S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What is This Squeaking Coming from My Car?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is This Squeaking Coming from My Car?!

I recently purchased a 2001 S4 with 53,000 miles on it. I have been trying to tackle a few "bugs" the car has. This one just started today:

First off - the rear suspension of my car squeaks like crazy. It is very annoying and VERY embarassing...sounds like a hamster wheel when I am going slow speeds, such as driving in a parking garage or through a parking lot. I do not know what is causing the squeak, but if I press down on the rear of the car while it is in Park it makes noise as well.

Today, though, I noticed a new type of sound coming from the rear wheel, on the driver's side only. When driving at slow speeds it makes a "crunch-like" sound, if that makes sense. Once I start to drive faster, the sound speeds up with the rotation of the wheel. Once I hit a certain point the sound turns into a high-pitched, fast squeek. I got to my neighborhood and had someone drive the car down the street very slowly while I walked next to it (this is when I discovered that it was the driver's side rear wheel only). When I got close to the wheel to listen, it sounded more like rubber "creaking"...kind of like if you try to slide/drag a tire on a smooth floor, or if you rub two pieces of rubber together (sorry of the poor analogies, lol).

I took the car in for an inspection two days ago and was told it needed brakes. I orignally thought the crunching/squeaking sound I heard was coming from one of the calipers being pinched against the rotor, but once I listened to it from outside of the car I no longer felt that was the case. Can someone please help me get this resolved?! Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

sounds like a wheel bearing
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

While at speed, turn the car side to side, if its a wheel bearing you will find that the noise goes away as you turn in one direction while getting louder in the other. Also, you can jack up the car, put your hands at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position on the tire and move side to side. Then do the same at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, there should be 0 play. Do this on all 4 wheels. (the front should be smooth turning 3-9)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found out that it was not a wheel bearing - the tire itself was making the noise. It seems to be unbalanced on the wheel, so I am taking it to Tire Kingdom tomorrow to have them look at it for me...