S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2016 S6 option question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 S6 option question

My dealer is just finalizing my order on a 2016 S6. I placed the order a couple weeks ago, but he just called to say he's managed a dealer trade on an S6 that's been in the queue for a while but still can be configured to provide my options and colors. I had originally expected an August ETA - so things are looking up.

Before finalizing the order with the Audi Product Manager, he needed to confirm my steering wheel option selection. Apparently, on the S6, there's an option to take either a heated round steering wheel or a flat bottomed steering wheel. Both have the S6 logo on the wheel. Living in Canada, the heated wheel seems like a no brainer, however, the flat bottomed wheel gives it a sportier look and is unique to the S6. Tough decision. Would be curious to know what others have taken.

My S6 will be Glacier white with black optics, drivers assist, and HUD options (as far as I could tell, the only other option here is night vision, which I don't need).

I'd be interested to know whether anyone has purchased a tire/wheel package that you would recommend. The dealer only has one options for winter: Audi 19" winter wheels/rim package for $3000 (Pirelli Sottozero tires). Two problems: I've heard the Sottozero's don't have long tread life, and, I would like a darker colored rim (similar to the 20" wheel that comes with the black optics package).

Any suggestions for winter wheel / tire packages?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went back and forth on the steering wheel thing. The flat bottom wheel stands out as unique. However, when trying to decide I started paying attention to how I held my steering wheel currently. I noticed that if I am on a highway cruising along a lot of times I would just relax and hold my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (realizing then the flat bottom would be hard to hold that way).

Also you get the heated rear seats with the round heated steering wheel.

So after back and forth several times I went with the round.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The flat bottom wheel looks great and suits the sportiness of the S6, but I think the round wheel is more comfortable and smoother when moving in your hand. I am getting used to it but it is different when the flat part spins and you have to adjust your hands
Old 05-06-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Im a huge fan of the flat bottom wheel. It's the part of the car you touch the most and Audi makes a great wheel. High quality leather. Great touch points. Indentations are perfect.

That said, if you are in Canada I would also consider the benefits of a heated wheel.

I'm in St Louis...I have a heated wheel on my wife's car... I might see a benefit to a heated wheel 2 months of the year.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks folks for your replies. That made the decision easier. I've let the dealer know to go ahead with the heated round wheel.

Hoping to get a ballpark ETA today once the order hits the system. I'm assuming that because the dealer is talking directly to the Audi Product manager for my S6 order, this means it's a bit closer to build - but not sure on the process.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you aren't large, the flat bottom makes no sense as there is no good ergonomic reason for it. And I luvs the heated wheel on cold days.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

But it looks the business

That's why they call them options! I have held both - no bad decision here for sure.

Originally Posted by DD1546
If you aren't large, the flat bottom makes no sense as there is no good ergonomic reason for it. And I luvs the heated wheel on cold days.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the opportunity to test drive the flat bottomed wheel in an SQ5 today.. to my surprise I didn't like it.

I also drove a 2015 S6 with the stock round wheel, and I definitely preferred it.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

It looks too much like a flat tire to me.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

In Canada it makes more sense to have the heated steering wheel since you get like 13 months of winter.

That being said, Ive had the heated steering wheel on my past 3 S6's and I didnt use it as much as I did in the beginning. I really really wanted the thick flat bottom sexy steering wheel and now that its available I had to have it.

Quick Reply: 2016 S6 option question