S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Buying my S6 or S7 and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my S6 or S7 and a few questions

I finally got the chance to try out the standard sport seats on the S6/S7 (are they the same as the ones on the 2017 A6/A7 Competition trim?). The other two seat types cause me lots of pain. But the Sport Seats seem great. I'll have an S7 to drive for a full day before I buy. So I need to buy a car with the sport seats.

Not yet sure whether i go used (2013 or 2014) or a new 2017. Also I'm torn between the 6 and 7: The S6 caries three kids in the back, while the S7 has the extra cargo space -- I've got skies, lots of stuff and a 9 year old who is big and getting bigger by the moment. Any words of wisdom here?

I drive a lot in San Francisco (terrible city roads) and a lot on the Freeway (most weekends include a 200 miles each way trip to Tahoe, major highway, mostly in good condition, but significant snow in winter)

I'm looking for a few additional words of wisdom from this group before i buy:

1) I plan on going with 19" Wheels, summer and winter (summer tires in summer, performance snows in winter). Is there any reason to run the 20" except they are all the rage!!
2) How much real world difference is there between the HP in the 2013-2015 vs. the 2016/2017 engine?
3) I'm NOT planning on the sport suspension -- I'm worried about the San Francisco roads and don''t plan on running the car on a track -- In fact, I'm more worried about too rough ride quality in the city.
4) Is there any reason to consider a new A7 Competition? Are the sport seats in that car identical to the S6/S7 sport seats?
5) Is it true that there are no USB ports on the pre 2016 cars and that there is some kind of proprietary system to connect iPhones or android devices? Is that proprietary connector or is there something else that I need to be aware of (I am in software and am interested in the technology)

Thank you all for your thoughts -- I'm super excited to get back to an Audi!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. 20" look (waaay) better but 19" will probably be slightly more comfy and less chance of damage - keep in mind though that ride quality/comfort will mostly depend on the tires, not so much rim size
2. Technically the amount of Hp is the same, Audi just underrated the 13-15s
3. The sports package doesn't change the suspension, it adds the sports deferential, sports exhaust and dynamic steering which are all worth it IMO. Makes the car what it is, I wouldn't skip it and its standard on 13-15s
4. Yes
5. Yes, no USB on pre facelift
Old 01-03-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alcohen
I finally got the chance to try out the standard sport seats on the S6/S7 (are they the same as the ones on the 2017 A6/A7 Competition trim?). The other two seat types cause me lots of pain. But the Sport Seats seem great. I'll have an S7 to drive for a full day before I buy. So I need to buy a car with the sport seats.

Not yet sure whether i go used (2013 or 2014) or a new 2017. Also I'm torn between the 6 and 7: The S6 caries three kids in the back, while the S7 has the extra cargo space -- I've got skies, lots of stuff and a 9 year old who is big and getting bigger by the moment. Any words of wisdom here?

I drive a lot in San Francisco (terrible city roads) and a lot on the Freeway (most weekends include a 200 miles each way trip to Tahoe, major highway, mostly in good condition, but significant snow in winter)

I'm looking for a few additional words of wisdom from this group before i buy:

1) I plan on going with 19" Wheels, summer and winter (summer tires in summer, performance snows in winter). Is there any reason to run the 20" except they are all the rage!!
2) How much real world difference is there between the HP in the 2013-2015 vs. the 2016/2017 engine?
3) I'm NOT planning on the sport suspension -- I'm worried about the San Francisco roads and don''t plan on running the car on a track -- In fact, I'm more worried about too rough ride quality in the city.
4) Is there any reason to consider a new A7 Competition? Are the sport seats in that car identical to the S6/S7 sport seats?
5) Is it true that there are no USB ports on the pre 2016 cars and that there is some kind of proprietary system to connect iPhones or android devices? Is that proprietary connector or is there something else that I need to be aware of (I am in software and am interested in the technology)

Thank you all for your thoughts -- I'm super excited to get back to an Audi!

You'll Probably be happier with the 19's in the long run, but it's nice to have the 20's if you're going to switch out Summer/Winter tire & Wheels. The 20's are going to give you better handling and a sporty fun ride, but firm. And yes they look better.

I have to admit you might want to consider the S7 over the S6, I was going to compile a list of the actual differences aside from the obvious body style difference.