S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Another high pressure fuel line leak

Old 09-21-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
link fixed. That's not a great place to have a leak, that near the hot hot exhaust..
I for one am getting a mini fire extinguisher to carry in my car until this is addressed. The problem spot is easily accessible and easily addressed. I'm curious to learn about the scope of the issue though: some vins or all vins etc.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd imagine it affects all 2013's, likely 2014's unless they already know about it and took corrective measures, and if that was the case there would have been a campaign/recall notice to those that were affected.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ///M Traitor
I for one am getting a mini fire extinguisher to carry in my car until this is addressed. The problem spot is easily accessible and easily addressed. I'm curious to learn about the scope of the issue though: some vins or all vins etc.
Already got a car extinguisher. Not cool when I start up my car everytime and wait to smell gas.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I for one am getting a mini fire extinguisher to carry in my car until this is addressed.
Are you going to open the hood if there is a gasoline fire? I wouldn't.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Are you going to open the hood if there is a gasoline fire? I wouldn't.
**** yes... Unless the flames are lapping out of the front grill and I can't release the latch. Actually, I'll put some welding gloves in my car too LOL.

I have too much money in after sale items to let it burn until totaled
Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

**** yes... Unless the flames are lapping out of the front grill and I can't release the latch. Actually, I'll put some welding gloves in my car too LOL.

I have too much money in after sale items to let it burn until totaled
I think tenspeed's point is that combustion needs fuel and oxygen. A fuel leak provides the fuel but opening the hood will increase the available air by several orders of magnitude. Better to spray the extinguisher through the grill.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well in that case, same answer lol. There is plenty of air under the hood.. Do you think a fire will smother itself if the hood is left closed? HTF would a cold air intake work then? Just sayin....
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well in that case, same answer lol. There is plenty of air under the hood.. Do you think a fire will smother itself if the hood is left closed? HTF would a cold air intake work then? Just sayin....
It is the same reason why the fire department typically doesn't want you opening a window whenever you are inside a burning building. Hopefully you never find yourself in that situation, but just know if you go to open the hood with a car fire, that it could cause a significant flame up.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

We can agree to disagree then

The first thing the fire department does in a house fire is to break all windows and cut holes in the roof.

If you were in a burning building being consumed by thick smoke, you bet you should break a window to breath air.

Are you guys saying the CAR would be better off leaving the hood closed in case of an engine compartment fire? And to try to spray the fire extinguisher through the front grill or something like that? The radiator would surely impede the chemicals in the extinguisher.

I'm afraid you must open the hood to effectively use an extinguisher. Agreed?

Anyway, hopefully his is all moot and no cars catch fire...

Last edited by ///M Traitor; 09-22-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I think tenspeed's point is that combustion needs fuel and oxygen. A fuel leak provides the fuel but opening the hood will increase the available air by several orders of magnitude. Better to spray the extinguisher through the grill.
I don't know how effective a extinguisher through the grill would be. Better than nothing, I suppose.

As soon as the hood release is pulled, the hood raises to the safety latch. Fire and smoke will start rolling out around the edges. Without gloves and a coat, I wouldn't try to open it any further. The extinguisher could be squirted through the opening. Aim it toward the firewall on the passenger side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another high pressure fuel line leak