S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

A Week With An S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 02:44 PM
Doug

Default Co-driver Counterpoint

Ok, my turn. I do disagree with Jamie when it comes to this car. I am completely infatuated with it, with few minor excceptions.

To quanitify this, though, let me say that my daily driver is a 1-bar A4 turbo quattro, so the step into an S4 is not an uncomfortable one. Immediately, I wish the car had better seats. I am really picky about seating, positions and comfort in sports cars, and the S4's power seating mechanisim takes up much more space, obviously than the non powered units in my car. The seats just don't adjust low enough. Headroom is comprimised, and helmets will be a close call. The reverse spring in the shifter is also way to soft, and should be stifened up to prevent any unwanted vertical movement during spirited shifting.

I also am really disappointed in the stock ride height of the car, especially in the front. Typical of most late model VWs and Audis. This just looks bad.

Ohter than that, the car is spectacular, and everything I tried not to expect out of it. Smooth and linear power that pulls REALLY hard from 1800 rpm all the way to redline, with very little turbo lag at all. This motor has the feeling of a NA motor of much greater displacement, without all of the noise and weight. Chip this bad boy and surprise some Corvettes.

I'll admit that the handling could be firmer, sharper or more direct, but in my belief, I wouldn't necessarily trade that for the comfort offered on the stock setup. The dive and squat are a bit annoying, too. I just love the ride of this car, especially with 17's and 45-series tires. I would love for my 1.8t to ride this well. How many of the people that are buying these cars to drive everyday are buying them to race, or really want the buckboard ride associated with stiffly sprung suspension? I don't know if I would, really.

Also keep some things in mind when comparing the S4 to the M3 (good or bad). First, the M3 still comes in at a price tag much greater than the S4, and will grow even more when the new E46 chassis M3 is rolled out. Also, the M3 has had 12 years of refining into what it is now. True, the S4 is adapted to a chassis that is nearing the end of its production run, and well overdue, as well. But I do think that I would rather be driving this car through 4 seasons. Want a track car? I'd take an M3 coupe, at this point. Though I would still say that there is more immediate tuning potential for the new biturbo S4.

To compare the S4 to the TT to the A6 v8 is unfair (no pun intended). They all do different things for Audi, and are aimed at different driving ideas. They all work for what they are intended to offer, as well.

All things being equal though, and I'll take my S4 in pearl white, please. Don't forget the Canadian carbon interior trim and the European S4 aluminum mirrors.

doug
Old 09-07-1999, 03:02 PM
m34iyg

Default Re: No offense meant....

Although that comment stings, I understand. But my current situation lasts for another couple of years to which case I will make $200,000 to $300,000 in my specialty, then it will be fine (Heck already a job position offered me!). I just don't want to be spending too much now when I make less than you (in training, but single with not tooo many loans compared to the national average.)
My problem is the fact that I am a car buyer type and can't justify buying another car in two to three years when I want the S4 ot equivalent. Besides the S4 leases suck eh? ;-)
Old 09-07-1999, 03:03 PM
John Sargent

Default Thanks for letting me drive it Jamie

Thanks for letting me take it around the block Jamie. I could hardly tell there was a turbo, very seamless acceleration. Smooth ride too.
I was very impressed with every aspect of the car.
Old 09-07-1999, 06:01 PM
Withheld

Well, it sounds like you've at least thought it through. And your future sounds assured-- you will have no trouble affording the S4 with that kind of money.
Just remember two things:

(1) Getting the S4 now, instead of leasing something else for 3 years, will make things pretty tight

and

(2) When you are actually making 200-300k, you're probably going to be thinking about cars far above the S4 in price.

Best of luck.
Old 09-07-1999, 06:15 PM
m34iyg

Thanks for your input. Maybe leasing a car is the right option despite my automatic disgust for renting a car. I just don't think leasing an S4 is the right thing given the numbers quoted.
However, If the base price is 37,900 and since I don't care for any add ons, it is similar to a
BMW 328i/Ci. That is what kills me (I am considering that car as well) which is why the disparity in gas mileage and power (gas mileage BMW and performance AUDI) kills me.

I should have the patience like you said and lease the BMW (much better deal) and re-assess my plan in the future. Well thanks for helping me think this out. Tell me if you think my thoughts above are logical.

M34iyg
Old 09-07-1999, 06:36 PM
Steve S.

Default Jane you ignorant **** < - - Saturday Night Live saying (no offense meant)

Jamie, I know you have had tons of time to drive the S4/A6 4.2/TTQ back from Monterey to Chicago...so I do value your opinion. I did get to drive one...for about 100 yards...so I feel compelled to comment as well. I did get to ride in one for about 5-6 miles (up to 90-95 mph). I think that, for the money, you cannot go wrong with the S4. Yes, we all like to tinker...and I will seriously be considering the nose dive/squat issue..and the swaying. I have sway bars and coilovers on my A4...so I definitely know what you mean...and like to lessen that kind of movement in my car. I think with a nice coilover set-up (the new one from H&R - stiffer) and with Neuspeed sway bars..and better tires..the S4 will be AWESOME. Just my 2 cents worth.

Off the podium.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-08-1999, 08:19 AM
Drew

Default Re: A few questions...

What were your impressions of the black/silver alcantara interior? Would you recommend it? I am having trouble deciding between this and the soild silver leather, have you seen this? Which do you prefer? What do you think of the wood vs. aluminum trim issue?

Drew
Old 09-08-1999, 10:57 AM
Todd W

Default Jamie is right _________ and then there is the RS4 :)

The S4 is a wonderful car but not sharply sporting. As always, a few judicious mods will go a long way. The right wheel/tire size will help the steering weight some and coilovers will improve the handling. However, as is it is very much a mass market compromised car for the market segment. Maybe it is too refined. Audi, bring me the RS4 even if only with the stock S4 engine!!!!!

Todd W