Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - Present

The DEFINITIVE Definitive Word on the Throttle Lag Issue(?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 212616

Default The DEFINITIVE Definitive Word on the Throttle Lag Issue(?)

Just picked up my car from the 15k service. Also had TSB 2035235/2 performed, as my EPC light blinked on on the way to the dealer. The say this update addresses both the EPC light and the hesitation. However, I forgot to ask for an actual copy of the TSB, and can't find it online.

It works. I thought it was in my head at first, but it really does seem to have eliminated the lag. I accelerated several times from a rolling stop, and the lag was gone. I still need to try it out on my go-to test spot, but I think this did the trick.

My advice is to get this TSB done immediately if you have the lag issue.

Also, does anyone have access to the TSB? I'd love to read a copy of it.

2014 Scuba Blue Q5

*Need VCDS Mods in Southern NH?*
Will mod for beer!
nobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 262333

Default Can't find TSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
Just picked up my car from the 15k service. Also had TSB 2035235/2 performed, as my EPC light blinked on on the way to the dealer. The say this update addresses both the EPC light and the hesitation. However, I forgot to ask for an actual copy of the TSB, and can't find it online.

It works. I thought it was in my head at first, but it really does seem to have eliminated the lag. I accelerated several times from a rolling stop, and the lag was gone. I still need to try it out on my go-to test spot, but I think this did the trick.

My advice is to get this TSB done immediately if you have the lag issue.

Also, does anyone have access to the TSB? I'd love to read a copy of it.
Could you please ask the dealer for the TSB #. I can't find any ref. Is this different from the TSB that remapped the tranny to get rid of harsh downshifts? I had that done about 7 mos ago and it helped the downshifts but not the "lag". Thanks.
DD1546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1546 View Post
Could you please ask the dealer for the TSB #. I can't find any ref. Is this different from the TSB that remapped the tranny to get rid of harsh downshifts? I had that done about 7 mos ago and it helped the downshifts but not the "lag". Thanks.
This is NOT the same as the tranny update. The only number they have is the update number posted above. They don't actually call it a TSB, which may be why it's not available online. They called it a "software update as per bulletin 2035235/2".

2014 Scuba Blue Q5

Will mod for beer!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 263197

I just emailed my sales guy at the dealer to see if I can get this done. I will be so psyched if this works.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuCANE View Post
I just emailed my sales guy at the dealer to see if I can get this done. I will be so psyched if this works.
If it works, it's like a whole new car. I was seriously considering selling my S6 due to this issue.

BTW, my SA said this update was released in late January 2014, so MAY explain why some 2014s don't seem to have the issue. Can you confirm your build date?

2014 Scuba Blue Q5

Will mod for beer!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
If it works, it's like a whole new car. I was seriously considering selling my S6 due to this issue.

BTW, my SA said this update was released in late January 2014, so MAY explain why some 2014s don't seem to have the issue. Can you confirm your build date?
I picked mine up in early November of last year. My car was in for 500k service recently but I guess they didn't do the update.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
I picked mine up in early November of last year. My car was in for 500k service recently but I guess they didn't do the update.
My understanding from my SA is this update is not like a TSB or a recall. She said something about it being "on the technician side". They will only apply it if you complain using the magic words: in this case, EPC light. They won't automatically apply it to every car they're doing routine maintenance on.Unfortunately, the EPC light isn't something that you can fool them on; it throws a OBD-II code which they need to verify. I think a lot depends on your relationship w/ your dealer. Worth a shot, though.

2014 Scuba Blue Q5

Will mod for beer!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, the dealer said they have to check the fault codes to see if this update applies. My appointment is Monday so I hope it isn't a waste. I have to convince them to update it somehow.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Yeah, the dealer said they have to check the fault codes to see if this update applies. My appointment is Monday so I hope it isn't a waste. I have to convince them to update it somehow.
You may be able to find someone with a VCDS local to do a quick scan before then to let you know if its worthwhile or not. Just be sure they don't clear any faults they find.

Of course, it's also always possible you can talk them into the update even without the fault, too. Good luck.

2014 Scuba Blue Q5

Will mod for beer!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member

I have one but since I have never seen the engine light I have to assume the fault code isn't present. i am being up front with them and I will see where that gets me.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569

Malibu, there are all sorts of codes that can be set, some soft, some hard. And not all turn on the MIL, so it might be worth doing a quick scan.

I have to add that this is potentially exciting news. The throttle lag on my A4 2.0T is dreadful. It really spoils an otherwise great car.
uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
AudiWorld Member

I found what I believe are the details for this bulletin on the NHTSA Safecar.gov site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...nK!-2015685618

Quote:
Service Bulletin No.: TSB-01-13-36
Component(s): ENGINE , FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE NHTSA ID Number: 10054273

Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc.

SUMMARY:
AUDI: SOME VEHICLES ENGINE WARNING LIGHT SPORADICALLY ILLUMINATES, WOULD HAVE REDUCED PERFORMANCE WITHOUT LOSS OF POWER/STALLING OR NOISE COMING FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT DUE TO LOW SYSTEM VOLTAGE, AND NOT ENOUGH ON/OFF RATIO TO KEEP FUEL METERING VALVE CONSTANT IN ALL AREAS, THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE NEED TO BE UPDATED. MODEL 2013-2014 S6, S7, A8, S8. *PE

2014 Scuba Blue Q5

Will mod for beer!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
AudiWorld Member

Just wanted to clarify that I am now fully convinced this TSB corrects the hesitation issue. I've now driven through several areas that tended to cause the hesitation (closely spaced, quick-changing traffic lights) multiple times, and have felt no sign of it.

Get it done!

2014 Scuba Blue Q5

Will mod for beer!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
AudiWorld Member

Default Never Seen the Light!

Quote:
I have one but since I have never seen the engine light I have to assume the fault code isn't present. i am being up front with them and I will see where that gets me.
I have never had the light flash so I presume there is no error code. However, I have experienced the lag phenomenon. Any luck in getting this TSB done in the absence of the light signal? Please let us know as this will provide leverage for the rest of us. My dealer has been good about TSBs in the past.
Thanks.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #15
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 86475

I also have major throttle lag to the poj t where I almost got into a major accident crossing traffic. I am a few thousand miles from the 15k service. I will push them on it to the point where I won't pick up the car until its done. This is a MAJOR safety issue.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #16
AudiWorld Member

Default Did the dealer do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccap View Post
I also have major throttle lag to the poj t where I almost got into a major accident crossing traffic. I am a few thousand miles from the 15k service. I will push them on it to the point where I won't pick up the car until its done. This is a MAJOR safety issue.
Does your ESC light ever go on? Mine doesn't but I have the dreaded lag occasionally. Did your dealer do it and did it make a difference? Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 86475

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1546 View Post

Does your ESC light ever go on? Mine doesn't but I have the dreaded lag occasionally. Did your dealer do it and did it make a difference? Thanks
My light has never come on. The lag is there to the point where I have to think ahead on driving conditions and think can I take that turn without getting killed? Most of the time I wait because I don't trust the car.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 178343

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccap View Post
My light has never come on. The lag is there to the point where I have to think ahead on driving conditions and think can I take that turn without getting killed? Most of the time I wait because I don't trust the car.
Oh man, that is exactly how I feel. The car is perfect in so many ways, but this lag is going to kill someone eventually. I hate braking for a quick right-hand turn and having the car coast for two seconds before it decides to accept the fact that I'm pressing on the throttle. Ruins the whole experience.

I've nearly sold the car half a dozen times, but I keep talking myself into keeping it and modifying how I drive it. It's so good in so many ways and I have no guarantee that whatever I buy to replace it is going to work any better since I hear that some other cars have the same problem.

2013 Audi S6
2010 Audi R8 V10
2013 Mazda Miata MX-5 GT
2010 Audi S4
SMK_RS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #19
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK_RS4 View Post
Oh man, that is exactly how I feel. The car is perfect in so many ways, but this lag is going to kill someone eventually. I hate braking for a quick right-hand turn and having the car coast for two seconds before it decides to accept the fact that I'm pressing on the throttle. Ruins the whole experience.

I've nearly sold the car half a dozen times, but I keep talking myself into keeping it and modifying how I drive it. It's so good in so many ways and I have no guarantee that whatever I buy to replace it is going to work any better since I hear that some other cars have the same problem.
Get the update done! By polite but insistent with your dealer. I too was contemplating selling, but now it's like a whole new car.

2014 Scuba Blue Q5

Will mod for beer!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #20
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 258448

I recently took my S6 to the track where they had a wet figure 8 set up to test under/oversteer.

When ESP was on I noticed after a hard brake and turn in I would get on the gas and there would be a delay.

I then tried it with ESP offer and the delay was gone. Perhaps its not related.

I have USB HEX+CAN VAG-COM cable, if you need mods let me know.
Xtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
24702599, a6, acceleration, audi, car, current, due, epc, lag, problem, q7, s6, software, supply, update