S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Anyone buy an extended warranty?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone buy an extended warranty?

I am thinking about this. I plan to keep my S6 for 6 years. 6yr/72000 mile warranty is $2500. Is it worth it? Opinions requested.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On most things I don't buy warranties. But, in this case, I talked to a few friends and decided to buy it. I got 7 year 70000 mi for 2900. I usually keep my cars for a long time and I don't put hi mileage on them. One bad thing after the four years is up and Ill wish I had it! It is a very complicated car..expensive to fix. Audi labor 140 per hour

Now if I get the tune and void drivetrain warranty, I may get them to refund me, because the drivetrain is where the expensive repairs are likely to occur. You can always get a prorated refund on it if you decide to change your mind. It is a good selling point as well, should you opt for no refund if you sell it.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I negotiated Audi Care into my deal but that was it. I don't plan to keep the car that long but if I do I can always buy the extended warranty later right? I do know one thing, don't buy anything until you know exactly what it covers and when.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have Geico insurance and added the optional Mechanical Breakdown coverage as an alternative to an extended warranty. It costs me about $58 extra per 6 months on my policy, and covers anything the factory warranty covers for 7 years or 100,000 miles. There is a $250 deductible on any repairs covered. Maintenance & wear/tear items are not covered, just like any other warranty.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the extended but mine was $3,800. It is worth it to me for two reasons. 1 if something goes wrong it will be way more than $3,800 and 2 I usually trade cars every couple of years and will get some of it back. It is worth the piece of mind.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought an extended warranty for $2900 for the 7 year 70k coverage. I like to have a long love affair with my cars, and for my taste, there is just too much risk in owning these expensive highly complex cars beyond the original factory coverage without one.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MalibuCANE
I negotiated Audi Care into my deal but that was it. I don't plan to keep the car that long but if I do I can always buy the extended warranty later right? I do know one thing, don't buy anything until you know exactly what it covers and when.
You can buy Audi's extended warranty later but it will likely cost you twice as much than if you buy the coverage when the car is new. However, my understanding is that if you buy the coverage now at the lower rate and don't use the coverage (you sell/trade-in the car) Audi will cancel your coverage at your request and provide you with a prorated refund. Obviously there is no one right answer and you need to weigh the risks and costs associated with these choices. Your dealer should be able to provide you with the info you need so that you can make a decision that's right for you.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My wife just bought the extended warranty for her M5 from USAA which is Assurant. I looked at costs for my S6 and compared them to the Audi warranty. Not only was it cheaper but it covered a lot more including the expensive electronics like LED headlights and ACC. However, it was a lot more punitive with mods. Any changes to anything will void the entire warranty, related or not.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bummer that - I was starting to think about getting the USAA deal, but if they're going to deny me coverage because of a couple of minor mods like intake & exhaust (and wheels?), then I'll have to look elsewhere.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carnuts3
You can buy Audi's extended warranty later but it will likely cost you twice as much than if you buy the coverage when the car is new. However, my understanding is that if you buy the coverage now at the lower rate and don't use the coverage (you sell/trade-in the car) Audi will cancel your coverage at your request and provide you with a prorated refund. Obviously there is no one right answer and you need to weigh the risks and costs associated with these choices. Your dealer should be able to provide you with the info you need so that you can make a decision that's right for you.
My dealer tried to sell me a $7,000 service plan on my wife's 42 month lease. I don't trust my dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone buy an extended warranty?