S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

A Week With An S4

Old 09-07-1999, 08:49 AM
jamie

Default A Week With An S4

We have had an Audi S4 to drive for over a week now and I wanted to pass along some thoughts. (these are my opinions)

The S4 is a wonderful car. It is extremely linear in acceleration, handles well, and has beautiful fit, finish and detailing. I have to say overall though, that I have some disappointment most likely related to the overall "sporting" nature of the car. At the press introduction, Audi called the S4 a "silken rocket". This is an apt description. While there is no doubt of the S4's sporting nature, it is NOT a hard edged purist car. Perhaps I thought differently of it's mission in life (Audi's premiere sport version of the A4), but it now appears that Audi has introduced the RS4, and I would have to guess THAT car is the true sport model.

Let me try to qualify all this. Overall acceleration is very quick. Deceivingly quick as you look down at the speedo and realize you are going faster than you probably thought. There is a tremendous push of acceleration at around 2000 RPM that levels off into a very linear power band. The power tapers slightly towards redline and gets slightly raucous (similar to the regular 2.8 motor).

Handling is likewise sporting. Turn-in could be improved, and there is some body-roll in the corners. The stock Bridgestones also tend to squeal quite a bit when pushed hard. Overall the handling is safe and neutral and SHOULD be easy to catch if you get in over your head. Ride is very commendable considering it is riding on 40-series tires.

The catch to all this (if there is one) is that those of you with modified Audi A4s (particularly 1.8T's or supercharged 2.8's) might find the lack of any peakiness in the motor frustrating. Power is there, but it is so linear, that once you get beyond the initial thrust at 2000RPM, there isn't any more excitement. Also, handling is not razor sharp (particularly turn-in) like I would have expected. Handling is very good and above the level that most sane people would drive on the street, but it isn't at the purist level of say a BMW M3. The compromise in ride vs. handling is probably to blame in this case.

I guess I had expectations myself that the S4 for $38,000 would be the ultimate sport version of the A4. It isn't. It IS a wonderful car for the money, and if you plan to keep it stock, you'll be very happy with it. Those of you with modified A4s (particularly in the handling department) may be faced with having to modify the S4 handling to meet your current expectations. With so many of you talking about leasing the S4 to be able to get into one, making modifications may not be an option (or one that you want to risk).

The best advice is be sure to drive the S4 first before buying. It will be nearly impossible to be objective during a short drive as the car is over-whelming. It's the same typical overall trend in the automotive industry lately to make cars (even sporting models) that HAVE to appeal to a really broad audience. So they load them up with every conceivable option and throw in suspension settings agreeable to a wide diversity of people. Consequently the cars get heavier and the sporting feel of the car gets slightly masked.

Feel free to ask for clarification to the above statemetns or any other questions you may have. We drove this car 2400 miles across country, so we are fairly familiar with it.

-jamie (flame suit on)
Old 09-07-1999, 09:05 AM
steve l o

Default Some questions...

I do have a few questions. No flames...
1) since you drove it 2400 miles, did you notice any slop in the drive train. I'm seeing some posts from people with the Quattro on the A4 talking about "clunks" and "shudders". Notice any of these?
2) on your trip, did you ever floor it at the 2500-3000 rpm mark? was the acceleration gratifying? you said acceleration was linear, but does it give more when you want it.
3) were the seats comfy? were they the all leather or alacantera inserts?
4) what kind of looks did you get from other drivers in this car? any fellow audi drivers give you a wave?
5) was motor noise that noticable? exhaust noise? not concerned about it, just wondering how others feel it is.
Last question for now...
Over all build quality? What are your impressions? Solid? Creaks, cracks, strange noises? Just curious.

Thanks
Steve O.
Old 09-07-1999, 09:22 AM
AvramD

Default A few questions...

How was yours equipped? Did it have the Nav system? If so, what were your impressions?

If it had Bose, what did you think of it?

What was your impression of the tranny & shifter?

What colors was it? If it was black, or had black leather, how hot did it get in the sun?

Did you chip it? (just kidding 8-)
Old 09-07-1999, 09:33 AM
jamie

Default Re: A few questions...

>How was yours equipped? Did it have the Nav system? If so, what were your impressions?

No navigation system in our model. It was silver with black and silver alcantara interior and faux aluminum looking trim pieces. It was basically loaded except for the nav system. I drove an A6 2.7T in Monterey that had the nav system and would say you will need to do some serious reading to understand the operation of it. The controls are awkward, especially compared to the 4" CRT screen control nav systems VW and Audi offer in Europe. Otherwise it was accurate in the directions that it gave and made corrections pretty quickly if you diverted off the prescribed drive route.

>If it had Bose, what did you think of it?

It's the new symphony sound system which is a tremendous improvement over the old radios.

>What was your impression of the tranny & shifter?

Throws are a little long, and six is basically just an overdrive gear (which helps fuel economy tremendously).

-jamie
Old 09-07-1999, 09:47 AM
jamie

Default Re: Some questions...

1) since you drove it 2400 miles, did you notice any slop in the drive train. I'm seeing some posts from people with the Quattro on the A4 talking about "clunks" and "shudders". Notice any of these?

No. In fact Doug here says that the S4's lack of slop makes the slop in his current A4 seem that more obvious. It still has a little shudder at low speed, tight angle steering manuevers due to the Quattro system, but it is less pronounced than the A4. Every Audi model I have driven has this tendancy.

2) on your trip, did you ever floor it at the 2500 3000 rpm mark? was the acceleration gratifying? you said acceleration was linear, but does it give more when you want it.

The power on the highway is gratifying. You don't even find that you need to downshift from sixth gear if you don't want to. Of course if you do, it's that much better.

3) were the seats comfy? were they the all leather or alacantera inserts?

The seats were comfy, although not as comfortable as the A6 4.2. The other big problem is head room. The sport seats (which were black leather with silver alcantara) sit very high. I'm six foot and with the seat set to it's lowest position, my head almost scrapes the headliner.

4) what kind of looks did you get from other drivers in this car? any fellow audi drivers give you a wave?

From Califonia all the way to Chicago, not one look. Weird.

5) was motor noise that noticable? exhaust noise? not concerned about it, just wondering how others feel it is.

Not at all. Just a woosh from the exhaust under full throttle.

Last question for now...
Over all build quality? What are your impressions? Solid? Creaks, cracks, strange noises? Just curious.

Car has been very solid so far. No creaks rattles or problems to speak of.

-jamie
Old 09-07-1999, 10:01 AM
loreon

Default Sounds like a perfect balance of form and function to me...

...the more reviews (like your's) I read about the car the more I'm convinced that it will be the ideal car for me.

I feel quite certain that it will deliver my kids to school as efficiently and safely as it will take the stress out of my day via the long winding way home.

Despite many optimistic speculations, I did not expect to have this car perform like a 911 or even an M3 and I am, in a small way, glad it won't. Too much temptation in cars like that for me. The trick gear box and quattro are important counter-points to what it apparently lacks in pure sports-car performance.

Thanks for your well time review. I think that I can (with some effort) convince myself to take delivery of this car despite the fact that Audi will almost certainly cheat it's canadian customers with regard to a few items that, IMHO, really tied together the entire package perfectly.

Some Questions:

- Did you find the same sort of dartiness in the steering that (I think) Matt Daniels reported earlier?

- Did you notice what the RPM/MPH values were at various speeds?
I am most interested in the RPM @ 65mph in 5th and 6th, as well as the MPH at or near redline in gears 1 thru 4, maybe 5, and, dare I hope, 6?

Thanks.
Old 09-07-1999, 12:15 PM
m34IYG

Default Re: A Week With An S4

I was wondering whether this would be a good primary car for a person who could afford this car but stuggle a bit; the main reference being in the gas mileage. What did you average? Best/Worst? Thanks again for all the info.
Old 09-07-1999, 01:25 PM
Withheld

Default No offense meant....

But, if the cost of gas is the determining factor as to whether or not you can afford this car-- you can't afford it.

I'm not saying that to be mean at all. Christ, I make almost 90k, and I can't afford the d*mn thing (student loans, etc...)

I just think that if its that close, you're better off saving your money and getting something more reasonable.

Especially with these $750+ lease rates being thrown around.

Good luck with your decision
Old 09-07-1999, 01:26 PM
steve l o

Thanks Jamie, great write up!!!
Old 09-07-1999, 02:42 PM
Doug

Default ~24 mpg through the entire trip.

nt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Week With An S4