S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Unknown shaking/wobble under acceleration

Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad coils/spark plugs cause misfires...and misfires make your engine shake like crazy under power-
if your car was shaking no matter if you were acellerating or just cruising i would point you towards something being bent/out of balance...and your throwing a mis-fire code in the ECU!!!

Diverter valves are fine.
No need for a FMIC until you go to a bigger turbo set-up.

report back
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will replace coils and spark plugs in the next month and let you know. Thank you for your help, hopefully this works!

Where are you from?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to check for coil packs issues is to replace plugs and if your still having issues log for miss fires:

determine what cylinder has miss fires Either by a diagnostic code or by active logging.

Then swap that coil pack and another coil pack.

If the missfire moves then you have a bad coil pack.

If the missfire doesn't move then typically it is a power output stage.

If your getting codes for multiple missfires then it is usually some sort of fueling related issue. Mainly MAF issues, or metered air leaks (boost or vacuum).

Stock tunes, and almost all good tunes will have missfire logging enabled.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

im in Lawrence KS

what complacentsee is saying is the ideal way to diagnose,

however from your previous posts i figured that may be over your head...I am surprised either of the shops you took it to couldn't figure it out.

maybe consider finding a new shop...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17
Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
im in Lawrence KS

what complacentsee is saying is the ideal way to diagnose,

however from your previous posts i figured that may be over your head...I am surprised either of the shops you took it to couldn't figure it out.

maybe consider finding a new shop...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

I like how you said you figured that it may be over my head! I was just asking questions to see what suggestions this site would give. I was not trying to be a know it all. Actually being a woman I know alot about cars. I have replaced my spark plugs and worked on my car for 2 years now. I am in the learning process of my car, so it would be nice if you would keep your thoughts to yourself about what is and what is not over my head! Thank you for your information. Yes it is hard to believe the two shops I have brought my car to have not figured out the problem. But the problem is we have so many people that act like they can fix cars but they do not know the first thing about them.

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

wasn't trying to be a dick...just trying to help you solve your problem.

Any updates?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
wasn't trying to be a dick...just trying to help you solve your problem.

Any updates?
I apologize for being so defensive but because I am a girl talking about cars I get all sort of **** from guys. Like I said before it will be couple weeks until I get to the coils and spark plugs. My husband and I will be working on these ourselves and both of us have been extremely busy with our two young children. I will let you know when I have fixed this problem.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bests4u
I apologize for being so defensive but because I am a girl talking about cars I get all sort of **** from guys. Like I said before it will be couple weeks until I get to the coils and spark plugs. My husband and I will be working on these ourselves and both of us have been extremely busy with our two young children. I will let you know when I have fixed this problem.
@bests4u ... really you should scan the car before just replacing all the coil packs and the plugs. You want to do that for 2 reasons.

First, you're short on time, you want to focus on fixing the correct thing.
Second, there is money and time associated with replacing those items.

Autozone or similar should scan your car for no charge. If time is more important than money,and you are doing your own work, buy a scanner.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

she did scan the car and the code said random/multiple misfire...that means either plug(s), or coilpack(s)
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you ever find the wobble/vibration issue? I am getting it in my allroad with auto and I know its coming from the passanger axel shaft that is going into the front differential. I am just trying to find out how to fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unknown shaking/wobble under acceleration