S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2016 S6 - delivered

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Go123
Can you guys that have had the car for a little while now post a review, engine, tranny, throttle, suspension etc..., thanks
Engine: Angry when you're on it, quiet when you're not (even with Exhaust in Dynamic). As with the previous years, likely (a lot) more power than Audi claims.

Transmission: Lightning fast shifts but hesitant to drop a gear in D mode (trying to pass at 1200 RPM is an exercise in futility, regardless of what is under the hood). Drops as needed in S but also holds gears longer than I'd like. I've been leaving it in D and just using the paddles to downshift before I hit the gas to accelerate. I've been trying to confuse it by shifting down when my behavior would indicate I should be shifting up, and vice versa, and I've yet to generate any serious lag.

Suspension: Smooth on most roads, even with 20" wheels & Dynamic mode. Be mindful of the potholes though because you will feel them, both in the butt and the wallet.

Audio: My car has the Bose stereo. Aside from a lack of strong bass at higher volumes (say, over 20), the stereo sounds great. I've heard the B&O from a previous-year A6 and while it does sound better, it's not $5000 better. CarPlay will be nice if/when it gets added, if just because I listen to Spotify any time I'm in the car and that's one of the supported apps. I did find the function to update the MMI over air but it's, obviously, not showing any updates yet. I'm going to go click that button once a month or so, just to see if it brings anything down.

Night Vision: Neat, detects people & large animals when it's relatively cold and dark, doesn't if it's 75 degrees and dusk. Wish it turned on faster (there's a 5 second or so startup time).

Lane Departure: Annoying as all hell unless you're on the highway. Thankfully the button to turn it off is convenient.

Seats: The comfort seats are absolutely wonderful. With respect to the others that have ordered differently, I think it is a mistake to order anything but these. Since delivery I've had the opportunity to sit in the sport seats and mine back to back and the only thing the sport seats have over these are aesthetics & a savings of $2000 (which doesn't mean much at this price range). The comfort seats, properly adjusted, are more "sporty" than the sport seats due to the multitude of adjustment options. Given that you can't see the seats when sitting in them, well...

Color: I'm not sure what "pearl effect" is since we've had a grand total of one mildly-sunny day since I got the car, but the red with the black trim is stunning. I think the blue will look great with the black trim as well.

Fuel Economy: Meh. Better and worse than I expected. If I'm light on the go-pedal it does better than my 2006 Infiniti G35x on my drive to work (average of 5 days @ 19.1MPG, vs. low 16's). I actually beat my wife's BMW X3 xDrive35i home from the dealer (23.9MPG vs 22MPG). If I don't go light, well then I get 12 MPG.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Engine: Angry when you're on it, quiet when you're not (even with Exhaust in Dynamic). As with the previous years, likely (a lot) more power than Audi claims.

Transmission: Lightning fast shifts but hesitant to drop a gear in D mode (trying to pass at 1200 RPM is an exercise in futility, regardless of what is under the hood). Drops as needed in S but also holds gears longer than I'd like. I've been leaving it in D and just using the paddles to downshift before I hit the gas to accelerate. I've been trying to confuse it by shifting down when my behavior would indicate I should be shifting up, and vice versa, and I've yet to generate any serious lag.

Suspension: Smooth on most roads, even with 20" wheels & Dynamic mode. Be mindful of the potholes though because you will feel them, both in the butt and the wallet.

Audio: My car has the Bose stereo. Aside from a lack of strong bass at higher volumes (say, over 20), the stereo sounds great. I've heard the B&O from a previous-year A6 and while it does sound better, it's not $5000 better. CarPlay will be nice if/when it gets added, if just because I listen to Spotify any time I'm in the car and that's one of the supported apps. I did find the function to update the MMI over air but it's, obviously, not showing any updates yet. I'm going to go click that button once a month or so, just to see if it brings anything down.

Night Vision: Neat, detects people & large animals when it's relatively cold and dark, doesn't if it's 75 degrees and dusk. Wish it turned on faster (there's a 5 second or so startup time).

Lane Departure: Annoying as all hell unless you're on the highway. Thankfully the button to turn it off is convenient.

Seats: The comfort seats are absolutely wonderful. With respect to the others that have ordered differently, I think it is a mistake to order anything but these. Since delivery I've had the opportunity to sit in the sport seats and mine back to back and the only thing the sport seats have over these are aesthetics & a savings of $2000 (which doesn't mean much at this price range). The comfort seats, properly adjusted, are more "sporty" than the sport seats due to the multitude of adjustment options. Given that you can't see the seats when sitting in them, well...

Color: I'm not sure what "pearl effect" is since we've had a grand total of one mildly-sunny day since I got the car, but the red with the black trim is stunning. I think the blue will look great with the black trim as well.

Fuel Economy: Meh. Better and worse than I expected. If I'm light on the go-pedal it does better than my 2006 Infiniti G35x on my drive to work (average of 5 days @ 19.1MPG, vs. low 16's). I actually beat my wife's BMW X3 xDrive35i home from the dealer (23.9MPG vs 22MPG). If I don't go light, well then I get 12 MPG.
Thanks Jason, how is the cruise control/stop and go?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I echo Jason's review above regarding the engine and transmission. I also agree that I would not consider the sport seats after having the comfort seats. Its by far the best car seat I've ever been in. I haven't driven the car on a long enough drive to use the cruise yet so I can't comment on that. I've mentioned in the other thread that I don't like the start/stop so I have it turned off. I tend to go from brake to gas pretty quickly if I'm at a red light and there have been a few times that I was pushing on the accelerator a little harder than I should have when the engine started and with this car's power it rocketed forward much faster than I was expecting. I could teach myself to go from brake to gas differently but with the type of driving I do I don't think it would save much in fuel economy for me anyway so I just keep the disable button on.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Go123
Thanks Jason, how is the cruise control/stop and go?
One day last week I drove from my office to my home, about 7 miles, using nothing but the cruise. No brakes, no accelerator. It was a bit scary at first, and I was somewhat concerned that at one point I'd come to a stop sign without a car in front of me, but I made it.

Seriously though, like all cruise control, it's horrible for your fuel economy. Unless you're running on a long and flat (or down hill) road and are worried that someone will pull in front of you and slam on the brakes, I'd probably not use it except as a gimmick to scare passengers, just like letting the lane assist steer the car around a mild curve.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I do love the top view camera system that comes with the Drivers Assist package. I think its the only feature of that package I'll be likely to use regularly.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by neddy191
I do love the top view camera system that comes with the Drivers Assist package. I think its the only feature of that package I'll be likely to use regularly.
Oh, yeah, I do like the surround view cameras. The resolution is low but it gets the job done (unless it's raining, then the front view doesn't work).
Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Offset

[QUOTE=648GIII;24674638]Here are the 3 pictures:[/QUOT
Hi,can you please tell me the offset on these wheels.Thanks
Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=TTWINCOVES;24674894]
Originally Posted by 648GIII
Here are the 3 pictures:[/QUOT
Hi,can you please tell me the offset on these wheels.Thanks
They are 20x9 with a 37mm offset which puts the outside of the rim further out by about 4.3 mm over the stock 20x8.5 35mm offset wheels. That's why I went with the 255/35/20 tires which show a 8.5-10 in. rim width range with a measured rim width of 9 inches on the Michelin site at Tire Rack. I thought about putting 265/35/20 tires on but that would have added an additional 5mm to the outside.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just picked up my S6. This thing is a BEAST! I am coming off a S-line A6 and the power differential is night and day.

Mythos Black
Packages:
-Prestige
-Black Optic
-S6 Sport
-Drivers Assist
-Comfort Seating
-Cold Weather

Dropping for Opti Coat tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joe0816
Just picked up my S6. This thing is a BEAST! I am coming off a S-line A6 and the power differential is night and day.

Mythos Black
Packages:
-Prestige
-Black Optic
-S6 Sport
-Drivers Assist
-Comfort Seating
-Cold Weather

Dropping for Opti Coat tomorrow.
Congratulations! pictures please

Quick Reply: 2016 S6 - delivered