S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Where do I Begin...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I Begin...

First, Hello Audi folks!

I own an S4 1993-4, manual transmission. It's had two owners: my father, and me. He passed on the knowledge I would need to keep her running and running well, with just over 267k miles, all is as good as it can be. Can't complain, loved this car since I first saw it. Just a few minor bugs...

About 6-7 yrs ago, all sorts of electrical problems began. At first, it was a loose wire in the trunk, telling me my tail light was out with that ever-so-annoying 'beep'....repeatedly, until something settled or stopped rubbing it the wrong way. Dad knew. He is a smart guy, he takes totally pride in his vehicles, so we are all on the same page: it's something that began while in his care and it's the dummy light. It's not even bothersome anymore, it just is. We have accepted it. Not fixing something that seems to be all in her [emerald queen] head. (I'm sure I'll catch some flack for that name. Deal. This is happening).

Not new: the cruise control stopped working. It used to 'kind-of' work, it was hit n' miss. Now, nothing, or, it picks up but it's like it only a brief moment and then she goes back to having amnesia about what she's supposed to do.

Not new but totally going to make me fail my inspection this year: high beams won't come on unless I manically flip em on and off, indicator left, right, up, down, up, down, B, A Start....and then they work. Intermittently.

So...... Electrical gremlins, gnawing away at my poor babies brain. Oh, and now I may have to replace "the bomb". Brake thing..ish. We did all the maintainance, did the usual regular things. Still bad. As in dangerous to drive if I have to brake suddenly for anything. Slow reflex. My dad explained it, I'm hoping someone here knows what on gods green earth I'm talking about. I don't know how much I want to drop into her if she's coming to the end of her lifespan, but...that said, her turbo is pristine. Engine is immaculate KNOCK ON WOOD. Worst thing under the hood is a minor slow leak of antifreeze..which I keep on hand. Same thing with audi juice, but I figure it's to be expected with a 23 yr old Audi. (In case this confuses: mineral oil).

There, I tried to provide a history, gave ya'll my lfe story.

Help? Any and all education is welcome, even bad news.

Thank you
Old 03-01-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Those old Audis are soooo prone to bad ignition switches, which will give you all the gremlins you can dream of.

But it also sounds like your control stalk on that controls your high beams and your cruise control (which i assume are all on the same one?) is bad. The one in mine is bad as well, and will set an invalid signal code in the ECU, and the cruise control will not work until the key is cycled. My high beams also works when they want. I'm working on finding one.

Lastly you and your Dad need to bust out a multimeter when your brake light warning is on and check your wiring for proper voltage and continuity. Although this once again could stem from an ooky ignition switch.

Keep us updated.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TheHud85
Those old Audis are soooo prone to bad ignition switches, which will give you all the gremlins you can dream of.

But it also sounds like your control stalk on that controls your high beams and your cruise control (which i assume are all on the same one?) is bad. The one in mine is bad as well, and will set an invalid signal code in the ECU, and the cruise control will not work until the key is cycled. My high beams also works when they want. I'm working on finding one.

Lastly you and your Dad need to bust out a multimeter when your brake light warning is on and check your wiring for proper voltage and continuity. Although this once again could stem from an ooky ignition switch.

Keep us updated.
Thank you! I'm glad and sad to know someone else out there is having the same troubles! I got a wing tail light online from a well known seller on eBay-my mom backed into my fathers pickup in the driveway...some yrs ago. (Ha, imagine explaining that to insurance company). She superglued all the pieces together and it lasted this long. Then someone backed into me and it's done. Anyyyyway-point: he is looking for a replacement signal/cruise control/headlight stalk.

Another new issue: I was able to start the car with out the clutch engaged yesterday. Pops said something about a switch or a connection that needs to be looked at.

A young guy at the local foreign car shop wants to buy my Audi. He wants to tweak the engine and turn it into a street racer? Wth. Laugh OUT LOUD. But seriously...I'm considering it. He said he would trade me a granny Audi that has less miles, still manual tranny. Problem is his doesn't run. Mine still does regardless of all electric bugs. I'm sitting on it for now. I have hopes for Audi yet.

I'll keep you posted!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also: just for shiggles-analog clock still ticking...I never get over the fact that you still have to set it with the dash board teeny tiny twisty button by pulling it out and holding it turned... Daylight savings... *moan