S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

The DEFINITIVE Definitive Word on the Throttle Lag Issue(?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyG0925
Has anyone with a 2014 been successful in getting the TSB applied? If so, what was the result?
Yes, that is want I want to know before I carmax this lagging sports car.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's an interesting tid bit that some on this forum might appreciate.

I took the car to the dealer yesterday because i saw an interesting TSB on this forum, in the body of tarunck's service log, related to a vibration at 1,000 and 3,000 rpms. I contacted tarunck who said that he had no vibration but the TSB was applied anyways. I have noticed a vibration that seems to occur at those RPMs.

I drove my S7 with a Tech who thinks he may know what the problem is. Apparently, the front down pipes that Audi chose for the 4.0T engine on the S6, S7, A8 etc. don't dampen the vibrations appropriately. The tech said that while the issue is much more subtle on the S7/S6 and harder to diagnose, since it typically occurs at the same rpms where the shift is programmed. To futher diagnose we drive the car in M mode and he tried to hold certian RPMS to see if the vibration came out. The tech said that the issue is much more obvious in the A8, including through the 2015 model, and they're working with Audi to determine the right process and get down pipes that are more appropirately designed.

Notably, the tech said that the first step audi suggests before they can replace the down pipes is the TSB that was noted in tarunck's service log. If anyone is frusturated with this very slight, barely noticable vibration, that is throttle dependant, you might want to discuss with your service person.

Last edited by sumo2003; 03-02-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
They applied the 2035235/2 update and, as far as I can tell, the car is much more responsive. It snowed again last night and the roads are crappy, so I'll have to drive it some more in better conditions to be sure.
Well, after some more time driving my car, I have to say that my first impressions were correct. Throttle response is waaaay better now. The previous throttle lag (which, in retrospect, feels like lean tip-in in a poorly tuned carburettored car) is now pretty much gone. In fact, what annoyed me so much when slowing down and making turns was actually present at all times - I just thought that was inherent to this particular powertrain.

Standard (non-Sport) mode feels more like Sport and is very nice when just toodling around town (better throttle response without the higher shift points). I drove for a bit with the Lap Timer showing and can confirm that boost onset is earlier and present with partial throttle (before, it would take more throttle and rpm to get the gauge to start showing boost). It seems that they must have fiddled with the boost controller too, to good effect.

As someone else said, it makes the car fun all over again. Whatever it takes to get this update done, do it. Best "mod" ever - one with no chance of a TD1.

Last edited by DeerHunter; 02-27-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by sumo2003
...If anyone is frusturated with this very slight, barely noticable hesitation, that is throttle dependant, you might want to discuss with your service person.
I'm a bit confused...you were addressing a vibration issue, so did you mean to say vibration instead of hesitation?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

So the 2013 has this problem & the TSB can fix it.

The 2014 is not allowed to get this fix but has this problem, sometimes?

Does the 2015 S6 have this problem?
Old 03-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I'm a bit confused...you were addressing a vibration issue, so did you mean to say vibration instead of hesitation?
Yes - Correct - vibration, not really a hesitation at all. Incidentally, the TSB didn't fix the issue i'm experiencing. According to the Tech who drove with me, he drove another S7 and it felt similar, so perhaps its "just the way the car drives". I'm going to check it out with another dealership after this god awful winter in Massachusetts finally ends.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goliath1
I go next Monday with the same software update request...as well as a couple of other things...wish me luck...and I am willing to pay for the update if they give me that pushback...early 2013 as well.
UPDATE: Per the S/A...The TSB TSB 2035235/2…. Or software update 24702599 does not apply to my car as this is a fuel pressure issue and my car doesn't need nor require this upgrade? It is staying overnight for the 35k service which requires a cold tranny before they can perform the service...we'll see where this goes but I am not optimistic....

UPDATE: only 35k service performed. Tech says he cannot duplicate hesitation...related TSBs say to check tranny fluid...and since they did the 35k service which includes new tranny fluid they really did nothing...

AND...the thump I hear coming from the rear they could not reproduce...

at least they delivered the car to my home since I was not in the office which is near the dealer...

It is in my driveway until I go to the office tomorrow and see if it drives any better.

Last edited by goliath1; 03-03-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently had my 25K service done when they wouldn't apply 2035235/2 due to tune. I contacted my SA again and he told me it wasn't denied because of tune, but rather it would probably overwrite my tune. I told them that's OK since I considered it a safety issue and they said OK as long as I signed something that said I understood the tune might get erased.

I got the car back today and 3 TSBs were applied:

2035235/2 for ECM update -- this is the one that fixes the throttle lag which I suggested I would pay for if AoA wouldn't authorize (they did FWIW)

2036392/2 for J931 update -- to address "vibration at 1000 and 3000 rpm"

2039267/1 for TCM update -- "Bump after coming to a stop or rattle from transmission at idle speed".

I haven't yet driven the morning commute when the throttle lag shows up often, but in the little driving I've done so far, the lag is either completely gone or at least greatly improved. Downshifts in S mode are much smoother. Up shifting in D mode seems to be a little less conservative, ie. it seems to be shifting a little higher at light throttle. I don't know what difference the last two TSBs made, but I don't think it hurt anything either.

I can also report that my APR tune appears to be gone. Power seems to be down and when I go through the cruise control stalk procedure to access the programming, I don't got the expected check-engine-light flashing that's part of the APR programming. Except for the inconvenience of having to visit the local APR dealer, it's not a big deal since I wanted to upgrade to V2.0 anyways.

I'll report back in once I can conclusively state whether 2035235/2 solved my throttle lag.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RobC
I recently had my 25K service done when they wouldn't apply 2035235/2 due to tune. I contacted my SA again and he told me it wasn't denied because of tune, but rather it would probably overwrite my tune. I told them that's OK since I considered it a safety issue and they said OK as long as I signed something that said I understood the tune might get erased.

I got the car back today and 3 TSBs were applied:

2035235/2 for ECM update -- this is the one that fixes the throttle lag which I suggested I would pay for if AoA wouldn't authorize (they did FWIW)

2036392/2 for J931 update -- to address "vibration at 1000 and 3000 rpm"

2039267/1 for TCM update -- "Bump after coming to a stop or rattle from transmission at idle speed".

I haven't yet driven the morning commute when the throttle lag shows up often, but in the little driving I've done so far, the lag is either completely gone or at least greatly improved. Downshifts in S mode are much smoother. Up shifting in D mode seems to be a little less conservative, ie. it seems to be shifting a little higher at light throttle. I don't know what difference the last two TSBs made, but I don't think it hurt anything either.

I can also report that my APR tune appears to be gone. Power seems to be down and when I go through the cruise control stalk procedure to access the programming, I don't got the expected check-engine-light flashing that's part of the APR programming. Except for the inconvenience of having to visit the local APR dealer, it's not a big deal since I wanted to upgrade to V2.0 anyways.

I'll report back in once I can conclusively state whether 2035235/2 solved my throttle lag.
Great news! Just curious: did they advise they actually TD1'd your car for the tune?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Great news! Just curious: did they advise they actually TD1'd your car for the tune?
On the prior visit before they started working on the car, I had talked to the tech and had him check the paperwork. My VIN was already flagged TD1, presumably from my 15K service.

Another day of driving with 2035235/2 has shown that the throttle lag is mostly eliminated. In addition the throttle response seems snappier all the time, like what you'd expect from a tune.

I'm getting my APR tune reinstalled this friday. I'm crossing my fingers that the throttle lag doesn't return.

Quick Reply: The DEFINITIVE Definitive Word on the Throttle Lag Issue(?)