S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

AWE vs. Milltek Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
I would consider MTM, ABT or Supersprint before either AWE or Milltek.
Just curious, why?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S4thrills
Just curious, why?
Build quality, looks, sound, and functionality.......

If you have ever seen any of these brands in person, especially MTM, you know that they are simply in a different league in terms of build quality. The finishwork on milltek products is crap. The least they could do is finish off the exhaust cans in the rear where they are visible.

The appearance of all the these brands is tastefully aggressive. They dont scream "add on", but definitely give the appearance of something special.

Thirdly, the sound, historically for all these brands has truly been perfect for the application. Perfectly sophisticated and yet perfectly aggressive when needed. Supersprint, also has 3 center pipe options depending on how aggressive you want the sound to be.

Both ABT and MTM retain full exhaust valve functionality. Both these companies have the most overall experience with Audi tuning over anyone else, and have ties to the factory engineering that no other tuner has.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RettlerT
ecpChris, Do you have the Magnaflow? If so what are your thoughts? By all means I'd consider it as well. What's the cost on their exhaust.

Also, I checked with AWE and 4 cyl. mode still works with their unit. From the websites, they are the only ones that make a HP/TQ increase statement.
I may have it soon and will let you know my thoughts. You can find it online for about 1375$ shipped, which is literally half the price of other offerings for our car. Sometimes, the companies that sell it will also have discounts on top of that. Lowest I have seen it offered was $12xx.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I may be wrong, but AWE includes downpipes and magnaflow is a cat-back. That alone justifies the price difference.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter

Follow-up question: Have you noticed any undesirable sounds when in 4-cylinder mode (drone, booming, etc.)?

Many thanks.
No drone or booming. Obviously you are at a very steady speed to enter 4 cyl mode and that is when the pipe is at its quietest.

I think the 4 cyl mode audio based noise cancellation may (hopefully) still be working as well.

At first it took some time to get used to the sound. Initially, the louder growl on takeoff bothered me because the car is so smooth and quiet stock. It quiets down once you reach a steady speed.

Also, I had it installed with my 5k and the updates altered the way the tranny was responding. Once I got used to all that my driving style adjusted so that now, I can make the pipe sound really good with the way I operate the gas pedal.

Also, the pipe broke in and sounded smoother/better with time. I have about 800 mi on it now, and the guy from AWE said it takes about 1000 mi to settle in. At this point, I really like it and would not want to go back to stock.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Definitely going AWE sooner than later. (Far more important to me than upgrading the audio sound system in the car.) I read a lot of reviews about the AWE system for the C7 S6 and it seems, from the reviews, it's exactly what I am looking for. Also seems they did their due diligence as far as design and development for the car and the typical S6 owner demographic. I am especially looking forward to a better engine/exhaust report when in manual shift mode.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thelionsden
No drone or booming. Obviously you are at a very steady speed to enter 4 cyl mode and that is when the pipe is at its quietest.

I think the 4 cyl mode audio based noise cancellation may (hopefully) still be working as well.

At first it took some time to get used to the sound. Initially, the louder growl on takeoff bothered me because the car is so smooth and quiet stock. It quiets down once you reach a steady speed.

Also, I had it installed with my 5k and the updates altered the way the tranny was responding. Once I got used to all that my driving style adjusted so that now, I can make the pipe sound really good with the way I operate the gas pedal.

Also, the pipe broke in and sounded smoother/better with time. I have about 800 mi on it now, and the guy from AWE said it takes about 1000 mi to settle in. At this point, I really like it and would not want to go back to stock.
When I first test drove the car I was like "wow this thing growls a lot..." Now that I've gotten used to it I'm now saying "man I wish it would growl some more..."

Thinking about going with the AWE exhaust as well...
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ellisinA4
I may be wrong, but AWE includes downpipes and magnaflow is a cat-back. That alone justifies the price difference.
Correct, our system includes resonated downpipes which help to settle things down at part-throttle.

I've seen a few posts asking about cylinder deactivation. I want to make it clear that installing an AWE Tuning system on your S6 does not deactivate this feature. Everything on the car will function as normal, aside from the exhaust valves.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Murray (12-28-2020)
Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ellisinA4
Stock system is resonated as well. magnaflow does not replace that.
the actual catted downpipes are not compromised on any system right now
Old 11-21-2013, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Milltek and I am thrilled with it. I also had my Audi dealer do the install.

Quick Reply: AWE vs. Milltek Exhaust