S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

As the OP on this thread…..I appreciate the input. Seems to be a fairly clearcut consensus to not renew. While the iPhone will provide any needed info not available on the Audi Nav system…..I'll (and you too) be careful about using the iPhone while driving. It's interesting to note that one can use Audi Connect while driving and that's not too safe either.
We do spend a great deal of time on the highway between Ohio, North Carolina and Florida. The nav system will still provide most of the information I need while underway. Starbucks, restaurants, hotels and other POI are readily available with the navigation. Anything else, I'll get from the iPhone. After reading your comments my decision is to not renew.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

In your unscientific poll, 5 still using connect, 4 not and there is consensus on the not side?

Obviously personal choice, but the continually up to date POI with connect vs aging fixed info without, clearly made the choice to keep connect for me. You can easily use MMI safely with voice without stopping, and with iPhone, you really need to have a passenger or stop to safely use. The pretty google satellite maps is just icing on the cake.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by weth
In your unscientific poll, 5 still using connect, 4 not and there is consensus on the not side?

Obviously personal choice, but the continually up to date POI with connect vs aging fixed info without, clearly made the choice to keep connect for me. You can easily use MMI safely with voice without stopping, and with iPhone, you really need to have a passenger or stop to safely use. The pretty google satellite maps is just icing on the cake.
Also, 9 responses does not make for accurate poll data. (Add me in for a positive and it's now gone up to 6 vs 4 or 60% in favor).
I find that AC offers far more usefulness as an integrated part of the car. The Google search is also worth the cost alone to me, as the built in POIs are very limited and static whereas the Google POIs are always dynamically updated with the same data as found on the Google Map website. With Voice Control and a bit of practice, your eyes almost never have to leave the road to find destinations and navigate to them, a decidedly safer alternative than futzing with the phone while driving.

In any case, I wouldn't make a decision on subscribing to Audi Connect based on polls or opinions. One must decide for themselves, based on their own situation, if the value is there or not.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone should work on a hack to tether MMI to our existing smartphone data plans. So sick of managing extra data plans for each device. And of course Audi being a German company had to go with crappy T-Mobile (although I admit they are improving slowly).
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Tough crowd here at AW. Consensus or not.....we can make a good argument for and/or against keeping AC active. Some of us simply must have the latest and greatest (or not so great) tech toys even knowing that they are duplicative.
I find Siri to be a quality hands free (mostly) alternative to voice command with AConnect. And the iPhone has 4G LTE most of the time. I find the T-Mobile service to be 2G speed more often than not. At highway speed I'm a couple of miles down the road waiting for a response.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had mine for only a few days, but I don't think I'll renew.
I think it's redundant, my phone does all of the same stuff, and its quite faster.

What I would really like if for the car to be the wifi client, not the server. Let it use my phone's hotspot.
Of course, I also think there should be an Audi app that connects over wifi or BT to the car and provides OBD data, speed, temps and such in real time. Also, realtime access to service records, THAT I'd pay for.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgfanjeff
I have had mine for only a few days, but I don't think I'll renew.
I think it's redundant, my phone does all of the same stuff, and its quite faster.

What I would really like if for the car to be the wifi client, not the server. Let it use my phone's hotspot.
Of course, I also think there should be an Audi app that connects over wifi or BT to the car and provides OBD data, speed, temps and such in real time. Also, realtime access to service records, THAT I'd pay for.
Absolutely AGREE! Couldn't have said it better.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After owning my S6 only 3 days I don't think I wll keep Audi Connect. Obviously I am a bit of a dinosuar in my thinking, but I find too much information to be a distraction while driving. The conventional Nav system, bluetooth, and voice control are all I really want or need. 99% of the time I pretty much know ahead of time everything I need to know about a trip anyway.

I am curious if anyone esle feels that there is too much tech in some cars today. It is a fact, that within the next decade there will be completely self driving cars. As a life-long driving enthusiast, that is not an appealing concept to me, but I am sure as the technology develops, there will come a time when cars piloted by humans will be the exception, not the norm.

Last edited by Vijay; 12-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

The ability to use your cell phone's data such as in the current Lexus lineup is superior to car based internet. My 4G Android phone with unlimited data from Verizon has all the capabilities I need without costing extra. I do love the Google Earth maps feature on our cars though. I think that's the only thing I'll miss.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

i renewed Sirius but not the T-Mobile. I prob would if I cant get a good deal on it, I got Sirius for 50% off so just did it. I wish our cars can link to Pandora like ive seen on my other friends Japanese cars.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect