S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Advice on a possible acquisition of an S6...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on a possible acquisition of an S6...

… hi folks. Always admired the S6 (had two previous A6's), but love the canyons. We currently have an S4 and RS5. Last weekend pushed us to the breaking point with family commitments and the small back seat in the S4. Pretty good deals on S6's right now and we are trying to decide if the S6 should be added to the garage. My wife and I both charge the canyons on weekends and I am worried that the S6 is going to be just too big and heavy for that kind of fun. I should add, that either the S4 or RS5 will have be traded.

Anyone out there with an S6 have an opinion or experience with sport driving such a beast? We see a fellow out there regularly with an RS7 and he seems to do fine, but that car is just insane and too expensive for me… plus the sloping roof reduces rear headroom. The folks at Eurocode are all too happy with suggestions for upgrades - they suggest an A6 with brakes, exhaust and suspension help. However, the seats in the A6 offer no lateral support. I do wish Audi, like BMW, offered an M-Package for their cars with the seating, brakes and suspension sorted out. We are also considering a BMW 535 with such upgrades and a Maserati Ghibli (which are piling up on dealer lots with discounts - I am pretty sure I will be over that fetish in a couple of days)…

BTW - the one I have my eye on is Florrett Silver with the Arras Red interior, the Black Optic and Sport Package - very tidy and under $80K before discounts and loyalty of over $6K.

Thanks in advance

Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 05-12-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, there is no getting around the fact that it is a fairly large (and heavy) car. No way that you will get the same satisfaction of clean lines in the twisties. I happened to switch from a B8.5 S4 to a 987.2 Boxster S to the S6 so I can empathize.

Now if you talk to adrenaline... it can be fairly exhilarating in its own fashion. Brute force on the straights and the air suspension does a "fair" job in the corners. And pushing in said corners has its own type of "excitement"

Its going to come down to how painful the rest of your life is without the space... is it once in a while or is it continuous? Don't let the emotion of the moment cloud the right decision.

If you can imagine, I might be switching over to an F150... long story lol.

Good Luck with the decision and take your time. Unfortunately, this is one of those decisions that a mistake can cost you a fair chunk of $$$.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed with the above. I went from B8.5 A4 S Line with sport package to the '16 S6. The weight of the car is very present, and the air suspension, although fantastic for what it does, is only ok at dealing with hard cornering.

I will say that I believe the rubbish Pirelli tires that came on the car are part of the problem, so I'm eagerly awaiting the day when they're finished so I can switch to Michelin Pilot Super Sports and see if that makes an improvement. I'm expecting they will.

Ultimately, the S6 is an incredible car in all respects, but it does give a bit in the hard corner-carving department to provide other amenities. Only you can decide if the compromise is "worth it".

My best recommendation: Take one for a test drive and hit some corners in it to see if it will satisfy your canyon-carving predilections.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks so much...

… I am impressed at the car for what it is… your honest appraisals are so helpful. I will keep you posted.

In the end, I am blessed to have a wife who loves the canyons as well :-)

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 05-30-2016, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,
I'm in L.A. too. Bought a new 2016 A6 3.0 S-Line in January, coming from a significantly modded A3 manual trans. The way it was working out was that the A3 was my 'fun car' and the A6 was my 'luxury car.' The latter just seemed so big and heavy. I knewe I needed to do something, so I brought to Eurocode this weekend and had their swaybars and endlinks installed. That made a lot of difference. Spent three hours this afternoon in the canyons above Malibu.... wow, so much fun. The car is now so flat in the corners, almost tossable. The weight transfers from rapid zig-zag turns are much more stable and undramatic now. In Sport mode, with dynamic settings (and Pirelli P-Zero summers), the car is fast, powerful up the hills, and maintains a gratifyingly high rev going down hills without upshifting. I could wish for a better exhaust note, but that mod could be for another day. I also bought the Alu Kreuz, which is back ordered, but that will add even more structural rigidity and sharpness in handling. A6 3.0 Sport with suspension mods is the poor man's S6.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is not a sports car and never will be. It is a very fast and smooth GT car. One there is no such thing as a 4 door sports car. Get over it. It doesn't exit. There are only compromises. That being said this car will click off fast miles with any other car build. Driver ability is the only limiting factor. Will it be as satisfying racing through the canyons as say Cayman? No! It is not possible with 4 doors and all that weight. Can the S6 show its tail lights to a Cayman in the canyons? Absolutely, dependent on the the drivers ability and *****. Plenty of grip and passing power. I have complained about the weight and the handling while pushing hard through a 110 mph sweeper. Then rethinking my thought process as 95% of the cars on the road would not be even close to 110 in this corner. 2. The car is just so dam smooth even at this speed on not so good of a road. 3. It is not that bad. Is it as rewarding as when I toss my Maserati into a corner and use the throttle to control the *** ends slide while arcing the corner. No and it never will be. The computers have all seen to that. Run hard in a car for 1500 miles straight. The big Audi eats it alive. I shattered my old record with the Audi and I felt fresh and good when got out of the car 17 hours later.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the insight...

… my wife and I have been thinking this through. This weekend we did about 300 miles of canyons north of Ojai and swapped back and forth. That may be the solution, the S6 as the "big" car and a two seater (funny you should mention the Cayman as Porsche is just blowing out the 2016's). The S6 will carry all of the stuff (including a spare for the "other car") and still be a gas to drive - just a different experience. My father in law is selling his Superformance Cobra and it would be nice raw menace to have for weekends - my wife really wants to get it, I am still on the fence as after thirty minutes in that car, I am cooked (even with ear plugs). Choices are wonderful…

A 2016 Daytona Grey S6 with minimal accessories has just arrived at Audi Pacific and we are on our way to drive it today… (Black Optic, S6 Sport Package), keeps the price in the upper 70's.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 05-30-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lectrolink
Hi,
I'm in L.A. too. Bought a new 2016 A6 3.0 S-Line in January, coming from a significantly modded A3 manual trans. The way it was working out was that the A3 was my 'fun car' and the A6 was my 'luxury car.' The latter just seemed so big and heavy. I knewe I needed to do something, so I brought to Eurocode this weekend and had their swaybars and endlinks installed. That made a lot of difference. Spent three hours this afternoon in the canyons above Malibu.... wow, so much fun. The car is now so flat in the corners, almost tossable. The weight transfers from rapid zig-zag turns are much more stable and undramatic now. In Sport mode, with dynamic settings (and Pirelli P-Zero summers), the car is fast, powerful up the hills, and maintains a gratifyingly high rev going down hills without upshifting. I could wish for a better exhaust note, but that mod could be for another day. I also bought the Alu Kreuz, which is back ordered, but that will add even more structural rigidity and sharpness in handling. A6 3.0 Sport with suspension mods is the poor man's S6.
My experience with Eurocode has been great - they know the cars and will help out with what will work in your budget. I actually like the A6 the best as it is lighter and all steel suspension. For this year, they have added a "Competition Package" that fits the sport seats. Send me an email - you should join us for a sunday drive. This week, the drive was saturday as we had Monaco/Indy/Coca Cola 600 to do on Sunday (my Superbowl). The drives are fun, low pressure - early morning - then breakfast/lunch and home…

Eric
Old 05-30-2016, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
… (funny you should mention the Cayman as Porsche is just blowing out the 2016's).
Get one with a normally-aspirated flat-six while you still can.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by eric strauss
...A 2016 Daytona Grey S6 with minimal accessories has just arrived at Audi Pacific and we are on our way to drive it today…
And?

Quick Reply: Advice on a possible acquisition of an S6...