S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Brake Pad/ Rotars

Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad/ Rotars

My brake pad light recently came on. I called 2 dealerships about quotes. First dealer gave me a Pad replacement only for ~1300.00 and a Pad& Rotar replacement of ~2000.00. The second dealer said you can't do a pad only change, you can only do a pad+rotar change and they quoted me ~1500.00

How can dealer service be so far off? Can you do pad only, and not rotars, or is it simply a majority of the time you need to do both.

The dealership was adamant that you needed to do both, even though I had a seperate quote showing only pad replacement.

Is there any downside to having a local shop that specializes in Audi and BMW do the work?

Thanks for any advise.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles do you have on the current pads?

The rotors should be good for 2 sets of pads but to be sure you can measure the thickness. There's another thread on here with the min thickness required.

There's nothing complex about it, but brake jobs are the most ridiculously over-priced service at your local friendly stealer.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks... I have just under 31k miles. I feel like I am dealing with used car salesman... I have no trust . How can 2 dealership have completely conflicting answers.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

While you can replace just the pads, if the rotors are more than halfway worn, you will save labor later by changing both now.

You have several less expensive options:
1) buy the parts online and see if the dealer will install for just the labor charge
2) buy the parts online and have an indy shop in your area do the install
3) have an indy supply the parts and the labor
4) if you're good with tools and have the time, buy the parts online and change them yourself - there are several video guides

For example, I just purchased online Zimmerman rotors (probably what Audi sources) and Audi OEM pads front and rear for under $600 for my A6 (the S6 parts will be somewhat more). My dealer will do the install using my parts for $550 - total out of pocket $1150. I'm going with my dealer for the convenience and free loaner.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

The story i got was that if the pads are under 50% they will replace pads and rotors - seems to be an Audi enforced policy as 3 different dealers told me the same thing.

If the pads a rated at 50% or better, they will just do the pads.

And yes, the S6 pads and linings are different and more $$ than the A6 ones.

Highest number I heard for s6 Fronts and rotors was 2500 ish.... ( stealership wow!)

Still got acid reflux from that one...
Old 10-04-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

When brakes were included with AudiCare (or whatever they used to be called), the stealerships would never replace the rotors for your first brake job which took place around 30k-60k miles. Same can be said about Mercedes when they used to include free service with the purchase of a vehicle. Unless you track your car, 99% chance that your rotors are going to be good to go. Don't let the stealership rip you off! DIY or take to a Indy shop. Brake jobs are so easy, even a caveman can do it!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
When brakes were included with AudiCare (or whatever they used to be called), the stealerships would never replace the rotors for your first brake job which took place around 30k-60k miles. Same can be said about Mercedes when they used to include free service with the purchase of a vehicle. Unless you track your car, 99% chance that your rotors are going to be good to go. Don't let the stealership rip you off! DIY or take to a Indy shop. Brake jobs are so easy, even a caveman can do it!
My dealer said they could grind the lip on the rotor and just replace pads. I suppose that could be done but I would worry about balance. Ended up installing centric pads with Adams rotors. Then I traded it in for a 2016 model. Bad timing!!!
Old 10-07-2016, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by goliath1
My dealer said they could grind the lip on the rotor and just replace pads. I suppose that could be done but I would worry about balance. Ended up installing centric pads with Adams rotors. Then I traded it in for a 2016 model. Bad timing!!!
Don't feel bad. I've put new tires on my cars and "impulse" purchased on several occasions. It happens to the best of us. At least someone got a good deal!