S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

APR S6 Tune Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APR S6 Tune Update

I had the updated software flashed to my ECU yesterday. The update was free but, as APR's reps have stated on this forum, the shops can charge whatever they can get away with for labor. NGP in Lorton charged for labor but the difference in the car was well worth it.

The butt-dyno indicates a marked increase in pull throughout the power band. You go from 60-100 with little fanfare and not too much pedal. It's gonna take a little more attention to the speedo to keep from getting tickets. Very happy with the tune. I have the Valet, 93, 100, and Stock modes. I was going to try out stock for ****s and giggles but I see no reason to dumb down the performance when the 93 tune is soooo much fun. Go get yourself some more performance!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Had an opportunity to drive 1.1 the other day as well. Noticeable increase in power. From the passenger seat, the acceleration is brutal. From the driver's seat, it's "here we go" fast, but feels very linear. My thought at the time was, "I'm barely on the pedal and it feels like there's a lot more available based on the little pressure I'm applying." The downshifts in S mode are pretty nice, but 3-2 is still jarring, and in fact, a little too much so at times. If this is essentially stock or slightly more than stock RS power, it's an incredible value when you consider the difference in price from S6 to RS7. While I do think it's worth it, I'm not a fan of how much NGP charges to flash back to stock for servicing. Something like $110 each time, so plan on an annual or more cost of $200 on top of the price of the tune and initial installation of the tune. APR needs to figure out a way to allow their customers to update and flash back and forth via their homes. Even if they limit that capability to post-dealer purchase, I bet most people here would welcome the ability to do so. To NGP's credit, the car sits in their bay while this is being done and presumably occupies the time of at least 1 tech, but $110 is ridiculous.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, my local APR dealer charges me $30-something for a flash = roughly 20 minutes of labor.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone confirm if the flash to stock actually prevents a TD1 flag on you car? I am specifically not pursuing a tune because of this risk. I thought some hardware needed to be worked for this tune and it can be visually detected and flagged by an experienced service person.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

No way, once flashed the TD1 flag is there.

Originally Posted by txgriz
Can anyone confirm if the flash to stock actually prevents a TD1 flag on you car? I am specifically not pursuing a tune because of this risk. I thought some hardware needed to be worked for this tune and it can be visually detected and flagged by an experienced service person.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Harsany
No way, once flashed the TD1 flag is there.
This is not what is being said in other places. My understanding is that when they flash you back to stock they put exactly what was in there before and it resets the flash counter. When Audi plugs in to your car it looks like it did the last time it was plugged in.

One other way they could tell is if they were to check the tranny computer (I think thats what was said) and see a history of high torque numbers that have been generated but that does not happen as a regular matter of course.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thelionsden
This is not what is being said in other places. My understanding is that when they flash you back to stock they put exactly what was in there before and it resets the flash counter. When Audi plugs in to your car it looks like it did the last time it was plugged in.

One other way they could tell is if they were to check the tranny computer (I think thats what was said) and see a history of high torque numbers that have been generated but that does not happen as a regular matter of course.
This is correct. They may be able to tell it was flashed (which also appears as being reset), but they cannot prove you had a tune... thus can't TD1 your car.

The APR rep I spoke with has tuned hundreds, if not thousands of Audi's... and not one person that's had it flashed back to stock has had a TD1 issue to his knowledge.

The dealership computer looks at you ECU and compares the performance variables which it "expects" to see, to what's actually there... if they match, there's no issue. Obviously with a tune, these values don't match anymore, and a TD1 flag is given.