S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Cautionary note about variable redline

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
^^^ My philosophy is a little different: The metal bits, which expand at different rates, are still stabilizing, even when the coolant is long up to temp. I figure if the oil is still getting warmer, the block (which can hardly have a worse heat capacity) is too. Hence, no fun until the oil is warm (85-95C, depending upon ambient temps).
FWIW, this is what it says in my user manual. Note how it says the engine has reached operating temperature once the oil temp is above 140. I figured what works for the high strung RS5 engine, should be good for the lower revving 4.0 TT.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's possible that the metallurgy and machining of todays engines allow "zero wear" (from a perspective of mis-matched piston to bore sizing) at a block temperature of 60C. Knowing the little I do about metals and temp-related expansion, I doubt it. I think Audi is pandering to the way most owners drive, with the resulting wear causing some oil usage and reduced service life - luckily (for the manufacturer), the former is usually not warrantied and the latter occurring well beyond the warranty period.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Has anyone ever hit the reduced variable redline while the lights are lit? Does it actually cut throttle like the full redline should?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Has anyone ever hit the reduced variable redline while the lights are lit? Does it actually cut throttle like the full redline should?
I asked that question some time ago and someone chimed in that it does, with the authority of someone who's tried it. For the reasons noted above, I'll never purposely put it to the test.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend toward DeerHunter's mindset as well. Superswiss makes an excellent point about being sure to get oil up to temp - I just think that's best done with more moderate throttle and loads. I'm not the one to tell*, but I suspect even light throttle will get oil up to temp pretty quickly in most cases.

Definitely get the engine warmed up and then Katie-bar-the-door

*I'm told that I don't understand the meaning of "light throttle"
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
It's possible that the metallurgy and machining of todays engines allow "zero wear" (from a perspective of mis-matched piston to bore sizing) at a block temperature of 60C. Knowing the little I do about metals and temp-related expansion, I doubt it. I think Audi is pandering to the way most owners drive, with the resulting wear causing some oil usage and reduced service life - luckily (for the manufacturer), the former is usually not warrantied and the latter occurring well beyond the warranty period.
I guess I'm just not over-thinking it. It's not like I start redlining the moment it hits 140, but at the same time I don't make a ceremony out of warming up the engine. If I need to give it some beans to merge on the highway in the morning, I'm not losing sleep over that. If I shorten the service life so be it. So far I haven't had major engine issues with any of my cars and the highest mileage I racked up so far on a single car was just shy of 80,000. If there are any issues past that point, it's somebody else's problem now :-). We only live once. Might as well have as much fun with the car as possible.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the other item to consider is the temperature of the DSG. I've had vehicles in the past with a transmission fluid temperature gauge in the dash and the transmissions have always taken much longer to warm up than the engine oil.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
I think the other item to consider is the temperature of the DSG. I've had vehicles in the past with a transmission fluid temperature gauge in the dash and the transmissions have always taken much longer to warm up than the engine oil.
That's a good point. I'm always cringe when someone "warms up" their car in the driveway and then rockets away at full throttle. The engine may be warm, but the tranny, differential, wheel bearings, etc, sure ain't.