S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Wife Got an S4, Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife Got an S4, Now What?

My wife emailed me at work on Friday and told me to check out this yellow car on a local car lot web site.... I could tell there was no stopping her. I didnt even try. Now we have a 2000 S4 6spd.

Now what? Is there a good site with "problem spots" listed?

I guess its my wifes idea of a family car. It has had some mods done to it, I dont think its supposed to be that low or that fast? There is some kind of turbo timer in the dash in place of the cup holder. Neuspeed exhaust. Are slotted rotors stock? Not a single ding on it (besides rock chips on the front bumper). Geeze she can pick em out cant she... Im going to need yall's help keeping this thing on the road.

I going to get it up on stands and have a close look.

We had a nice A6 - - RIP. My fondest memory of that car was fixing the AC by replacing to solar cell separation relay.

P e a c e
KYCHUCKY
Old 09-20-2009, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hand over the pants
Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kychucky
My wife emailed me at work on Friday and told me to check out this yellow car on a local car lot web site.... I could tell there was no stopping her. I didnt even try. Now we have a 2000 S4 6spd.

Now what? Is there a good site with "problem spots" listed?

I guess its my wifes idea of a family car. It has had some mods done to it, I dont think its supposed to be that low or that fast? There is some kind of turbo timer in the dash in place of the cup holder. Neuspeed exhaust. Are slotted rotors stock? Not a single ding on it (besides rock chips on the front bumper). Geeze she can pick em out cant she... Im going to need yall's help keeping this thing on the road.

I going to get it up on stands and have a close look.

We had a nice A6 - - RIP. My fondest memory of that car was fixing the AC by replacing to solar cell separation relay.

P e a c e
KYCHUCKY
Congrats on the new S4- This thing is not stock That's good and bad depending on how you look at it.

-Stock boost is around 8-9 psi- is there a boost gauge anywhere? A turbo timer in the dash indicates the previous owner was concerned with cooling down the turbos. You may want to see if there is a blue coolant sensor installed - this runs the afterun coolant system after normal shutdown (search this topic if you don't know about it).

- Under the hood is there a new TBB installed? Perhaps a Samco? If the inlet pipes are black you could have K04s.

-Slotted rotors are not stock.

-You mention it is low- get it on a lift to determine what suspension combo it has

Welcome to the paranoia of B5 S4 ownership.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

wow your wife has good taste in cars but im bettin she picked it out because it was yellow.. anyways nice buy, sounds like a good car. check out the edy jun website, tons knowledge there and search the forum archives here.
http://homepage.mac.com/edyjun1/S4/index.htm
Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

She has always liked interesting cars. She brought home a BMW 635csi 5 spd once. She tollerated the A6 (slow). She has alway enjoyed driving more than me. I guess because her brain is not filled with images of what all thoes part are doing. I do have some questions about what I saw today changing the oil. See next post.

What is a TBB (throttle body boot?) it has the black tubes.

Where is the blue coolant sensor installed?

Its got Eibach springs, and bilsteins.

Its does have the turbo timer.

..paranoia of B5 S4 ownership... yes that is funny, I have already noticed that feeling comming from the on line community....Its just parts. It is a bit overwelming learning a new car. We just got a BMW e46 323i about 3 weeks ago too. So I had to catch up on that to.

P e a c e
KYC
Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The TBB connects the 2 halves of the charged air system and funnels it to the throttle body. The boot is basically a rubber hose and it is especially prone to cracking, leading to boost leaks.

The blue coolant sensor is connected on the lower coolant hose near the radiator, on the passengers side.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

there is no TBB it has the bi pipe, one piece.

how do I tell if it has K04s?

Thanks for the blue coolant sensor tips. will try to inspect that soon.

She drove it to work today...all smiles.

thanks,

KYC
Old 09-22-2009, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kychucky
there is no TBB it has the bi pipe, one piece.

how do I tell if it has K04s?

Thanks for the blue coolant sensor tips. will try to inspect that soon.

She drove it to work today...all smiles.

thanks,

KYC
The only quick way to tell is by the inlets. If they are aluminum/silverish these are K03, if black, K04s. You could also look at the blue tag on the turbo but I am afraid that they might be hard or impossible to locate thru the dirt and due to turbos orientation.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tell by the exhaust housing. In addition to the inlets.

Some people run k03 inlets on k04s though making it more difficult to tell. Besides all that, check the requested boost/fuel injectors/FPRs.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you could still get a hold of the previous owner and ask him for a mod list that would be golden, sounds like a really nice buy. how many miles are on the car and where are you located?

Quick Reply: Wife Got an S4, Now What?