S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

"Buyback" S6 on Ebay - should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Buyback" S6 on Ebay - should I be concerned?

I was close to making a decision on an A6 Prestige when this S6 on Ebay caught my eye:

Audi S6 Super Loaded MSRP $91K Bang Olufsen Innovation | eBay

I hadn't thought seriously about an S6 new as I just didn't want to spend that kind of money - but a mint used one might sway me over a new A6.

Would any of you be concerned about the fact that is car is noted as a manufacturer "buy back" (under some state's lemon law I assume) because of a "fuel leak".....I assume it was affected by the fuel leak recall and the owner was not satisfied with the solution? The govt. sight shows no open recalls on this VIN.

Thoughts? Has anyone heard of other owners getting Audi to buy back there cars because of this issue?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

caveat emptor. lemon it says....the last owner must have really been upset because to give a car back like this S6 it would have had to be really bad. I would ask why it was returned and ask for the service history before doing anything.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by msn_badger
I was close to making a decision on an A6 Prestige when this S6 on Ebay caught my eye:

Audi S6 Super Loaded MSRP $91K Bang Olufsen Innovation | eBay

I hadn't thought seriously about an S6 new as I just didn't want to spend that kind of money - but a mint used one might sway me over a new A6.

Would any of you be concerned about the fact that is car is noted as a manufacturer "buy back" (under some state's lemon law I assume) because of a "fuel leak".....I assume it was affected by the fuel leak recall and the owner was not satisfied with the solution? The govt. sight shows no open recalls on this VIN.

Thoughts? Has anyone heard of other owners getting Audi to buy back there cars because of this issue?
There's a 2013 S6 on Ebay at a starting bid of 45K with 59K buy it now. If it has a clean carfax and no paintwork, I'd be much more interested in it.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1
There's a 2013 S6 on Ebay at a starting bid of 45K with 59K buy it now. If it has a clean carfax and no paintwork, I'd be much more interested in it.
Saw that one! If it had the cold weather package it would be a contender. It doesn't have the B & O audi option but that wouldn't bother me.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by msn_badger

Saw that one! If it had the cold weather package it would be a contender. It doesn't have the B & O audi option but that wouldn't bother me.
Unless you are buy and driving it until it is no longer usable, I would avoid the lemon buyback unless you buy it at 50% of the going price for a non-lemon. You'll get killed at trade in time.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would avoid any lemon law buybacks for a few reasons:
1 - killed resale value due to dirty CarFax
2 - if the issue that led the car to be bought back couldn't be repaired for the original owner, what is the likelihood it is completely resolved now?
3 - related to #2 above, do you really want that question mark hanging over your head during your entire ownership?

I'd prefer a lemon law buyback to a recovered theft or a flood car, but would still avoid it.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:56 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Sad thing is it's only a few thousand under market value compared to some other 2013's since the S6 resale value is so poor. That being said it does have a lot of options and exclusive paint for that year. Generally if it is a dealer buyback I thought it has to be fixed to conform to safety spec, maybe they just didn't put up a fight and bought it back for the previous owner to make him happy and up-sell him into an RS7, S8, or R8...
Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
...maybe they just didn't put up a fight and bought it back for the previous owner to make him happy and up-sell him into an RS7, S8, or R8...
I wondered about that as well...given the exclusive paint I suspect it was somebody's very special S6. Would take a lot to get me to give up an ordered car like that...but at $90K list I would think the owner could have pretty much anything he wanted and perhaps an upsell is exactly what happened.

I'm looking into the service history but given what I have heard from forum members and my local dealer buying one of these is a long term proposition as resale is terrible. His asking price is not realistic but its just that.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would sell you my S6. It's a 2013 Ibis White/Lunar Silver every option except B&O and it's mint. No dings/accidents/scratches etc for $57K. Car has 8800 miles, just bought another P-car and this has to go.