S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Want opinions on possible car purchase.(Not asking if the s4 is good or not)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want opinions on possible car purchase.(Not asking if the s4 is good or not)

Hi all.

Well let me start off by saying this is my 1st post on this forum, or any audi forum.

I am a huge Subaru freak and I never thought I would be posting on an Audi forum. Some background info.

I own a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. I know I can't compare a Subaru to an Audi, but I am. Haha Here she is:

My 98 RS is my 1st Subaru, but my 2nd car and I LOVE it. I know what my car can be....eventually. I want to swap in a wrx motor(as my car is non turbo and makes 165hp....slow), throw on a larger turbo and have other plans, but this wont happen for a long time, because I can't have my car down for an extended period of time. It is really disheartening knowing I wont have the car the way I really want it for 3 maybe 4-5 years. As you probably know, the wrx is pretty quick, but the motor can only handle 300whp safely before you have to build the motor and Subaru trannys are week, unless you use the STI 6-Speed(which is a 5k upgrade)

My RS has 150k miles, and the motor is showing signs of starting to go. As sad as I would be seeing this car go, A newer car with a strong motor might be the way to go. I would honestly probably cry watching this car drive off haha.

But I am seriously considering putting my car up for sale after I save a few grand more, and either buying a wrx, or a 2000-2002 Audi S4.(I love subaru's and Audi's, I want to have a pretty quick car, and AWD is a must)

How does a stock 00-02 S4 compare to a stock wrx or even an STI(I have driven many Subaru's, but not an S4) Or even an A4 1.8t, how much power can be made reasonably, or is the s4 a better purchase.

Locally there is a 2000 s4 for sale, 117k miles, timing belt and water pump were done at 90k, not sure about the turbo's. He says he needs money, and he is asking $6900. And there are a few around 9k. Which is in the same price range as a used wrx.

I would like to try and get as unbiased of answers as I can, but I know how forums are! Sorry for the lengthy 1st post, but if you answer, thanks in advance!!

-Kowitz
Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It depends on what your ultimate goals are:

you can toss a GT turbo in an A4 1.8T pretty easily and get around 450 at the crank depending on how big a turbo you get. Of course, if you want a real 750hp project then you can slap two big GTs on the 2.7t.

With the S4 you have all the benefits you get from having a bigger engine for turbo application but the engine is very tightly packed and can be difficult and expensive to work on. The best thing about the S4 is that a simple chip tune will have you making a bit over 300 on a stock engine - that's pretty comparable to that Sti and it looks a lot nicer too.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would like a fast street car. The S4 stock would keep me happy for awhile, definitely long enough to save money for mods.

I would like to have around 300whp or so within some time, but eventually maybe 400? More(depending on cost)

I am very mechanically inclined, and am not afraid to tackle projects. I think I read somewhere that with a chip(GIAC? Is that the correct name?) It put down 260whp and a lot of wtq. That is awesome until I have more money(outside of extra money for repairs)
Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

For once I think I am the best person to answer this. I was actually the first sti swap into a legacy wagon in the US back when NASIOC was big. So I am big fan and have a LOT of experience with the ver.3-6 sti motors all 2.0 as you know, and jdm swaps back in 2000-2002 when that was still the best option. First of all that is a very clean gc8, I like the lip as well. I have to tell you though, here is the breakdown. The STI simply will be more reliable, period. It will be cheaper to run, maintain, and people know what the car is, so it will get attention if you keep the wing that all subaru people either love or hate. The S4 when it comes to power is a blunt force weapon compared to the Subaru. There is nothing in common with the two. The Audi pulls like nothing I have ever owned or ridden in subaru. This is saying a lot since I got to ride in Quint's creation for Chris at Crawford and many other fast stroker cars. you will find after a ride in a simple stage 1 apr chipped S4 that the acceleration of even the 2.5 sti motor will feel weak and almost "airy". So basically it comes down to whether or not you want to spend the money that an Audi takes to go fast. If you are thinking about 1.8t, don't, you will be disappointed after the torque of the 2.5 or even the 2.0 boxer. Go S4 or Sti, it is that simple. I have owned or raced on leguna/toranado/irwindale every car you are considering and those are the only two worth the time of day, not even opinion, just numbers. Hope I helped.
-Tim
Old 11-15-2009, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I don't have the money for an STI, so I am asking for opinions on wrx or s4.

I know the s4 has its quirks, I have researched.

I like the Idea of the s4's power after a chip and exhaust!!

Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No problem glad if I could help. I would have to say between the wrx and the s4, that if you want a cheaper to maintain car that is still quick the wrx is a good vehicle. The Audi will cost more, but with that cost comes an edge in pretty much every aspect from materials to performance.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you're good with DYI maintenance on cars, then I'd say you should definitely consider B5 S4 as an option. Can either go for a stage-3 car that's been tuned properly, or get a Stage-1/2 with potential for HUGE MODS in the future.

Just make sure you look for these:
- Inspect engine very thoroughly [best is to have an Audi guy do it]
- Inspect the gearbox/shifter, some cars have a 1-2 slider issue which is COSTLY to repair
- Inspect steering rack, after 60K miles, they tend to leak a bit (not too costly to repair though)
- Get a car with very good maintenance history, Synthetic oil is pretty much a must for modded S4s
- Inspect control arms

Apart from engine and gearbox big issues, pretty much everything else is not as big a deal. I was VERY SCARED when I got my 01 S4, and despite everyone's complaints, I had NO major costly repair during the 3yr ownership (sold 4 mos ago), and I tracked it 6-7 times, started with 45K miles and drove it until it had 65K.