S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

ACC brake wear/use

Old 10-17-2016, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm pretty sure ACC uses the rear brakes to maintain set speed and following vehicle distance if required. When activated, Presense front uses both front and rear bakes for emergency stopping.
Perhaps for very minimal speed adjustments, but not in general. The rear brakes are not very effective as the weight of the car shifts to the front. All Audis nowadays have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, which automatically applies the right amount of brakeforce to each wheel for every situation. It wouldn't make much sense for ACC to control the brakes outside of the EBD parameters.

ACC limits the rate of deceleration to 4m/s or something like that and if more is required it demands the driver to apply additional brake force.

Originally Posted by tenspeed
There is a warning in the owners manual about using cruise control "in the city, in stop and go traffic, on twisting roads and when road conditions are poor (such as ice, fog, gravel, heavy rain and hydroplaning) - risk of accident."
That's for very different reasons. Cruise control in general shouldn't be used in slippery conditions, because when the wheels start losing traction, cruise control gets confused, because the wheel speeds do not reconcile with the rate of acceleration anymore and then most systems start to accelerate and make hydroplanning etc. worse.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
ACC limits the rate of deceleration to 4m/s or something like that and if more is required it demands the driver to apply additional brake force.
Wouldn't Presense or brake guard take over anyway if you don't apply any additional brake force?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Go123
Wouldn't Presense or brake guard take over anyway if you don't apply any additional brake force?
Yes, it would, but even brake guard relies on the driver to assist for full braking.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, it would, but even brake guard relies on the driver to assist for full braking.
That's incorrect, at least on my 2013 A6. My manual states that the braking guard applies the brakes in stages up to full force if there is no intervention by the driver.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That's incorrect, at least on my 2013 A6. My manual states that the braking guard applies the brakes in stages up to full force if there is no intervention by the driver.
That's not what it says. This is what it says. I double checked the user manual for your model year. I know the system has evolved over the years, but the limits are still there.

- If you do not react to the acute warning, braking guard can brake with increasing force within the limits of the system. This reduces the vehicle speed in the event of a collision.
- The system can initiate maximum braking shortly before a collision (with footnote: this is not available in some countries, your guess is as good as mine which countries that is)

The key part here is "within the limits of the system" and full braking only shortly before a collision if available in your country. My point is full braking is not performed by braking guard until shortly before the collision. That's because the ABS pumps are not strong enough on their own at higher speeds. The main goal of braking guard is to reduce the driver's reaction time and start braking with partial force until the driver reacts. If there is enough space then it could bring the car to a full stop by applying full braking force near the end just before impact.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-17-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You originally wrote "...brake guard relies on the driver to assist for full braking". The second bullet you quoted supports what I wrote: braking guard will "initiate maximum braking shortly before a collision". Full force would be applied with no assistance by the driver. The pre-warning portion of the system does indicate to the driver that braking intervention should be done but the sinple answer is it does not "require" driver intervention for the brakes to engage with full force.

The "within limits of the system" would also be true if the driver himself applied the brakes with full force. Certainly, it would be preferable for a driver to apply the brakes when warned before braking guard is engaged but then there would be no need for the braking portion of the system if this were always the case. However, the purpose of the system is to first act as a warning and finally, as a braking back up for an inattentive or slow reacting driver in an emergency situation.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the car knows it needs to stop by giving the driver a heads up and has more stopping power than the driver (able to react quicker and brake harder), perhaps the programmers should have just let the AI prevent a collision ASAP whether the driver intervenes or not.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
There is a warning in the owners manual about using cruise control "in the city, in stop and go traffic, on twisting roads and when road conditions are poor (such as ice, fog, gravel, heavy rain and hydroplaning) - risk of accident."
Of course there is. They have to cover their ***. But then why does my ACC work exceptionally well in the city, stop and go traffic, and on twisty roads? I use it all the time. I havn't had the opportunity to drive in snow with my D4 but I did in my D3 and it was definitely applying the brakes on all 4 wheels. It's possible the system in the A6 is different but I find that highly unlikely.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As a side thought, I would think if braking guard were to activate on slippery roads, i.e. ice or snow, it's going to be way too late to avoid a collision. I seriously doubt the system would detect that there is a much longer stopping distance required in those conditions.