S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

20" Tires, all season vs summer

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Not to sound mean but if you return PSS's then there is something wrong with you...not the tires. J/k, but seriously they are that good. Everything else is second best as long as you are above 45 degrees.
Lol, the reason I'm doubting is on my last A6 I switched to the PS3s A/S and traded them back the next day for stock Pirellis P7s, the ride got just way to uncomfortable (yes, I tried different pressures). I really gave them a chance but ride was just too hard, it just wasn't for me. You will probably laugh and tell me to go eat it but yeah tastes differ I guess. I can see on an S6 I'd be willing to trade comfort for better cornering.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I just replaced the OEM P-Zeros (at 45,000 km or so) and went with Conti ExtremeContact DWs (the summer-only version). Love 'em. They're quieter and more comfortable than the original Pirellis, have more stick than I need, and are great in the rain. Best of all, they were cheaper than PSSs by a significant margin. Highly recommended!
Thanks for the recommendation, I was tempted to try the Michelins because of their return policy but maybe I should just go straight for these since they seem to be everything I'm looking for, are cheaper and will save me the $100 for replacing the Michelins. Hmmm, choices....
Old 08-30-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I just replaced the OEM P-Zeros (at 45,000 km or so) and went with Conti ExtremeContact DWs (the summer-only version). Love 'em. They're quieter and more comfortable than the original Pirellis, have more stick than I need, and are great in the rain. Best of all, they were cheaper than PSSs by a significant margin. Highly recommended!
I was actually looking for DWS here in Texas but are not stocked and all they had was DW.

I love them, I just don't know how they will be in the winter- however little of it we have.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The choice depends upon your driving...

When I lived in New England, and had the first four of my Audi's, I always ran summer tires and then winter severe service snow tires (mountain and flake) on -1 sizing combos obtained from the Tire Rack. Now that we are in California, our driving patterns are much different. The canyon and mountain roads are a playground and we burn through tires quickly (usually 8-10K on the RS5 and S4). We continue to run summer performance tires exclusively.

The Continental DWS and DWS 06 draw rave reviews as all-season tires. I am thinking of trying a set next time as I will be getting tires in November and we do have cold temperatures in the mountains. They are relatively cheap and have a UTQG rating of 560, where our summer performance tires are in the 240-300 range (DOT track tires are ~140).

I am sure the handling will be a little less precise, but more fun for the quattro and traction management system to sort out...
Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Lol, the reason I'm doubting is on my last A6 I switched to the PS3s A/S and traded them back the next day for stock Pirellis P7s, the ride got just way to uncomfortable (yes, I tried different pressures). I really gave them a chance but ride was just too hard, it just wasn't for me. You will probably laugh and tell me to go eat it but yeah tastes differ I guess. I can see on an S6 I'd be willing to trade comfort for better cornering.
Yep I hear ya...different tastes. All I can offer is not all Michelins are create equal. The PS2's I had long ago were just ok and the Alpin PA4 I had were good in snow but similar to what you noticed...too hard and uncomfortable on dry winter roads no matter the pressure. But the PSS in my experiences has been simply phenomenal.
FWIW I run Continental winter performance tires and they have also been very good and had DWS on my old Mazda so you can't really go wrong with Conti either.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have almost 19k miles on the original P Zeros and am considering Michelin Pilot Sport /AS3. I'm in the north east so driving below 45 degrees will be happening as well as snow. Anyone have experience with these tires? I had them on my CTS-V but that car if the forecast was snow it would slide...it was a rear wheel drive sled but I loved the car! I know Blizzaks are amazing but I'm not interested in switching tires for winter and summer.

Last edited by MRANT212; 08-30-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm running the Conti extreme contact DW. I love these tires. I have always been a Michelin guy. Got talked into these by my best friend and also car enthusiast. I could not be happier.

I run Michelin Alpin PA4s in winter and they rock also.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
The Continental DWS and DWS 06 draw rave reviews as all-season tires. I am thinking of trying a set next time as I will be getting tires in November and we do have cold temperatures in the mountains. They are relatively cheap and have a UTQG rating of 560, where our summer performance tires are in the 240-300 range (DOT track tires are ~140).

I am sure the handling will be a little less precise, but more fun for the quattro and traction management system to sort out...
I have had both the original DWS on a B8 A4 and now the DWS 06 on my A6. The newer 06 is a significant improvement over the older model - far better, crisper handling with equal comfort and bad weather traction.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on the combo of - Summer: Michelin PSS, & Winter: Conti DWS. I have run that combo on my last three cars and I love them both. I did run only the DWS on an A8 year round and they are a very respectable tire for summer too if you don't want to change twice a year. I have a second set of wheels for my Summers and run the DWS on the stock wheels.