S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

4 bent rims @ 5000 mile service!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Do you prefer the look mainly? Or do you believe 19" wheels would outperform 18"s on an otherwise equivalent A6 or S6 at the track (same brand wheels, tires, same car)?
Again, I believe it's not so much the size of the wheel by itself but the wheel and tire combo. Assuming the tire/wheel overall diameter is the same with either size wheel, having a larger wheel with a lower tire profile with less sidewall flex and roll should outperform a smaller wheel with a tire having a taller profile sidewall.

So, yes, I prefer a 19" over an 18" wheel for the look on the A6 but primarily for the performance and the best match to the sport suspension. The appearance is a bonus.

Now, if I spent a lot of time driving in deep snow (I don't), that's a different story. A smaller. narrower wheel with a dedicated higher profile snow tire, I think would be a necessity. I have my wife's allroad for that rare occasion when I absolutely have to get out in deeper snow - my A6 stays warm in our garage.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget that the brakes on the S6/7 preclude use of wheels any smaller than 19".
Old 08-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Don't forget that the brakes on the S6/7 preclude use of wheels any smaller than 19".
Interesting. Good point!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update

3 bent wheels were fixed under the contract. The fourth wheel was too bent to be fixed so it requires replacement. Also covered under the contract but my service associate complained about the insurance company requiring photos and making them jump through hoops.

Bottom line is its all covered so my purchase of this contract has already paid off with 3 winters to go...
Old 08-28-2015, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Are there any limitations or exclusions to the contract, i.e. limits to how many wheels will be covered, deductibles, etc?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Are there any limitations or exclusions to the contract, i.e. limits to how many wheels will be covered, deductibles, etc?
I've read the contract several times and I don't see a cap other than the term of the contract. There are a lot of specific items excluded from coverage and there are differences between certain options (like the "Gold Option" for cosmetic damage to alloy wheels)

I've attached a scan of the contracts via a google drive link. I hope it works.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad to hear everything is covered for you money wise - having said that, I'm sure it's still a big pain in the a.. to go through the hassle of getting these wheels fixed and the lost of your time and use of the car.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tmiele
Glad to hear everything is covered for you money wise - having said that, I'm sure it's still a big pain in the a.. to go through the hassle of getting these wheels fixed and the lost of your time and use of the car.
Indeed. At the end of the day it will be 3 separate visits which is a major hassle.

I also find myself very tentative and concerned driving around these crappy roads since so much damage could be done in just 5000 miles of summer driving. I drive 15,000 miles a year!
Old 08-29-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Me too! Sorry to say it, but you took a little fun out of me when I drive my S6 these days. Crappy roads all over - and it seems like they never fix them properly - just patch over patch!

In between some Audi S cars I bought a 911 C4 in 2004. I blew a tire within a month and thats's when I got introduced to the tire & wheel insurance. The dealer let me buy into it with that first replacement tire. The insurance also paid out for a few more tires and wheels, so it was a great deal for me on that car. When I came back to Audi (07 S6 and then a 10 S5) I bought the insurance for both cars and used it just one for some cosmetic repair on one wheel as the Audi 19" wheels have been trouble free for 60K miles of Chicagoland roads and many trips out East (and I will agree with you about NJ and NY crappy roads). I have the tire & wheel insurance on my new to me 14 S6, but would hate to get stuck with a bent wheel on a road trip.

Also thinking about 19" wheels w/ all-seasons instead of snows so I could keep them on from early Nov. through the end of April or even May as they are always slow repairing the winter's potholes. In the past, I've always put the snows on late in Nov. and off by the first week in April. I guess I'll have to decide shortly what set to buy as it's going to be Sept. in a few days.