S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

4 bent rims @ 5000 mile service!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 bent rims @ 5000 mile service!

I took my 2016 S6 in for the 5000 mile service last Wednesday. One of the things I mentioned to them was that the car was vibrating between 70-85 mph. I assumed it was a wheel balance or alignment issue.

Turns out ALL four of my wheels are out of round, with two of them particularly bad. They showed me videos of the wheels turning while up on the lift and it was pretty surprising how significant the wobble was.

Good news is that I bought the Tire and Wheel Warranty, so it should be covered.

Now, I know NJ roads are pretty bad, but I am surprised that the wheels have gotten so bad so quick, especially since I am almost always in comfort mode on the suspension.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Let us know if they cover all 4 wheel repairs and/or replacements. I'm almost sure when I bought my tire and wheel warranty the dealer told me if the tire holds "air" the wheel, even if it's bent or out of round that it's not covered under the warranty. I hope you are covered!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:36 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by tmiele
Let us know if they cover all 4 wheel repairs and/or replacements. I'm almost sure when I bought my tire and wheel warranty the dealer told me if the tire holds "air" the wheel, even if it's bent or out of round that it's not covered under the warranty. I hope you are covered!
Same thing I heard "... if the tire holds "air" ..." it is not covered. Hopefully there is some flexibility in that...

To the OP are they 19" or 20" ?
Old 08-24-2015, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rims bent

Originally Posted by gk1
Same thing I heard "... if the tire holds "air" ..." it is not covered. Hopefully there is some flexibility in that...

I bought the 5 year Allstate warranty from the dealer when I bought the car new. They repair all bent rims and any cosmetic damage. I have bent 4 19" and destroyed one plus the tire. I paid $1500 and am quite happy, in retrospect.

I think the rims are made from silly putty.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS. I am also in NJ - central NJ is really bad in terms of potholes!
Old 08-24-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tmiele
Originally Posted by gk1

The same company sells the same product to every Audi dealership, JM&A, and they are very adamant about telling us that it will cover the wheel and the tire either together or separately. I have had several customers that have bent wheels that have been replaced when the tire still held air.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1

They are 20" Wheels

I re-read the contract and it is not very clear on this issue. It states clearly that the wheel will not be *replaced* unless it cannot hold air, but doesnt say anything explicit about excluding repair using that criteria.

I bought the "gold option" which covers alloy wheel repair, but they refer to cosmetic and don't specifically state coverage for out of round wheels...

My appointment is on Wednesday - I will let you know what they say.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by djsiry
I bought the "gold option" which covers alloy wheel repair, but they refer to cosmetic and don't specifically state coverage for out of round wheels...

My appointment is on Wednesday - I will let you know what they say.
Never heard of Gold option. AFAIK, every dealership only sells the platinum coverage of everything. This way nobody can complain that something isnt covered. Regardless, there is no cosmetic coverage of the road hazard protection. That would be the Ding Shield Protection.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

is it just me, or Audi quality is going downhill? bad/soft paint, bad windshields, bad wheels& warranties? stance destroyed with higher ride height (doesn't look as good as
Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wonder if the 20" wheels on the 2016 A6's will experience this problem as well. I opted for this package because I loved the look, but the roads in the Central Dallas area can be brutal and the lo-pro on the Pirelli P-Zero's don't seem to provide much protection from the car-swallowing potholes I have seen and try to avoid at all costs.

Quick Reply: 4 bent rims @ 5000 mile service!