opinion. I have not chipped my car and I don't know if I will. I'm taking a wait and see attitude about it. So far, I have not felt the need to chip -- my wagon is plenty fast for the likes of me.

Quick Reply: turbo failure? come on....