S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What's the main diff between S4 and RS4...

Old 08-25-1999, 08:17 AM
loreon

Default What's the main diff between S4 and RS4...

Is it the same 2.7L displacement with two k03 turbos?

Is it just a very well tuned S4 Avant with some exhaust, suspension and body works?

Can it be fairly argued that the S4 is capable of the same performance as an RS4 given that you do similar tuning enhancements to the engine and exhaust system?

Just wondering....
Old 08-25-1999, 08:47 AM
Todd W

Default The RS4 is complete

It has upgraded turbos, brakes, suspension, wheels, body, seats, etc. Best of all it is an Avant :-)

The S4 is a great starting place for mods, but the RS4 only needs track wheels.

Todd W
Old 08-25-1999, 09:12 AM
loreon

Default A Track Ready Avant! - Talk about a weekend warrior....

... I know that sudden late evening craving for cheesecake or wings can make you do some silly thing but I am pretty damn sure I would forget what I wanted once I got to the deli if I was driving the RS4.

Does anybody really need to get their groceries home that fast?

Still, it's a very tempting proposition....
Old 08-25-1999, 09:42 AM
Matt Daniels

On the A4 forum, somebody mentioned that the heads were developed by Cosworth
Old 08-25-1999, 09:58 AM
Todd W

Default Who needs food when you're driving a car like that!!!

Forget groceries!!! Americans just don't understand what a sport wagon is about. It is not just about a sporty car, it is a sporting lifestyle.

I want an Avant because it handles better than a sedan, is more comfortable for four, and most of all hauls my toys: Mountain Bike, Windsurfer, Snowboard, Kayaks, etc. A sedan could haul my rollerblades and tow a racing dingy, but the Avant still carries wetsuits, tents, coolers, tools and racing wheels easier. It also carries things on top better because you can spread out the crossbars on the roof rack.

It's about lifestyle, not looking cool. And yes, I am very single but I still want a wagon!!! My dream is to load an A4 Avant (S4 or RS4 if available) with bike, snowbard, rollerblades, tent, tools, backpack, cooler, etc. and drive around the country. I would camp, backpack, go to QCUSA track events, run one lap of America, rent windsurfers at the Columbia river, go to Alaska, winter in the Rockies, and generally have a good time for a year or so. Of course, I'd have to win the lottery

Todd W
Old 08-25-1999, 10:40 AM
B

Default Well....you sound just a bit fruity to most of us

Your the one that they are aiming the Nissan Xterra towards....not the RS4......I think SOME seperation is in order.
Old 08-25-1999, 11:02 AM
Loreon

Default ...and don't forget the groceries!...

...you're preaching to the choir here Todd.

I'm totally sold on the idea of a wagon...er...I mean Avant. (I drive the V70 AWD Avant myself.)

I am just finding it difficult to accept that a wa...um...Avant will beat my S4 sedan while on the way to drop the kids for all terrain extreme roller-kayak-climbing practice.

...and despite what you say, studies have confirmed that most americans who drive Avants do, on occasion, buy groceries.... ;o)

By the way, do you really participate in all those sports? No wonder you can't afford the RS4! I know how expensive some of that sports equipment can get.

A 340bhp hauler - hmmm, can anyone else see how easily you can leave that pair of $1200 dollar mountains bikes on the road behind you? Hun.... I could have sworn I put them up on the roof rack before we left!
Old 08-25-1999, 11:12 AM
Smart-Ass

You're losing 40hp & the car hasn't even hit our shores yet!!!
Old 08-25-1999, 11:22 AM
mpm

Where u bean brudda?
Old 08-25-1999, 11:42 AM
loreon

Default They've been making me earn my keep lately....

...I can't believe how inconsiderate they've been.

I've pretty much missed more than two weeks of this coffee klutch club.

First thing I see when I get on this week is the new look. I was pretty upset - let me tell you.

So let me ask you what may be a rhetorical question; 996 C4 or the New RS4?

Never mind... I think I know the answer.... You Porsch-a type guys are all the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the main diff between S4 and RS4...