S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

20" Tires, all season vs summer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Tires, all season vs summer

Looking to replace the stock P zeros on my 20" package S6 and not sure if I should go for all seasons or summers. I know there's a lot of topics on tires already but I couldn't find a satisfying answer for my particular case. I'm looking at a good "all-round" tire that is comfortable for the commute but doesn't suck on the occasional canyon drive and I do often have my 2 newborn twins in the back so safety is definitely a priority.

By getting all-seasons, am I compromising a lot in the handling department? I'm afraid that an all summer tire won't hold up in occasional rainy weather. Is this true? Is an all-season automatically a more comfortable ride than a summer tire?

I live in Northern CA so 1) the roads suck, 2) it never snows however in recent years it's been raining quite a lot in the winter months where I am.

Currently I'm gravitating towards these two options from reading Tirerack reviews and the research I've done on this forum:
- Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (W- or Y-Speed Rated)

Did I miss some other good options? Any input/experience is appreciated - thanks!
Old 08-26-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ditched my P Zero tires and went with the DWS 06, they ride better and they handle fine.
Plus, I like being able to use them into the fall so as not to add wear to my winter tires here in New England.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:22 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

If you are not going to use them below 45ºF then I say summer tires.
But I am biased and have to swap tires in the winter so I like no compromises.
If you check Tirerack reviews the Michelin PSS (the only summer tire to get) rates a 9.0 in wet traction and hydroplaning resistance which is pretty good, DWS06 is a 9.3 but might be splitting hairs there. I've never been concerned with summers in the rain...just the cold is when you need to be careful or on different tires.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had very good experience with the DWS tires on a different car, and I am thinking of putting them on the S6 when I wear through the OEM p-zeros. I mounted a set of Blizzaks winters last season and while they are great in show/slush they are extremely loud on dry roads. So loud I thought I had a damaged bearing.

One question I have is how Audi regards non-OEM tires when you return a lease. Any experience with that?

Edit - I just googled it and Audi says for Quattro cars all tires have to be matching brand and size and be of similar quality to OEM (but not necessarily the same exact model)

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...s-brochure.pdf

Last edited by djsiry; 08-27-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been driving Audi's for some time now, and have always had summer and winter tires. I lease my cars and always have had to replace the OEM's before surrendering the vehicle. I have never replaced with the original OEM tire, having been a huge fan of Michelin PPS, and there has never been any problem or mention of the tires. I recently replaced my 2014 S4 with an 2016 S6 and can't wait to burn out the OEM p-zeros so I can get back into some Michelin PPS's
Old 08-27-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually was planning to put new tires now and save the p zeros to put them back on before returning the lease. They're just too crappy to 'burn through' first so might as well pass them on to the next owner
Old 08-29-2016, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Talked to my local tire shop and I will probably go for the summer tire. He explained that summer tires actually perform better in rain and that all seasons only make sense below a certain temperature (45F).

Looking at the Michelin PSS, they're asking $1421 including mounting, tax and tire protection plan. Is that in line what you guys been paying? The guy also recommended Potenza SO4 as an alternative - anyone familiar with those?

I like the Michelin option because I can return them within 30 days and only pay for mounting/balancing $22/tire (and the price difference) to get other ones. Figured I might as well try them and then see if I like them.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:40 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Not to sound mean but if you return PSS's then there is something wrong with you...not the tires. J/k, but seriously they are that good. Everything else is second best as long as you are above 45 degrees.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My car had Pilot Sport A/S tires when I bought it. They were fine, but I really missed the responsiveness and grip of the PSSs I'd had on my S4, so I ditched the all seasons for PSSs and have never looked back.

I'd shop around a bit as I paid quite a bit less than what you've been quoted.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just replaced the OEM P-Zeros (at 45,000 km or so) and went with Conti ExtremeContact DWs (the summer-only version). Love 'em. They're quieter and more comfortable than the original Pirellis, have more stick than I need, and are great in the rain. Best of all, they were cheaper than PSSs by a significant margin. Highly recommended!

Quick Reply: 20" Tires, all season vs summer