S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Any advice on shipping my S6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice on shipping my S6?

I am about to sign the papers on a CPO'd 2013 S6 with 10,000 miles. I need to have it shipped well over 1,000 miles. I am looking for advice on what to watch out for/be careful of, how to find a trusty transport company (recommendations appreciated), and whether to have it on an open trailer or enclosed. I can't wait to get this car and join this forum as a "dues paying" member.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Just get a one-way air ticket and drive it home yourself.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

It would be fun wouldn't it! Can't do it for a variety of reasons - mostly time related. Also, the cost of having it picked up ~$1000) vs. the airfare cost, my time, and the loss of value (2,000 miles * $0.30 per mile) make it not worth it. I am more wondering whether to pay the extra $350 to have it delivered in a covered trailer rather than an open one.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My wife used to own a SLK. While we were dating she moved and had the car shipped from Colorado to Florida. She had it shipped in an open air carrier and the company didn't do anything to protect the vehicles paint. Nothing happened to her car on that trip. But I think we all have seen these car carrier semi trucks rolling down the highway. The cars look pretty exposed to the elements and depending on where your car gets positioned it might be more exposed than others.

If the cost is only $350 to get the car to you in a covered trailer I would not hesitate and go that route. It wouldn't take much paint damage to create a situation where you would have to shovel out $350 to get the paint corrected and you would not have your car for a few days.

Just my $.02.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with point on the incremental cost for peace of mind. Allegedly, the carriers and transport brokers have insurance which would pay for any damage. I am dubious on how easy that is because of how insurance companies tend to make you fight to get a fair settlement. Wondering what people's experience was why I posted my question. It may be much ado about nothing and I can put the $350 towards a winter wheel/tire set, or the horror stories might make it not worth the risk.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds good...if you consider our experience w/ an open carrier then that is the way to go. Zero damage...the car was a bit dusty but not a bad experience at all. She paid $600 total.

She didn't ask me about covered vs non covered before she paid for this and was committed.

If it was my S6 I would go covered.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Couldn't you just add a car cover before they load it on an open carrier?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

My only experience with shipping a vehicle was when I purchased my 56 T-bird and I had it shipped back to my house in and enclosed trailer. It was a great experience and I had piece of mind that no damage from road debris would be done. If I was shipping my S6 2k miles I'd spend the extra $350 to have it on an enclosed trailer.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Couldn't you just add a car cover before they load it on an open carrier?
My guess is the carrier won't allow it. That cover would need to be secured front, back and middle since they don't fit very tight to begin with. They are designed for stationary use. That fabric would be slapping the paint down the highway for all those miles. Plus it would be a PITA for the driver to deal with removing it/ installing it as he takes cars on and off. For weight distribution reasons they need to move the cars as they are dropped off. Not often to they leave the entire load at one location.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

good observation. Too bad dealer couldn't just spray on the plastic film they deliver new cars with typically.

Quick Reply: Any advice on shipping my S6?