S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Would you have ordered the S4 Avant if it was available? I would.

Old 08-29-1999, 10:03 PM
Joe Grace

Default RS4 would be my ideal car.

S4 avant would be nice. I've compared avant with sedan and noticed that there's a wee bit (perhaps an inch) more leg room in the avant! The specs say 2 cubic feet more rear room. Measuring (crudely) I noticed there's about an inch extra from the center pillar to the back seat. I couldn't absolutely convince myself of significantly more leg room. More leg room would make sense though due to the increased wheel base. Perhaps they allowed themselves the more leg room since the ceiling is flat all the way back (so Audi could move the rear seats back an inch or so for more leg room?).

There *definitely* is more head room for tallies in the avant though. Way more. I'm 6'1" and fit in the 'pocket' of headroom in the sedan. The avant has no pocket, just head room (probably more than inch more going all the way back). Makes sense due to the flat ceiling all the way back (compared to sedan).

Only downside I noticed is that the Avant is 'missing' a pair of speakers. The speakers on the rear deck of the sedan don't seem to exist anywhere. Doh.

-=-

If I could buy an RS4 today, now, I would be in heaven. That car is so grocery spanking non-descript sporty, that I just love it. I also love the show car's metallic blue (it doesn't seem to be just silver). I would literally take that car fully loaded (who in this forum wouldn't? :-).

The pure utility of increased leg room, head room, and the benefits of a sports wagon is very appealing: friends, longer trips with passengers, skiing (boarding), moving stuff, etc..

RS4: ideal car for this stage of my life (35 yo: post-Miata (or nowadays, TT), pre-[R]S6).