S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Unknown shaking/wobble under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown shaking/wobble under acceleration

I have a 2000 Audi S4 (tip) that has been having some issues starting with unknown shaking/wobble under acceleration.

Stuff I have fixed recently because of this issue:

Axle
Rims (bent)
Tires
Motor mounts

The above list was suggested to fix the issue. But I am still having the issue.

Also I bought my car not knowing it was chipped (bought off of a chevy dealer) recently bought a boost gauge that indicates 17lbs of boost. How do I determine what chip I have because no sticker visable. This car has been a mess since I purchased.

Check engine light comes on for alittle then goes off, no reason. Runs good then runs horrible. HELP ME.

I have searched the forum for this information but no one seems to have answers for these problems.

Thank you, Tiffany
Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you feel the wobble in the steering wheel or in the seats? Also, while the Check Engine Light is on, have you scanned for codes?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wobble is located in the seats and the center console. Yes about the codes. Some were cylinder misfires etc. There was not any red flags with the scan. Something is weird with my car. I can get the check engine light to go off, I do not know if its just my imagination because when I play with the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel. It just so frustrating because no one can figure it out but they say I am wrong about the buttons. (could it be possible that my chip is defected?)Like I said I have no clue what kind of chip it is.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Tiffany
Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you open up the ECU? Sounds like it could be APR but that would be visible if you opened up the ECU.

I suspect that the wobble your feeing is either an issue with the rear differential/diff. mount or the drive shaft. Drive shaft being pretty common.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, just have had two shops that specialized in Audi's tell me it was chipped. They say if I purchased a boost gauge I would know. Well I did this and it pushes 17lbs of boost and they said it must be chipped, but nothing about the chip (where it comes from, nothing) No one seems to want to look any further. What are your suggestions?

I will look into the drive shaft but I have been to the shop in the past two months off and on. Dont you believe they would have thought this? I even have two guys that work for audi that I have do side work and they say my car is so random about the strangest things.

I also read somewhere that you have to the re program the transmission for the chip in Tiptronic, is this true?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There are a few things that can cause the wobble. IMO the most common would be the center support bearing. The fact that you feel it in the seat vs the steering wheel says a bit. If you set the car in cruse at speed can you feel vibrations with your right foot agaisnt carpeting on the side of the console?

The tiptronic can be recoded. I got rid of my chiped (giac software) tiptronic computer after 4 years because it failed. I could have placed the chip in the new controller, but I felt it wasnt worth the hour or so to do it. I have heard the vast/jhm is significantly better than the giac software.

I think that most tuners will put a sticker on thier chip. If you have APR software they actually add in an additonal board. It is pretty easy to check the ECU. You would just remove 5 screws, remove the ECU, and finally remove 4 more torx screws.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go get the cars ecu scanned at o'riley's or autozone...

if your getting random/multiple cylinder misfires i can say with 100% certainty one or more coilpacks have gone bad.

I just had the same issue in my 2000 6spd S4

good link to new ones:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/111

where are you located?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i should also ask have you checked your spark plugs?

When you get the codes read WRITE THEM DOWN and post them.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will do the coils and see if that helps. I have some extra money and I was going to purchase coils, spark plugs, MAF,intake etc. I just think that the car is getting old and needs some extra TLC. But what does any of this have to do with the shaking?

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and work in West Chester, Ohio

Santorian 2000 Audi S4 110,000miles

I have recently added Neuspeed titamium cat-back exhaust, Forge diverter Valves, intake and AWE boost guage, H&R lowering springs.

Would I benefit about replacing diverter valves again? Getting a front mount intercooler or side mounts?

I just want to keep my car. It doesnt bother me if I know the problem to fix. I hate this where no one can help me around here!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If your ever around Indy you can take mine out for a spin and feel what a bad alignment on the center drive shaft (prop shaft) feels like. Assuming I don't get a chance to align it any time soon. It feels similar to a bad drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Unknown shaking/wobble under acceleration