S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Apple Car Play - safe to use 3rd party device?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apple Car Play - safe to use 3rd party device?

I want Apple Car Play on my brand new 2016 S6.

I called the Audi Tech number that came in the package with the car: 855-750-8324

They said "for now, only the 2017 Q7 will have car play. no guarantee that installing 3rd party device will not void new car warranty".

I "chatted" with the navtool.com website and they sent me this article:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...ly-conditioned

i'm no expert on this subject. does this carry any weight for an audi owner? unlike many in this forum, i do not want to do anything to the car that might void the warranty.

appreciate feedback.

ps.....i'll say one thing about the S6......this car is THIRSTY!

also, i just put on Continental DWS 06 tires for the winter.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Be advised they are soliciting for this device on the AW forums but the product supposedly won''t be available until Feb or later and they have so far reported scant details to posed questions from the members.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Be advised they are soliciting for this device on the AW forums but the product supposedly won''t be available until Feb or later and they have so far reported scant details to posed questions from the members.
I agree. And they are not the only group out there offering a 'work around' to get Apple Car Play on the vehicles. When you look at the numbers they are seeking to achieve the major discounts I think they are out of touch with the forum membership and how group buys typically work and how many people sign up.

For me this is a wait and see.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

On their sign up page I've reminded our members, particularly the newer ones, not to send any money to any vendor until all the specs and facts are in and a product is actually available. Right now it's just vaporware.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with snagitseven. Be advised that your credit card company probably offers you protection against purchases that are not fulfilled, but in such case if you pre-order but are not charged until the item ships, you still would have an opportunity to dispute the charge. If however you were charged now and it doesn't ship until later, you'd probably be outside the window you can dispute it from. It of course is possible the card company wouldn't accept that the other company didn't fulfill their commitments if you had incompatibility or other issues.

I'd say you might try the mirroring solution here unless cost is truly no object. I like the idea of CarPlay, but if it doesn't work for all apps at least for now, mirroring might be better. I'm sure a CarPlay experience would be better since you could use the car controls.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The vendor is not not asking for a credit card at this time, only to sign up for a "pre-order". My post was to note that as it stands now, the product is still vaporware with scant available info and that "signing up" should not be a commitment to buy, only to express interest. If at at some point the vendor requires a deposit or payment, one should be wary of doing so until all the facts are in and the product is ready to ship.

IMO, $600 is a lot of money for a device of this type especially as other similar products are introduced. Also, I agree that as of right now, Car Play has limited functionality. And we still have no idea how this device will coexist with the current MMI operation. Does it replace it or can both be available? Still too many unanswered questions at this point.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound advice, snagitseven. I'm interested in the product if it works as advertised, but I definitely want to hear from a third party (other customer, or preferably AudiWorld member) that it works as they say it will.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, they just pulled the Air Play "offer". Waste of time but just as well.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't see the AirPlay one. AirPlay video/audio would be nice if cheap enough for sure, especially if it comes through as digital. The analog mirroring is nice and cheap. If only Audi offered a HDMI AMI cable!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would't it be great if Audi offered a software update for the MMI and we could just have it without dealing with dongles and other 3rd parties, etc?

Forbes Welcome

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play - safe to use 3rd party device?