Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - Present

Ash Tray?

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274920
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33
Default Ash Tray?

Hi there,

Anyone know if there should be a ash tray in the front? I just bought a new S6 and see what looks like ashtrays in the back, but then just an empty box in the front. There is a Ashtray page in the owners manual, but mine is just an empty box, nothing like how it looks in the owners manual. It also shows a cigarette lighter next to the ashtray which is also missing. How do yours look? Is it missing a part?

Thanks.

-Dave
davideisenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 8,029
Default

In the U.S. at least, starting with the MY2013, in the C7s Audi did away with the ashtray/cig lighter/12v socket in lieu of the covered storage bin. A couple of folks back in the summer of 2012 reported they were able to specify the ashtray at order of a MY2013 but I haven't heard of that since. I suspect the manual is showing what may still be available in other locales.
As you've discovered, there is still a 12v socket in the center console and one on the back of the console facing the rear.
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274920
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33
Default

Hi there,

Any suggestion on if I can order the part, regardless of whether or not the cigarette lighter works? Do you think I would need a complete revision to the center console?
davideisenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 262333
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 155
Default Safety equipment

The empty box is part of the safety equipment! Replace it at your own risk.
DD1546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 451
 
Brooklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,292
Default

Part of the safety equipment? I too was stunned when, after picking up my A6 in FL and getting ready to make the drive back to DC, I opened the "storage" bin only to discover there was no 12v socket to plug in my detector.
__________________
l 2013 S6 l Oolong Gray/Black l Previous: 2013 C7 A6 3.0T; 2011 B8 S4 6MT l
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269143
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: san jose
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
Part of the safety equipment? I too was stunned when, after picking up my A6 in FL and getting ready to make the drive back to DC, I opened the "storage" bin only to discover there was no 12v socket to plug in my detector.
Been there, done that! Had to use the outlet in the center console and run a wire from the detector under the side of the transmission tunnel cover; or you could have a direct power supply installed by a stereo shop you trust.
rickymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274920
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33
Default Ashtray Installed!

Hi all,

So I went back to the Audi Dealer and showed them the cigarette lighter on a used A6 on the lot. They then ordered that same Ashtray by part number. I now have a non-working cigarette lighter, and a perfectly fitted ashtray. There was no wiring for it, and if I wanted them to wire it they would basically have to make their own connector for the harness and run in back. It took roughly 1.5-2 hours of labor. The part cost $200 (I am asking Audi for reimbursement, we'll see) + $160 for the labor. The only downside is the cigaratte lighter doesn't work, but now I no longer have to have a cupholder ashtray taking up one of the two center cupholders so that's good! Just to let you know, if you push the dealer hard enough they will order the actual ashtray, and it is possible, don't them sell you the Audi Cup Ash Tray.

Just figured I would share.

-Dave
davideisenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 8,029
Default

So, if understand correctly, you spent $360 (with no guarantee that AOA will reimburse) to replace the storage bin with an ashtray and still ended up with no working 12v outlet? Wow. Also, what is a "cup holder ashtray"? Mine does not have anything like that, just the covered two cup holders with the forward storage bin in lieu of an ashtray/12v outlet (thankfully). Maybe it's a Premium Plus thing?
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 451
 
Brooklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,292
Default

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I understand what you did there, unless you just really wanted an ashtray and didn't really care about the outlet one way or the other. I definitely don't get why you'd think Audi would reimburse you but good luck!
__________________
l 2013 S6 l Oolong Gray/Black l Previous: 2013 C7 A6 3.0T; 2011 B8 S4 6MT l
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 228095
 
tenspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Honeoye New York USA
Posts: 2,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Also, what is a "cup holder ashtray"?
__________________
As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274920
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
So, if understand correctly, you spent $360 (with no guarantee that AOA will reimburse) to replace the storage bin with an ashtray and still ended up with no working 12v outlet? Wow. Also, what is a "cup holder ashtray"? Mine does not have anything like that, just the covered two cup holders with the forward storage bin in lieu of an ashtray/12v outlet (thankfully). Maybe it's a Premium Plus thing?
I know it sounds crazy, but I like things to be a certain way. I loved my ashtray in my Mercedes years ago, missed out on it with my Infiniti which had no option for it, and I wanted it back. I used a cupholder ash tray I got at a cigar store for years, it had a tendency to get really nasty (condensation from glasses, spills from coffees, etc. I always hated it. The 12v outlet I could care less about, I just want a neat area for my ashtray. Are you a smoker?
davideisenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #12
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideisenva View Post
I know it sounds crazy, but I like things to be a certain way. I loved my ashtray in my Mercedes years ago, missed out on it with my Infiniti which had no option for it, and I wanted it back. I used a cupholder ash tray I got at a cigar store for years, it had a tendency to get really nasty (condensation from glasses, spills from coffees, etc. I always hated it. The 12v outlet I could care less about, I just want a neat area for my ashtray. Are you a smoker?
As a physician, I find smoking to be a most disgusting and self-destructive habit. The amount of illness I have seen that is related to smoking is staggering. If you eliminated smoking, there would be no health care crisis. There would be enough money to properly pay for everything to take care of people that didn't bring about their illnesses onto themselves. You should quit. Seriously. And your car will be worth more at resale also. So from this standpoint, I am glad the Audi doesn't have an ashtray. Maybe they have decided to philosophically not support this horribly self-destructive habit.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6
Cool car for wife: 2015 Audi S3

Last edited by Vijay; 01-19-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274920
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post
As a physician, I find smoking to be a most disgusting and self-destructive habit. The amount of illness I have seen that is related to smoking is staggering. If you eliminated smoking, there would be no health care crisis. There would be enough money to properly pay for everything to take care of people that didn't bring about their illnesses onto themselves. You should quit. Seriously. And your car will be worth more at resale also. So from this standpoint, I am glad the Audi doesn't have an ashtray. Maybe they have decided to philosophically not support this horribly self-destructive habit.
I am not quite sure why you are turning a post about getting an ashtray (for those of us that choose to smoke, and pay for our own health insurance) into a forum for your political opinions. But since you did, I feel the need to respond. To give you an idea, an environmentalist would argue they want Audi to stop making W12s, V8s, and V6s, and Audi should only make hybrid V4s, because you are ruining the environment. You are a disgrace for driving that 12-15mpg vehicle when you could be driving a 50mpg vehicle. Better yet have solar panels at your house to charge a Tesla. After all, you are destroying the environment for generations after us, causing extreme weather patterns, poor air quality leading to poor health, dying polar bears, and more. One would argue you sir have no right to speak due to your carelessness and damage you are doing to the environment simply by virtue of owning a non-hybrid, and a V8 at that. Do you not care about your fellow man?

While I do not believe in the environmentalist attack on V8s, I am arguing there is one in every bunch. You would not like someone bashing you for having a S6 so why do you feel it is ok to bash someone for getting an ash tray and proceed to tell them how to live their life? I know the health risks of smoking, I am fully aware that I am severely shortening my life expectancy, I pay for my own insurance, and I pay for my extra fee doctor to give me more specialized care. I am not asking anyone to pay for my habit, and honestly I agree with you on a part of your argument. If you are on government healthcare you should not be allowed to smoke. Just like we should have drug testing for people on welfare. If you are living off my dime, I should get to tell you what to do. I am privately insured, and will be the rest of my life unless they make private insurance illegal and force me onto a government plan. In the case that they do, I will not stop smoking because I was willing and able to pay for my choice, but had my choice forcibly taken away from me without my consent. However, even in the case that I am forced to participate in a government run health plan, I will likely be paying above and beyond (in taxes) what I am paying now to be privately insured on my own and for some reason I believe all S6 drivers would be in the same boat.
davideisenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideisenva View Post
I am not quite sure why you are turning a post about getting an ashtray (for those of us that choose to smoke, and pay for our own health insurance) into a forum for your political opinions. But since you did, I feel the need to respond. To give you an idea, an environmentalist would argue they want Audi to stop making W12s, V8s, and V6s, and Audi should only make hybrid V4s, because you are ruining the environment. You are a disgrace for driving that 12-15mpg vehicle when you could be driving a 50mpg vehicle. Better yet have solar panels at your house to charge a Tesla. After all, you are destroying the environment for generations after us, causing extreme weather patterns, poor air quality leading to poor health, dying polar bears, and more. One would argue you sir have no right to speak due to your carelessness and damage you are doing to the environment simply by virtue of owning a non-hybrid, and a V8 at that. Do you not care about your fellow man?

While I do not believe in the environmentalist attack on V8s, I am arguing there is one in every bunch. You would not like someone bashing you for having a S6 so why do you feel it is ok to bash someone for getting an ash tray and proceed to tell them how to live their life? I know the health risks of smoking, I am fully aware that I am severely shortening my life expectancy, I pay for my own insurance, and I pay for my extra fee doctor to give me more specialized care. I am not asking anyone to pay for my habit, and honestly I agree with you on a part of your argument. If you are on government healthcare you should not be allowed to smoke. Just like we should have drug testing for people on welfare. If you are living off my dime, I should get to tell you what to do. I am privately insured, and will be the rest of my life unless they make private insurance illegal and force me onto a government plan. In the case that they do, I will not stop smoking because I was willing and able to pay for my choice, but had my choice forcibly taken away from me without my consent. However, even in the case that I am forced to participate in a government run health plan, I will likely be paying above and beyond (in taxes) what I am paying now to be privately insured on my own and for some reason I believe all S6 drivers would be in the same boat.
I buy your argument in part. You are quite correct that as long as you know the risks and you are damaging your own body, then that is your choice. You would be surprised how many people don't fully appreciate the risks. Nevertheless, topic of smoking is highly politically charged from the outset.

However the concept of health insurance itself is basically pooling money from a larger population to take care of a subsegment of that population. I pay out of pocket about $3000/yr for family coverage and my employer subsidizes another $11,000 or so for the cost of my plan. I have hardly ever used anything out of that $14,000 per year, yet people with smoking related illnesses have probably chewed up significantly more than that $14,000. Smokers drive up insurance premiums for everybody in a plan due to the high cost of treating the significant morbidity for smoking related illnesses.

Just like driving my S6 costs me personally more in fuel and insurance premiums than driving a Honda Civic hybrid, likewise, maybe the health premiums shoulds be significantly higher for smokers. Or, maybe smoking related illnesses should not be covered by insurance, just like a blown motor shouldn't be covered by a warranty if you choose to flash your ECU.

Comparing smoking related illness to the environmental impact of various internal combustion engines is not a valid comparision on many different fronts. I won't even get into the environmental toxicity of large amounts of battery chemicals and plastics associated with some "alternative" fuel vehicles. However, there certainly is a difference between smoking 3-4 cigarettes a day and smoking 2 packs per day, just as there is a difference between a modern ULEV 2 rated vehicle, V8 or not, and a 1969 big block V8 with no emission controls.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6
Cool car for wife: 2015 Audi S3

Last edited by Vijay; 01-19-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #15
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 8,029
Default

Ok, let's please remember this is the AudiWorld S6 Forum. If there's to be a continuing discussion on the health hazards of smoking, health insurance or whether or not Somalia is a nice place to visit in the summertime, please feel free to start a thread in the Off Topic Discussion Forum.
Thanks.
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274920
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post

Comparing smoking related illness to the environmental impact of various internal combustion engines is not a valid comparision on many different fronts. I won't even get into the environmental toxicity of large amounts of battery chemicals and plastics associated with some "alternative" fuel vehicles. However, there certainly is a difference between smoking 3-4 cigarettes a day and smoking 2 packs per day, just as there is a difference between a modern ULEV 2 rated vehicle, V8 or not, and a 1969 big block V8 with no emission controls.
Vijay, I am simply comparing another social engineering argument (environmentalism) to yours (smoking). The environmental impact is up for debate, the battery chemicals are up for debate, all of the points you made are focusing on the debate of environmentalism. The merits of my argument are not in the content of the argument but in the form of the argument itself. You disagree with the argument that your Audi S6 causes more environmental problems than a hybrid. I agree with your argument, hence why I also drive one. That being said, there are many environmentalists that if they were on this forum looking at this topic, may very well argue that what you said is utterly false, and as I put it in my last post not caring about your fellow man and the future of multiple generations. Do I believe environmentalists are full of sh*t? Yes. But your argument plays along the same idea of social engineering, the idea that we must collectively as a society stop whatever the injustice is (smoking, the environment, obesity, drug abuse, alcoholism, whatever), and that we cannot have the free choice to understand and accept/deny those risks as individuals.
davideisenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274920
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Ok, let's please remember this is the AudiWorld S6 Forum. If there's to be a continuing discussion on the health hazards of smoking, health insurance or whether or not Somalia is a nice place to visit in the summertime, please feel free to start a thread in the Off Topic Discussion Forum.
Thanks.
Sorry, back on topic, didn't see your post until after I posted my last post.
davideisenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #18
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Ok, let's please remember this is the AudiWorld S6 Forum. If there's to be a continuing discussion on the health hazards of smoking, health insurance or whether or not Somalia is a nice place to visit in the summertime, please feel free to start a thread in the Off Topic Discussion Forum.
Thanks.
The issue here, however, is that a design element of the S6 (albeit a small one) is linked to a very significant health and social issue. How far you want to take a discussion from that starting point is an arbitrary decision. No different than if someone was arguing that the cup holders in the S6 aren't large enough to hold big gulp sodas. That could lead in turn to a discussion on obesity, etc. Or how about seat size and discrimination against obese people. The list goes on. These are all design elements of the car, but they have human implications. No harm in discussing. Just my opinion.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6
Cool car for wife: 2015 Audi S3

Last edited by Vijay; 01-19-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #19
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideisenva View Post
Vijay, I am simply comparing another social engineering argument (environmentalism) to yours (smoking). The environmental impact is up for debate, the battery chemicals are up for debate, all of the points you made are focusing on the debate of environmentalism. The merits of my argument are not in the content of the argument but in the form of the argument itself. You disagree with the argument that your Audi S6 causes more environmental problems than a hybrid. I agree with your argument, hence why I also drive one. That being said, there are many environmentalists that if they were on this forum looking at this topic, may very well argue that what you said is utterly false, and as I put it in my last post not caring about your fellow man and the future of multiple generations. Do I believe environmentalists are full of sh*t? Yes. But your argument plays along the same idea of social engineering, the idea that we must collectively as a society stop whatever the injustice is (smoking, the environment, obesity, drug abuse, alcoholism, whatever), and that we cannot have the free choice to understand and accept/deny those risks as individuals.

Well...sorry if I came across harsh. Due to my occupation and what I see, it is a topic that I am passionate about. It is fine to make choices with knowledge and understanding, but all too often, people don't know and don't understand.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6
Cool car for wife: 2015 Audi S3
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #20
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 8,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post
The issue here, however, is that a design element of the S6 (albeit a small one) is linked to a very significant health and social issue. How far you want to take a discussion from that starting point is an arbitrary decision. No different than if someone was arguing that the cup holders in the S6 aren't large enough to hold big gulp sodas. That could lead in turn to a discussion on obesity, etc. Or how about seat size and discrimination against obese people. The list goes on. These are all design elements of car, but they have human implications. No harm in discussing. Just my opinion.
Vijay, In my view this thread evolved a bit farther afield than the usual off topic wandering (and you initially did come on a bit strong). End of the day, I doubt having an ashtray or not included in the car's design or any opinions posted on this thread will change anyone's behavior one way or the other. If you guys want to continue the back and forth in an Audi enthusiast forum on the health hazards or individual rights of smokers, have at it. You're also a forum moderator and have certainly been around long enough to understand what's appropriate and permissible so I leave it to your best judgement.
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community