S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Video: 2001.5 Audi S4 2.7T... Dynoed! (Stock vs GIAC-X w/ Graphs)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the differences between the brands on those K04 cars equivalent or similar to the differences between the brands on mostly stock vehicles?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default oooohhhhh...

Originally Posted by lawdogg
Are the differences between the brands on those K04 cars equivalent or similar to the differences between the brands on mostly stock vehicles?
Great question.... Me likey!

Anyone??? Anyone???
Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jamesdmanley
apr is considered the tamest tune on these cars
You have no idea what you are talking about.

I have an APR tuned H box car that was otherwise bone stock. On the day it was tuned, I road in an OCT tuned stage 1 car and I have previously driven a REVO (sp?) stage 1 car. The APR tune definitely pulls harder than either. You can just feel the extra torque.

Not only does APR claim more HP and ft/lb gains than any other company (to my knowledge)for a 93 oct stage 1 car, Bob from Stratmosphere in NY explained to me that they generally recommend OCT tunes over APR, because APR is obsessed with maximum hp and torque and has a spikier delivery over the smoother but slightly less powerful OCT tune. Please explain to me how any of this makes it the "tamest tune" out there.

There is nothing tame about the APR tune. It's like I have a whole new car, and now all I can think about is how to free up more money to make the rest of the car (front end, mounts, brakes, wheels) just as awesome.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not just posting your VAGcom logs for MAF, Torque, Boost?
Here are my first 2 logs, stage 1 custom tuned by Gwerkstuning.

Obviously (since no mods are present there to help), a stage 1 tune can only improve the low to mid range torque by allowing higher than stock boost; it cannot prevent higher rpm end from dying (small turbos, etc.). Nevertheless, the 'bang for the buck' and fun factor are huge. I am finding myself constantly in the 2500-4000 rpm range flooring the pedal to get the torque rush!

I have now cleaned out the pre cats and eliminated the main cat. The improved flow and reduced backpressure should provide some extra room for the retune.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend, go on audizine and read the thousands of threads with so many people who have tried multiple tunes... I am not saying apr sucks, in fact, I think it is an awesome tune, but look at the facts: apr stage 3 dynos about 350awhp, many other tuners dyno about 390awhp, and with meth, many are at 400+ awhp.
Most people will tell you, that giac is actually far more aggressive. I don't read much about REVO for the S4.... I know it is pretty popular with the 1.8T crowd. Same thing with unitronic. Still, even better than giac and apr is vast, epl, awe, and j-fonz tuning.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jordonb
My friend, go on audizine and read the thousands of threads with so many people who have tried multiple tunes...
I don't really need to read thousands of threads of people flaming different companies or products. My point wasn't and isn't even that APR is the best tune, as I mentioned, it was not even the first tune to be recommended to me.

My point was just that it's really silly to go say something like "tune X is the tamest tune" when it's not really true statistically or subjectively. Also, no one here, including the creators of the thread are talking about a stage 3 car. So I am not really sure why you'd bring that up, since there are so many more components at play, comparing stage three tunes is a lot more complex than our car where we just plug and go with no hardware changes.