S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Death to Cylinder Deactivation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Pardon me for taking an interest in your thread. Apparently, you'd much prefer an echo chamber. Please carry on.
My apologies, DeerHunter... you came across a bit strong initially. I do understand your take and stance on deactivation. It's more of an aesthetic preference to go aftermarket exhaust in most cases, all about the glorious sound of the this wonderful v8 coming through. This is especially true in my case, the car is being modified and showcased as part of a local tune shop package offering, kinda joint venture thing. Hence the primary emphasis is on performance and sound, with a dash of practicality with the already ample refinement.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Transmission in S? If the transmission is not in S, then the engine is not in Dynamic mode, even if Dynamic is selected in Drive Select.
Correct, but in my case I'd like that level of override in manual (M) mode while in Dynamic MMI setting as well. Just can't get the downshift performance out of sport (S) mode on the DSG box.

Which brings up another good question... Anyone know if the APR TCM tune for the DSG has any affect on cyl deactivation? I've heard both ways, would like to get it from the horse's mouth if someone doesn't mind verifying.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Correct, but in my case I'd like that level of override in manual (M) mode while in Dynamic MMI setting as well. Just can't get the downshift performance out of sport (S) mode on the DSG box.
As long as you put the transmission in S before going to M.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
As long as you put the transmission in S before going to M.
Really? Swear I tried that multiple times a few wks ago... hmm, will have to try again on way home today. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Really? Swear I tried that multiple times a few wks ago... hmm, will have to try again on way home today. Thanks for the info.
I can't guarantee that this will disable cylinder deactivation as I don't have an S6 myself, but it is the only way to have the engine in Dynamic mode while in M. If the transmission is in D before you go to M, then the engine is not in Dynamic mode. M simply overrides the automatic shifting in your current mode. It's not a third mode or something, so D->M is different from S->M. In the latter you'll have the dynamic throttle map, faster clutch engagements and faster shifts, while with the former everything remains more relaxed and the engine is in Comfort/Auto mode.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:42 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

FWIW cylinder deactivation is still active in Full Dynamic mode S or M. It just may be less noticed since you are either typically driving more aggressively in those modes or you're above 3500 RPM...in either case cylinder deactivation is inactive.
Straight from self study guide "The system is also operational in the S-mode of the automatic transmission and in the “dynamic” map of Audi drive select."
Also TCU tune does not change cylinder deactivation in any way.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
FWIW cylinder deactivation is still active in Full Dynamic mode S or M. It just may be less noticed since you are either typically driving more aggressively in those modes or you're above 3500 RPM...in either case cylinder deactivation is inactive.
Straight from self study guide "The system is also operational in the S-mode of the automatic transmission and in the “dynamic” map of Audi drive select."
Also TCU tune does not change cylinder deactivation in any way.
That's my understanding as well. Just took a quick test drive, and it does in fact drop out 4 cyl when in dynamic mode (S to M shifter method). Appreciate you guys chiming in, hoping there's enough interest out there to warrant a company like APR taking this on. One can wish, anyway...
Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I recently test drove a new 2016 S6 and a used used A8L with the 4.0T. Most of the driving was on back roads with the transmission in S, and I probably didn't get into four cylinder mode much, if at all. I will pay more attention to that feature if I follow up with these vehicles, which isn't likely. I am probably predisposed to dislike COD because I love the feel of the NA V8 in my 2007 A8.

I was extremely put off by the information that stop/start will be permanent beginning in 2017, and also by the extreme low speed throttle lag on the new S6. The throttle lag was so bad that I commented to the salesman that the car must not have been driven much because it almost stalled. It took a while for it to dawn on me that this was simply the throttle lag issue.

Anyway, although I otherwise really liked the driving dynamics of the S6, and it was better than the long wheel base A8 I drove, I've decided that I am just going to keep my ten year old A8 indefinitely. I'm starting to think that we have reached the automotive high water mark--I don't know exactly where--and that the gas mileage driven features are taking cars down a path I'm not excited about.

Fortunately, my fleet may be adequate to enable me to run out the clock.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
I was extremely put off by the information that stop/start will be permanent beginning in 2017...
Fear not: stop/start may be deactivated in the 2017 S6 by a switch on the dash.

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
... and also by the extreme low speed throttle lag on the new S6. The throttle lag was so bad that I commented to the salesman that the car must not have been driven much because it almost stalled. It took a while for it to dawn on me that this was simply the throttle lag issue.
I've only had the '17 S6 for 8 days, swapped for a '13 S6. The throttle lag and downshifting seem GREATLY improved over the '13, despite having had all the software updates applied to the old car.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

DGVR6 found this VCDS setting:
Is it true we can disable cylinder deactivation mode?

Quick Reply: Death to Cylinder Deactivation