S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

A4 to S6 upgrade. What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Just curious, in your opinion, is the performance improvement between the 3.0T and the V8 4.0 noticeable.

Thanks.
Of course the 4.0T is a big step above the 3.0T. That's the biggest reason the S6 is special .
Old 03-13-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=bradaudi;24663779]
Originally Posted by ben_aip
Hi BradAudi,
I just PM'ed you[/QUOTE

Thanks for the response. I've sent a follow-up as well.

On another topic - how are you liking the Oolong grey compared to the Glacier white? I have the Ibis white today (on my A4) and, for the new S6, I'm considering either Oolong grey or Glacier white. Both of these colors are available on the in-stock S6's at my dealership and have black interiors. I would have preferred the black optics package, but unfortunately, this isn't available on the in-stock models. Black is also an option, but I think the effort to keep it clean would be excessive.
Heh Brad,
Just curious if you were able to work any better deal with that dealer on the MY2015 S6 or have you decided on the MY2016 instead?
In any case, you won't go wrong with either!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ben_aip;24665544]

Heh Brad,
Just curious if you were able to work any better deal with that dealer on the MY2015 S6 or have you decided on the MY2016 instead?
In any case, you won't go wrong with either!
Hi Ben - I haven't had a chance to get back and discuss the '15 S6 with the dealer. I also haven't driven it yet, so I'm planning to swing by the dealership tomorrow and do both. Since they ship the S6 with summer tires and the dealership won't put winter tires on it, there really hasn't been an opportunity until now to drive. We've had above freezing temps all week, so the streets should be safe for summer tires now.

Will let you know what I think after the drive.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=bradaudi;24665657]

Hi Ben - I haven't had a chance to get back and discuss the '15 S6 with the dealer. I also haven't driven it yet, so I'm planning to swing by the dealership tomorrow and do both. Since they ship the S6 with summer tires and the dealership won't put winter tires on it, there really hasn't been an opportunity until now to drive. We've had above freezing temps all week, so the streets should be safe for summer tires now.

Will let you know what I think after the drive.
I hate to rub it in Brad. But we've been having such a gorgeous early spring here on the west coast, I totally forgot you're in the prairies. Well, hope the weather warms up enough for you to go test out ones of those MY2015s. Report back please, and do go easy with those pre-run in summer tires if driving below 7deg C!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=ben_aip;24665848]

I hate to rub it in Brad. But we've been having such a gorgeous early spring here on the west coast, I totally forgot you're in the prairies. Well, hope the weather warms up enough for you to go test out ones of those MY2015s. Report back please, and do go easy with those pre-run in summer tires if driving below 7deg C!
Took the S6 for a test drive this morning - and yea, I was reasonably gentle. I was quite impressed with the power. It pulled strongly right off the line and had plenty of power left well beyond reasonable speed limits. What I was looking for in the test drive was any sign of lag throughout the rev band. I was happy to see that the S6 was capable of quick acceleration in any stop and go situation both when merging and corning in the city or when passing at highway speeds. Gear shifts were occasionally noticeable when driving aggressively, but in normal driving were smooth. In general, the 4.0T is an awesome engine.

The only concern I had with the S6 was some unusual engine noise. I noticed an odd humming noise coming from the engine, mostly at higher RPM. The noise was pretty steady at highway speeds (enough to be annoying on a long trip) but hardly noticeable in the city and disappeared at idle (although when revving the engine in park, it could be heard). It could have been the turbo spooling up, but given it was pretty steady that seemed unlikely. I mentioned this noise to the sales manager and he said he'd check it out. The car only had 174km on it, so hadn't been driven much - maybe it just needs some break in time - not sure.

I'd love to take this S6 home today but I'm still hung up on the fact that this (discounted) in-stock MY2015 includes about $5000 in options that I wouldn't have bought (driver's assistance package + night vision). These unnecessary options (for me) come close to eliminating any savings over a MY2016 ordered with the correct options.

Last edited by bradaudi; 03-14-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=bradaudi;24665859]

Took the S6 for a test drive this morning - and yea, I was reasonably gentle. I was quite impressed with the power. It pulled strongly right off the line and had plenty of power left well beyond reasonable speed limits. What I was looking for in the test drive was any sign of lag throughout the rev band. I was happy to see that the S6 was capable of quick acceleration in any stop and go situation both when merging and corning in the city or when passing at highway speeds. Gear shifts were occasionally noticeable when driving aggressively, but in normal driving were smooth. In general, the 4.0T is an awesome engine.

The only concern I had with the S6 was some unusual engine noise. I noticed an odd humming noise coming from the engine, mostly at higher RPM. The noise was pretty steady at highway speeds (enough to be annoying on a long trip) but hardly noticeable in the city and disappeared at idle (although when revving the engine in park, it could be heard). It could have been the turbo spooling up, but given it was pretty steady that seemed unlikely. I mentioned this noise to the sales manager and he said he'd check it out. The car only had 174km on it, so hadn't been driven much - maybe it just needs some break in time - not sure.

I'd love to take this S6 home today but I'm still hung up on the fact that this (discounted) in-stock MY2015 includes about $5000 in options that I wouldn't have bought (driver's assistance package + night vision). These unnecessary options (for me) come close to eliminating any savings over a MY2016 ordered with the correct options.
Unless you can't wait for a MY2016 order to come in, it seems like a no-brainer to custom order one for yourself. Just make sure you're in line for the 6% discount from ACNA.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=bradaudi;24665859]
Other than Night Vision, I do find all the other options in Diver's Assistance package very useful and beneficial. However in your case with this MY2015 unit, unless this dealer is willing to drop the price by another $4k to $5k, you're better off placing an order for a personalized MY2016. And let this manager know, if you are going to do so you'd be shopping the other Audi dealers as well for a better deal on a MY2016 car. Good luck Brad.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=ben_aip;24666054]

Other than Night Vision, I do find all the other options in Diver's Assistance package very useful and beneficial. However in your case with this MY2015 unit, unless this dealer is willing to drop the price by another $4k to $5k, you're better off placing an order for a personalized MY2016. And let this manager know, if you are going to do so you'd be shopping the other Audi dealers as well for a better deal on a MY2016 car. Good luck Brad.
Thanks Ben. I agree. I also checked a few other dealerships across Canada and there doesn't seem to be a vast selection of S6 2015's available. So with the price on the local MY15 S6 as high as it is, along with the option mismatch, ordering an MY16 seems like the way to go.

In talking to one of the other dealerships, who looked up the MY15 S6 I've been discussing locally, the salesman mentioned that the option packages have changed for the better on the MY16 models. For instance, to get heads-up display, required the driver's assistance package ($4400), while in MY16, the heads-up display can be purchased on it's own for $1500 (almost $3000 savings). Obviously, Audi learned that all customers weren't interested in paying the high cost of that entire driver's assistance package.

When talking to the other dealer, he also mentioned that the MY15 S6 I had been looking at included optional 20" wheels (a $1000 option). His comment was that by ordering a MY16 S6 with Black Optics Package (something I wanted), and by paying an additional $600, I would get both Black Optics (which I think looks great with Glacier white) as well as the upgraded 20" twin spoke wheels.

So, taking the MY15 is not looking attractive at this point.

Apparently, 4 month ETA for MY16 in Canada though. Aargh!

Last edited by bradaudi; 03-16-2015 at 04:52 PM.